PDA

View Full Version : Wipe-Out

tdoyka
10-29-2014, 03:38 PM
i recently cleaned(took 5 times to get rid of copper and powder) my 30-40 krag(1898 springfield armory made in 1903) and was going to shoot cast boolits from it. when i (dad did it, i have a disablity, stroke) slugged the barrel, copper and powder came out. now when i cleaned the barrel the gun rags came out clean. now it comes out dirty. i was using sweet's, but i am looking for something that will take it down to clean metal. it doesn't matter if i use sweet's or shooters choice to take out the powder fouling. does wipe out work? or is there something better?

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

andrew375
10-29-2014, 04:40 PM
I use wipeout and it is good; but not the be all and end all as some will tell you. Solvents are generally very specific in what they dissolve so you really need to use at least two; one for copper and one for powder residue and expect to do multiple rounds of cleaning as one solvent exposes the layer of fouling beneath the one it has removed.

A case in point. When I got my Mosin it got a blast of wipeout to get things started. It came out black! Next application came out grey with blue streaks. After 5 applications it came out clean. Then it was the turn of Sweets 7.62. I apply this on a nylon brush, pushing the dry brush out the muzzle and pouring the Sweets over and pulling it bak down the bore. This way the Sweets gets to oat the bore rather than the rod. I have NEVER seen Sweets react so violently or fast! It actually foamed up in the muzzle! I gave it 10 inutes and then pushed the resulting blue mud out. Two more applications and the Sweets came out clear. Application of wipeout came out dark grey. More Sweet's; more blue now a layer of powder fouling had been removed. Another cycle of foulout and Sweet's and things looks good. An application of Hoppes came out black the one following came out slightly discoloured so another go with Sweet's that came out slightly discoloured. In all it took a week to get to a point where all solvents came out clean and I was down to steel. With al my rifles it takes at least two wipeout / Sweet's cycles to get jacket fouling out.

Just in case you are wondering looking down the Mosin with a bore scope reveals absolutely no good news, except there are no sharp edges anywhere. Still puts 'em in the bull at a thousand yards though!

Multigunner
10-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Plugging the chamber and setting the rifle upright then pouring the bore full of Sweets 7.62 has worked for me in the past. Let it sit over night checking every so often to be sure the level of the solvent doesn't drop.
When it has soaked as much as it can you pour out the Sweets, scrub with a brush and push out the residue, then repeat as many times as necessary.
I made plugs from a large rubber eraser, using a Empty .45 ACP hull like a cookie cutter.

With one very obstinate bore I inserted a cleaning rid from the muzzle with a loose felt patch lightly wrapped with 0000 steel wool then poured the bore half full. The patch should not be a tight fit.
Every so often I'd ease the patch up and down the bore.
The steel wool would clear off the top layer of softened fouling letting more solvent make contact.
I finished up by first cleaning away all residue then using JB Bore Paste to clean away any slightly softened remainder.

It looked pretty clean and shiny then but it took a number of shooting sessions scrubbing the bore out between every three or five shot strings then using the bore paste again several times to get all traces of old fouling out.

When leaving a rifle on the wall for awhile I like to coat the bore with Balistol it continues to go to work on any old fouling so long as its moist.
When taking a rifle down once a week and running a patch through it I found the Balistol had loosened more fouling that had not been detectable before. I'd run a dry patch or two down the bore then a patch moistened with Balistol.

nekshot
10-31-2014, 08:48 PM
I started using that sentry barrel conditioner that is recommended for new barrels. I really like it. I started using it on old barrels now after I get them as clean as I can. I am convinced this bore treatment works at keeping fliers to a minimal and the first shot out of clean barrels is closer to "the groub".

M-Tecs
10-31-2014, 09:37 PM
Wipe-Out works great but it slow. Seems to remove copper and carbon better than most other single products.

tomme boy
10-31-2014, 09:54 PM
I use the stuff from Walmart. Shooters Choice. I spray it in over night and push it out in the morning. I have never had a Mosin or Mauser take more than 4 times to get clean. I always run a patch of regual solvent between the foam to make sure to get the powder out first.