PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson relative strength

Tatume
10-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Hello Folks,

How strong are the Dan Wesson 44 Rem Mag revolvers?

Thanks, Tom

FLHTC
10-29-2014, 06:24 PM
I don't know how strong they are since I never push a firearm to it's limits but, I can say that they are one of the most accurate double action revolvers I've ever owned. I had a couple of them over the years, with the first being a 15-2 357 mag. Cast handloads would punch holes that touched each other at 25 yards. I couldn't ask more from a revolver.
I would certainly say that they are as strong as they need to be.

williamwaco
10-29-2014, 06:51 PM
I have no idea.

I expect very few people here have ever had one in their hands.

I know what they are and have seen them at gun shows but never owned one or even known anyone who owned one.

prsman23
10-29-2014, 07:01 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/29/1c41218624d02efba097b7c7ff9b09ed.jpg

I don't know about the 44 mag. But if my 445 supermag is a good reference. They are plenty strong. Untold number of rounds through it and still kicking.

Multigunner
10-29-2014, 07:05 PM
A fellow brought one over to see if I could get the barrel off for him. The bore had a number of deep rings.
A closer look at the outside revealed the barrel had bulged into the cut outs down each side. Only way to put a new barrel on that specimen would be to cut the old barrel and shroud off just ahead of the frame.

The frame looks plenty strong, it would have to be to have handled whatever ridiculous load bulged the barrel that badly. The slender barrel itself is the weak point, though these should hold up to any reasonable loads.

Multigunner
10-29-2014, 07:08 PM
PS
On second thought I'm not sure if that revolver had the cut outs in the shroud or whether it simply bulged the shroud where the bulges were in the barrel. Its been some years ago and I may have some mixed up memories with another similar revolver.

dubber123
10-29-2014, 07:57 PM
I only have experience with 1, and my brother owns it. He used a SBH, and the DW for IMHSA for a few years. The SBH is still ticking, the timing is off on the DW. His particular DW specimen was a problem child since day 1, so it might not be a fair comparison.

taco650
10-29-2014, 08:49 PM
I've had mine since 1988. Many, many rounds through it. Bought it brand new and sent it back to the factory to get partridge sights installed and a trigger job. Trigger job had to be redone but they re-did for free. The single action pull was pretty light when it was done (like I wanted it). The stock wood grips fit my hand perfectly! I got a non-ported barrel for it so I could shoot lead and never looked back. The only loads that weren't accurate in it are my 310GCFP Lee cast. It has a little flame cut on the frame near the forcing cone but other than that, its still going strong. Mine is a 6" barrel with the light weight shroud. My only complaint with it is that the light single action pull has worn in and gotten lighter over time and is now SCARY LIGHT! I just lightly rest my finger on the trigger and when the sights look right it goes off. No day dreaming allowed with it now so I mostly fire it double action. Also wish I'd gotten an 8" heavy shrouded barrel for it but that's life. I picked up an 1982 vintage Ruger SBH with the 7.5" barrel last year so that meets the long barrel needs. BTW, the SBH is lighter than the DW even though it has 1.5" more barrel.

And to answer the original question by the OP, DW's are very strong and durable. Just wish the company that made them was the same way. Oh well.

aspangler
10-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Bought my DW 357 in 1974. MANY 1000's of rounds down the barrel some pretty stiff and NO malfunctions. It will still shoot 6 shot 50 yard groups in the 1 1/2 to 2 inch range if I do my part. And NO IT IS NOT FOR SALE!

Bullwolf
10-30-2014, 02:37 AM
I would say the Dan Wesson 44 Magnum revolver is incredibly stout. It was durable enough that the 445 Supermag Dan Wesson was built on the same frame. The 445 Supermag just has a somewhat longer cylinder, along with a slightly longer ejector shroud cut on the barrel shroud.

"Ruger only" and Thompson Contender data is more than capable of being used in the Dan Wesson revolvers

Anything I'd shoot in my Super Redhawk, I would also shoot in the model 744 or 7445 Dan Wesson, and that says a lot right there.

I will add that red line max loads are not how I get my kicks. If they were I would likely shoot 445 Supermag level loads constantly, instead of loads more along the lines of 10 grains of Unique behind a 240 grain .431 boolit.

You are not likely to shoot a 44 magnum Dan Wesson revolver loose with a constant diet of heavy, or Ruger only level loads.

I know that when I am doing any warm or heavy 44 load development, I personally reach for the Dan Wesson revolver first.

http://www.danwessonforum.com/wp-content/gallery/bullwolf/2014/05/445-6-inch-BA-Close-Up.JPG

Buffalo Bore's list of which firearms will accept their +P+ 44 Magnum loading includes the Dan Wesson.

(At higher velocity than I'd ever try to push such a heavy boolit in a 44 Mag)

BUFFALO BORE NEW HEAVY 44 MAGNUM +P+
Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. L.F.N. - G.C.
(1,478 fps/M.E. 1,649 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. L.F.N. - G.C.
(1,478 fps/M.E. 1,649 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

NEW HEAVY 44 MAGNUM +P+
This new load is designed ONLY for certain firearms. They are as follows; Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk, Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull, Colt Anaconda and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, "modified" Marlin 1894 (see next paragraph), Winchester 1894, any rifle with a falling block action and the Handi Rifle. We get hundreds of emails asking if this load can be fired in S&W revolvers or some firearm other than what is in the above list. The answer is NO. The above list is all inclusive. If some shooters continue to irresponsibly use this product, we may have to discontinue it and that would be unfortunate as it is our best selling 44 mag. load and it gives great performance for those that use it responsibly however, as is always the case, irresponsible use of any product ends up penalizing responsible users.

You can find quite a bit more information about the durability of the large frame 44 magnums at the Dan Wesson forum.
http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/

- Bullwolf

Mohillbilly
10-30-2014, 05:09 AM
I have 3 a 715 6 inch .357 and a stainless 8 inch , and a 10 inch blue .455 supermag . all will take incredible strong loads . I once made a box of top loads in January that extracted fine , and fired in July that I had to pound out with a board . I took those to Alaska to use up . Too hot in ST.Louis on the forth of July . My Dan and super Redhawk were equal in my perception .

Moonie
10-30-2014, 12:40 PM
PS
On second thought I'm not sure if that revolver had the cut outs in the shroud or whether it simply bulged the shroud where the bulges were in the barrel. Its been some years ago and I may have some mixed up memories with another similar revolver.

I had a 7445 SM Dan Wesson with the cut outs on an 8" barrel. I would think if a 44 had bulged through the slots then it must have been an extreme overload as I shot very stout loads in that .445 and never had any issue with removing the barrel. I do know some of them had issues if they had the porting and shot cast boolits through them, something about the ports getting filled with lead and tying the barrel to the shroud in that area. Never heard of one bulging though.

cbrick
10-30-2014, 04:34 PM
I have no idea.

I expect very few people here have ever had one in their hands.

I know what they are and have seen them at gun shows but never owned one or even known anyone who owned one.

That sounds so strange, not doubting you it's just that I know few people that haven't owned a couple of them, at the very least shot them. Must be the old silhouette shooter in me. :mrgreen:

Before the advent of FA in long range silhouette Dan Wesson's ruled supreme in Master/International class revolver at State, National and International Championships. A fairly rare sight at these matches were Ruger's and even more rare were S&W's. The Smith's that did show up didn't last long, many were accurate enough but wouldn't take the constant full house loads needed to reliably take the 200 meter ram and they would shoot loose. No such problem with DW.

Rick

taco650
10-30-2014, 05:22 PM
I had a 7445 SM Dan Wesson with the cut outs on an 8" barrel. I would think if a 44 had bulged through the slots then it must have been an extreme overload as I shot very stout loads in that .445 and never had any issue with removing the barrel. I do know some of them had issues if they had the porting and shot cast boolits through them, something about the ports getting filled with lead and tying the barrel to the shroud in that area. Never heard of one bulging though.

This is exactly why I bought an un-ported barrel for mine. Mine originally came with the "Power Control" barrel and shroud. I shot some lead reloads through it before realizing there would be a problem. Getting the shroud off after getting the un-ported barrel took some doing because of lead build up. I've still got the ported barrel but have never put it back in.

375supermag
10-30-2014, 05:25 PM
HI...

I have had a couple of Dan Wesson revolvers for some years now.

A .44Mag stainless and a .375Supermag...both are fine shooters and quite strong.
I shoot most of my high velocity .44Mag loads out of my Dan Wesson, I shoot slightly less powerful loads out of my SuperBlackHawk(the recoil seems more severe in the SBH than the Dan Wesson) and Virginian Dragoon.

My Model 29 doesn't get any load much more powerful than a 240grLSWC over 10gr of Unique.

As far as my opinion of Dan Wesson revolvers...I am so impressed that when I was looking for an accurate .22LR revolver earlier this year, I chose a Dan Wesson that I found at a local gun show.

We are still getting acquainted, but it is quite accurate to this point with about 6-7 different types of .22LR ammunition. With hunting season upon us, it will not be fully wrung out and dialed in until next year, but I expect it to be a superb groundhog and squirrel shooter.

If I were to run across another Dan Wesson revolver at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to make the purchase with full confidence(especially if it were a Monson gun).

Swede44mag
10-30-2014, 05:29 PM
I friend of mine had to send his Dan Wesson back to have the frame replaced after it cracked.
I bought a new Dan Wesson SS 44mag sent it back to the factory for many problems which the were all fixed to my satisfaction.
I should have not traded it off because the one I replaced it with needs to be tightened up.
I bought a cylinder throat reamer from Brownell's because the throats measured .427 would group the size of a 5 gallon bucket at 25 yards but after reaming to the correct size it shoots a tighter group than I can do without a scope.

cbrick
10-30-2014, 05:36 PM
The most amazing DW I've ever seen was a 7-30 Waters, didn't get to shoot it though. Seth Wesson attended the week long NRA National championships held at our range and brought this prototype with him, ya should have seen the cylinder on it. I spent the week trying to get him to sell it but no dice. It never did go into production and as far as I know it was the only one.

Rick

williamwaco
10-30-2014, 05:50 PM
That sounds so strange, not doubting you it's just that I know few people that haven't owned a couple of them, at the very least shot them. Must be the old silhouette shooter in me. :mrgreen:

Before the advent of FA in long range silhouette Dan Wesson's ruled supreme in Master/International class revolver at State, National and International Championships. A fairly rare sight at these matches were Ruger's and even more rare were S&W's. The Smith's that did show up didn't last long, many were accurate enough but wouldn't take the constant full house loads needed to reliably take the 200 meter ram and they would shoot loose. No such problem with DW.

Rick

Based on that recommendation, I will try to deal for the next one I find.

kweidner
10-30-2014, 10:13 PM
I have 2, a gold series 357 with 8", and a 741 in 41 mag with 6" and 8" shrouds and custom built barrels. they would be the last firearms I would part with. kill a few deer every season with the 41. longest kill with 41 was rested with the 6" open sights lasered at 112yds. Every thing I have ever pointed at was DRT. the custom bbls will put 6 in an inch at 100 scoped. it wears a red dot currently and just today shot 3" group at 100 with no magnification on red dot. 357 has an ewk barrel and with 38special loads will put a 125tc into a ragged hole at 25. 357 around an inch at 50 never stuck scope on it. Need another clamp on mount but they are like hens teeth to find and the one I have ain't coming off the 41 anytime soon.

DougGuy
10-30-2014, 10:36 PM
I had one in .45 Colt with a 4" barrel and an 8" barrel, you couldn't hurt that gun with any published Ruger/TC load. Wish I still had it!

rockrat
10-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Friend of mine had one he used to shoot in IHMSA. Don't know how many round he shot thru it, but let me tell you, they were a bit over book max. He finally sold it to another friend, and he shot loads probably even hotter. Never had a problem with the gun, and it shot lights out. Probably still going the last 25+ years since the other guy got out of IHMSA(too boring, always shooting 40's in about every class he shot).

MT Gianni
10-30-2014, 10:48 PM
I believe the Dan Wessons are much stronger than their older Cousin Smith. I have had a couple and like them.

MostlyOnThePaper
10-31-2014, 05:28 AM
I've had mine since 1988. Many, many rounds through it. Bought it brand new and sent it back to the factory to get partridge sights installed and a trigger job. Trigger job had to be redone but they re-did for free. The single action pull was pretty light when it was done (like I wanted it). The stock wood grips fit my hand perfectly! I got a non-ported barrel for it so I could shoot lead and never looked back. The only loads that weren't accurate in it are my 310GCFP Lee cast. It has a little flame cut on the frame near the forcing cone but other than that, its still going strong. Mine is a 6" barrel with the light weight shroud. My only complaint with it is that the light single action pull has worn in and gotten lighter over time and is now SCARY LIGHT! I just lightly rest my finger on the trigger and when the sights look right it goes off. No day dreaming allowed with it now so I mostly fire it double action. Also wish I'd gotten an 8" heavy shrouded barrel for it but that's life. I picked up an 1982 vintage Ruger SBH with the 7.5" barrel last year so that meets the long barrel needs. BTW, the SBH is lighter than the DW even though it has 1.5" more barrel.
And to answer the original question by the OP, DW's are very strong and durable. Just wish the company that made them was the same way. Oh well.

taco650,
Something like This:

http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_23&products_id=174

They're listed as out of stock, but there's a link to get an email notification when they're back in stock.

Randy

taco650
10-31-2014, 06:14 AM
taco650,
Something like This:

http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_23&products_id=174

They're listed as out of stock, but there's a link to get an email notification when they're back in stock.

Randy

Thanks!

osteodoc08
10-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Gotta compare DA to DA and SA to SA.

I feel the DW is an analog of the Ruger Redhawk, which wasn't listed. I have no basis for this other than opinion and having handled them over the years.

Moonie
10-31-2014, 12:52 PM
The most amazing DW I've ever seen was a 7-30 Waters, didn't get to shoot it though. Seth Wesson attended the week long NRA National championships held at our range and brought this prototype with him, ya should have seen the cylinder on it. I spent the week trying to get him to sell it but no dice. It never did go into production and as far as I know it was the only one.

Rick

I read a magazine article about this pistol, probably at that event. I was also amazed by it for 2 reasons, at the time I had a 7445 and my first firearm was a 7-30 Waters 'tender.

69daytona
10-31-2014, 01:08 PM
I have had my 44vent heavy pistol pack for 30+ years, have shot plenty of loads over 1500fps through it without ever having a problem, it has never been worked on and still is in perfect time with one of the lightest and best trigger pulls of any of my 80+ guns.
My pac has the 4",6" and 8" barrels and shrouds with the extra power ported barrels.
Had a S&W 29 with 8 3/8' barrel when I bought my Dan and it couldnt hold up to the 300gr round at 1000fps, It only took 120 rounds and the timing was shot spitting lead everwhere.
The Dans I have revolvers and pistols are a few of the guns I would never give up.

jonp
10-31-2014, 07:39 PM

Rick
Did you shoot it Rick?

cbrick
10-31-2014, 07:47 PM
The most amazing DW I've ever seen was a 7-30 Waters, didn't get to shoot it though. Seth Wesson attended the week long NRA National championships held at our range and brought this prototype with him, ya should have seen the cylinder on it. I spent the week trying to get him to sell it but no dice. It never did go into production and as far as I know it was the only one. Rick

Did you shoot it Rick?

Hhmmm . . . No, didn't get to shoot it.

Rick

taco650
10-31-2014, 09:53 PM

Rick

That had to be a LONG cylinder! Makes me think of the BFR revolvers.

superdan
11-01-2014, 01:45 AM
http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/general-messages/range-day-1/page-2/
Here is alink to a thread that talks a little about the 7-30 waters revolver that is now in a private collection.

cbrick
11-01-2014, 08:50 AM
I had spent 2 months talking Seth Wesson into attending the NRA National Long Range Handgun Championships for which I was putting on commercial row and was the Chief Range officer in 96? He finally agreed and brought the 7-30 with him to show off. No one fired it, not even Seth. Many stopped by to see it, I spent the week drooling over it and trying to get him to sell it. He made it pretty clear it was going to stay in his family, now it's in a private collection. The uniqueness of it demanded that it was something a revolver guy like me had to have. Oh well, what could have been huh?

Rick

cbrick
11-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Based on that recommendation, I will try to deal for the next one I find.

Seems they are getting pricey. The last one I found at a gun show here about a year ago was a new in box unfired 445 8". $1800.00. I haven't been pricing them but that seemed quite ridiculous to me, I would have loved to have that revolver but not at that price and the guy wouldn't talk price. I have no need of safe queens or wall hangers, if I have it I'm shooting it and I can get a brand new FA for less than that.

Rick

Tatume
11-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Collectors are driving the prices, but shooting guns are still out there. The going price for 44 Magnum DWs seems to be running around $800 - $1100 for guns in excellent condition and two or more barrels. This is well above the Blue Book valuation, but Blue Book is behind on this one. They will catch up eventually.

dubber123
11-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Collectors are driving the prices, but shooting guns are still out there. The going price for 44 Magnum DWs seems to be running around $800 - $1100 for guns in excellent condition and two or more barrels. This is well above the Blue Book valuation, but Blue Book is behind on this one. They will catch up eventually.

Unless the switch barrel feature or a lot of DA shooting is in order, before I paid $1,100 for a used DW, I'd seriously look at a used F/A. Just my personal opinion.

cbrick
11-02-2014, 11:13 AM
I just looked at CZ Dan Wesson page this morning. They say the 357 will be back in production late summer 2014 at $1,100. Didn't mention any other calibers.

Rick

Moonie
11-03-2014, 04:51 PM
I just looked at CZ Dan Wesson page this morning. They say the 357 will be back in production late summer 2014 at $1,100. Didn't mention any other calibers.

Rick

They have been saying that for years, the date has changed for at least the last 4 years.

cbrick
11-03-2014, 05:04 PM
They have been saying that for years, the date has changed for at least the last 4 years.

Hhmmm . . . Sounds like CZ has attended the Lyman school of new product introduction. :veryconfu

Rick

MostlyOnThePaper
11-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Over on the Dan Wesson forum I think they were talking about having shot one of the new ones, they might already be out and just not making a huge splash because of the price.

Love Life
11-03-2014, 08:23 PM
There is a DW in the S&S section.

MT Chambers
11-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Rick
CBRICK beat me to it, any six-gun that can stand up to revolver class sillywet comp. has to be strong.

Big Boomer
11-04-2014, 08:26 PM
I acquired a DW in .45 Colt several years back and bought 500 Starline cases and used that brass to work up loads for the DW and a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt. Then I had Hamilton Bowen build me a 5-shot Ruger Bisley
in .45 Colt. The 5-shooter is something else and quite accurate but the DW has a 6" bbl and the 5-shot Bisley has a 7 1/2 bbl. I've never shot a smaller group with the Ruger Bisley than I've shot with the DW. Of course, I can't load up the DW to the same level of a 5-shooter, but I shoot the same boolit, a 340 gr. WLNGC
by LBT. The front sight of the DW was too short and I had to make a taller sight and file it down in order to be on target at 100 yds. Those DWs are some kind of shooters. Only complaint with the DW is that the chambers are not tight. Swells the brass so much that after use in the DW, I can't get the brass sized small enough to use in the 5-shooter. Even at that and I'm almost 75 years young, I'm not parting with the DW. Big Boomer

beroen
11-05-2014, 01:17 PM
I have been drooling over old DW ads in some old pistol magazines I came across at a garage sale. Following this thread is just making it worse.

257X50
11-14-2014, 12:13 AM
What are the dimensions of the cylinder in comparison to other DAs?
Its a starting point.

Markbo
11-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Quite string? Sure. Very strong? Why not. Super Redhawk strong? Dont kid yourself. :lol:.

PerpetualStudent
01-13-2016, 12:10 PM
I found my DW at a gun show used (no idea how many rounds have been through it) for around 650. It's only a .357 but after reading this thread I'm thinking I might have gotten a better deal than I thought I did. It is the only 6in barrel revolver I've found that pointed naturally for me. SW 686 and Ruger GP100 point naturally for me with a 4in barrel, but not with a 6in. From handling I would have said the GP100 is a tougher gun, but I'm pleasantly surprised that the DW seems made of sterner stuff.

I probably wouldn't put a Contender only load in it but I tend towards the conservative end of reloading practices.

PerpetualStudent
01-13-2016, 12:11 PM
question: this thread mentions FA or F/A, I've not run into those and my google-fu is apparently not strong. What's the meaning?

james nicholson
01-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Freedom Arms

69daytona
01-15-2016, 01:56 AM
I have 4, 5 with the CBOB. A 44 mag that I have had since 83 and close to 30,000 rounds thought it, checked my loads on quickloads the other day and the two I use the most run 48-52,000 psi and have never had one problem with the gun.
the others are fairly new to me super mag sin 357, 375 and 445, just loaded 200 rounds each all maxed just to test them, not one problem except a few sticky cases on the 445. Cylinders will get polished soon.
I love Dan Wesson's.