PDA

View Full Version : barrel cleaning

salvadore
10-29-2014, 12:06 PM
I have 3 lever guns including a 39A that i may have leading issues with. yesterday at. The range I was getting groups double the size of the last session, ditto with the 39A, groups have grown over the years. I use various solvents and bore brushes but would like to hear how others remove the lead. Thank you.

Remiel
10-29-2014, 12:43 PM
here is a couple links in the form to help
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?52276-Removing-lead-from-barrel-how-to
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-10977.html

Pb2au
10-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Bore brush, wrapped with a bit of bronze wool to get it tight. Dribble a bit of eds red on and get to it with the elbow grease.

seaboltm
10-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Real tight bronze wool and elbow grease. Lewis lead removers also work good.

Dan Cash
10-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Montana Extreme lead remover. It is incredible.

Idaho Mule
10-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Google up the recipe for Ed's Red and follow the instructions. The stuff works quite well and you will have a lifetime supply to share with friends. JW

TXGunNut
11-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Montana Extreme lead remover. It is incredible.

I've been curious about the Montana Extreme products, looking forward to trying them.

Dan Cash
11-01-2014, 10:37 AM
I am a firm believer in the efficacy of Ed's Red for cleaning and turpentine for lead removal but recently got a bottle of the Montana Extreme (ME) lead remover as a door prize at a rifle match. My BPCR match rifle has been leading a little and I thought turpentine was getting it clean. The bore looked clean with a bore scope but when I used the ME cleaner after the turpentine, an amazing amount of lead came out. Brushing not required. They sold me.

TXGunNut
11-01-2014, 12:28 PM
With the possible exception of a few .22's I don't think I have a leaded bore in the house. I prefer not to clean .22 bores until they demonstrate the need and then prefer not to risk damaging wear by scrubbing them. The rifles and revolvers I cast for simply don't accumulate lead in any significant quantities and a normal cleaning is all that's required. I've been very fortunate in that regard, I guess. I think I saw ME products at Cabela's last trip there. May just brave the race traffic for a trip down there. Gun Library guys sent me a "Get Well Soon" card because they haven't seen me in a few weeks, lol.