PDA

View Full Version : ruger customer service

LUCKYDAWG13
10-29-2014, 03:02 PM
ruger customer service is not all that great i have a SBH that i have had for over 12 years now. for the most part
has been a safe queen this year i made up my mind to shoot it. well i could not hit a dame thing with it so i took
it to my gunsmith to see what was going on they told me that the front sight was put on wrong. and that they would
send it back to ruger they would fix for free. well ruger told them no that because the gun was 12 years old that they
would not fix it for free. so i gave ruger a call told me the same thing.but they would put a new barrel on for $168.
even if i had the money to give them i don't think that i would this is just BS i asked the lady if i could talk to someone
else about this she told me NO i asked her to go look at the gun its in mint shape except for the front sight
told me that she would review it and give my a call back sorry about my rant just had to vent

bubba.50
10-29-2014, 03:43 PM
they probably call old Bill "pinwheel" in the afterlife from all that spinnin' he does in his grave. stuff like this wouldn't flush while he was around. luck to ya & have a good'en, bubba.

enfieldphile
10-29-2014, 03:57 PM
LUCKY

Go on Ruger's website. There is a place where you can send a message directly to the CEO. He reads every one. He has responsible people address every issue that is brought up.

POLITELY (No Venting) explain the situation. If you recall the woman's name, all the better. Ask for his help in resolving the situation.

I had a problem w/ a Ruger rifle that had accuracy issues. I posted him a message. The next day a Ruger Dept head called. He treated me like a king! Sent a postage paid return label. 3 weeks later, I had a NIB replacement Rifle.

jmort
10-29-2014, 04:04 PM
I am sure they will fix it, they have worked on my returns for free, but how can you be so outraged if you sat on this for 12 years?

DougGuy
10-29-2014, 04:05 PM
You should have dealt directly with Ruger CS. They are TOPS and will bend over backwards to make a customer happy. Ask me how I know this, I had a couple of guns went back and they did absolutely what I asked them to do, AND MORE! Never charged me a nickel not even for shipping either way!

They DO apperciate a nice, polite, straight to the point letter/email, with photos, and put a well written note in the box with it when/if you send it.

Call them and keep calling them until you get to speak to Gil. Gil is THE MAN! TELL him the gun won't group, the sight is loose/installed wrong, etc. Then see how your luck runs with them!

I am sure they will fix it, they have worked on my returns for free, but how can you be so outraged if you sat on this for 12 years?

Heh I sat on one that wouldn't shoot worth ch*t for 17yrs and they fixed it free, plus shipping, plus put a SBH hammer on it, AND a birdshead grip frame! Polished the daylights out of it, and sent it back! (LOL After they told me they put a BISLEY grip frame on it! Haha they rode that one HARD too, even the girl that called to tell me to be home to sign for it said it was a Bisley...) And then I open the box, and found the pistol you see in my avatar! All done up, and shooting DEAD NUT to the point of aim!

LUCKYDAWG13
10-29-2014, 04:14 PM

things come up in your life and things get put on hold. how can i be upset after 12 years if i new 12 years ago that the sight was put on wrong it would have been sent right back but i did not know about it

i will go on there web sight and see how i can contact the C E O

Tatume
10-29-2014, 04:36 PM
This doesn't compare well with my experience with Ruger customer service. They have always treated me better than I could reasonably expect, and have never charged me for a part or labor, or even return shipping. They have replaced barrels on several guns, a couple of which were completely worn out, no charge. I returned a Mini-14 once and they replaced everything but the serial number! (Even the magazine!). Ruger has the best customer service in the world.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-29-2014, 04:41 PM
got a call back from the lady that i spoke to told me they would revue in the morning with there head TEC
i did send in email too we will see tomorrow

i would like to add that my gunsmith called them too

bedbugbilly
10-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Wow . . . I've had lot's of Rugers and never had to send anything back to them . . . but then I didn't wait 12 years either to find out that there was a problem. I had a similar problem though with an Edsel I bought new . . . darn thing set in the garage for 15 years and when I finally got around to drive it, the tire was flat . . . and can you believe it? Ford wouldn't fix it! I'll never buy another Ford again!

C'mon . . . Ruger has excellent customer service and they will usually take care of a problem even on an older gun . . . but then it all depends on how you approach the problem as well. Personally, if I owned a handgun . . . or any gun . . . for 12 years and had used it very little and then discovered a problem . . . I would EXPECT to have to pay something to get it fixed. Nothing in this life is free and it "ain't a free ride". . . . although one of the biggest problems in this country today is that folks expect it to be. If it was mine and I'd had it 12 years and Ruger offered to fix it for free . . that's one thing . . but to expect it to be fixed for nothing is another story.

I'm just curious . . . do you expect other products that you buy to have a lifetime warranty and be fixed for free? If you expect a free ride . . . somebody has to pay the tech to fix that pistol . . has to pay the overhead on the facilities they work in, has to pay the insurances, etc. . . . . and I doubt what profit there was in a pistol 12 years ago is going to begin to even cover those items.

If Ruger is kind enough to fix it on their dime . . . good. If not . . . maybe the problem should have been "discovered" when the gun was first purchased?

FLHTC
10-29-2014, 06:31 PM
I've heard of their barrels not being indexed correctly but never a front sight incorrectly silver soldered. Yes the "Ask the CEO" link has some teeth. I would venture to say that posting here didn't hurt either. I'm sure that Marketing reads these forums and certainly don't like to be drug through the mud over a simple fix.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-29-2014, 07:18 PM
it's a factory defect so yes i expect it to be fixed for free. if your 13 year old car has a recall factory Defect would you expect to pay to have it fixed. the sight was put on wrong at the factory

Wise Owl
10-29-2014, 09:14 PM
LUCKY

Go on Ruger's website. There is a place where you can send a message directly to the CEO. He reads every one. He has responsible people address every issue that is brought up.

POLITELY (No Venting) explain the situation. If you recall the woman's name, all the better. Ask for his help in resolving the situation.

I had a problem w/ a Ruger rifle that had accuracy issues. I posted him a message. The next day a Ruger Dept head called. He treated me like a king! Sent a postage paid return label. 3 weeks later, I had a NIB replacement Rifle.
Absolutely this ^^

rockrat
10-29-2014, 09:29 PM
I can't praise Ruger customer service.
I have a Ruger #1 in 460 S&W that will only fire about 1/3 of the time. Looking at the breechblock, it looks like a hole was drilled in the wrong place, compared to other #1 breechblocks. I can take a breechblock from another #1 and it shoots everytime.
Sent it in (on my dime)with a letter explaing what was going on. Got it back in the same shape as I sent it in, excepting for the replacement front sight blade which flew off with the first shot. Sits in my safe. Won't pass this problem on to someone else.

huntrick64
10-29-2014, 10:35 PM
OP, I regret you have an issue. My positive experiences with Ruger has been duplicated by many. They are characterized by doing the right thing, but that doesn't mean they will ALWAYS do the right thing. They recently fixed a factory defect for me on a single-six .22 manufactured in 1958! No charge.

Not every experience that I have had with Ford has been positive, but they are still a good company to me and I still buy Ford trucks. That is the cool thing about America, you can buy a Smith, Taurus, Ruger, Ford, Chevy, even Toyota.

If I find that Ruger's customer service starts being characterized by "shoddy" work, then I will probably stop buying new Rugers and hang on tighter to my old ones. For now though, I'm still buying them.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-30-2014, 07:38 AM
this is not the only Ruger i own. my NM BH in 41 magnum is one of the best shooting guns i own my ruger SP101 is one of my carry guns
i even used the SP101 to qualify for my CC with. so this is not a ruger bash just my first experience with there customer service

LUCKYDAWG13
10-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Good news Rugers head technician looked at my pistol and they decided to fix it on their dime. i just got off
the phone with them they will put a new barrel on and reblue my pistol too but said it would take about two weeks
before it would be shipped back to my G/S. i dont understand why they need to rebarrel it and not just fix the front sight
but its getting fixed and will look like new
thank you Ruger

FergusonTO35
10-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Glad to hear it!!

DougGuy
10-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Dang call them back and ask if they can put the warning underneath the barrel, I bet they would! You got em on the trail now!

LUCKYDAWG13
10-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Dang call them back and ask if they can put the warning underneath the barrel, I bet they would! You got em on the trail now!

i was thinking about that was also thinking about a shorter barrel too. decided not to push it just happy to have it fixed

MtGun44
10-30-2014, 04:48 PM
As to the replace vs repair, probably quicker and lower cost for them to
just screw in a new barrel than try to rework the old one.

Bill

junkpile
10-30-2014, 09:41 PM
i was thinking about that was also thinking about a shorter barrel too. decided not to push it just happy to have it fixed

I thought the warning was underneath on all the newer revolvers. It is on all mine. Should be a new stock barrel, so it should be. Unfortunate that you've had so much problems with them. They're typically top notch.

Any customer service I've dealt with, I always ask for a manager, or a manager's manager. They're more interested in keeping customers than the people that typically answer the phone. Also, the phone people usually have a stock set of answers to give. As bad as it can be sometimes, I'm still very impressed with Ruger for providing American made products at a reasonable price, and expanding and creating more jobs for decent working Americans. I'm sure this is part of the reason that customer service has gone down hill. They've gained incredible ground and are sure to have loads of new workers at every facility.

You should be able to call in and get in touch with a smith or tech that is actually working on your gun if you try hard enough, and have enough patience to wait on the phone.

DougGuy
10-30-2014, 10:06 PM

As long as it doesn't change the stock number, they will change the length of the barrel on request. If it is a KBN44 for example, with a 4 5/8" barrel, and you want a 5 1/2" barrel and they shipped KBN44s with 5 1/2" barrels, they would likely do it.

You should be able to call in and get in touch with a smith or tech that is actually working on your gun if you try hard enough, and have enough patience to wait on the phone.

When I have called them, the tech I spoke with was reading from the paper letter I enclosed with the gun, and he was also reading notes that other Ruger employees like maybe the department supervisor, had written on the letter, like the supervisor wrote on there what to do with it and he was reading that.

Get hold of Gil if you can.. Well worth any amount of effort on your part, Gil is THE MAN.