PDA

View Full Version : Gimmicks sometimes pay off!

oldred
10-29-2014, 10:40 AM
I think probably most of us have gotten those stupid sales flyers from new car dealers trying to sucker people in with a key or some such to win a new car, also most of us just throw them away as junk mail -well ya just never know! About 15 years ago a neighbor actually took one of these things to the dealer showroom and it actually started the new Chevy Camaro which means he actually won the darn thing! All he had to do was pay dealer prep (which in this case was $1000, yeah right!!:rolleyes:) and sales taxes, still not bad for a new Camaro. Just yesterday I was talking to my cousin who less than a year ago did the same thing at another dealer and what brought up the subject is that someone else locally, neither of us knew him personally, has just done it also! In about 15 years or so that's three local people who have won new vehicles at these sales promotions so it looks as if maybe they are doing this honestly, I have always felt that even if (and it was a big IF) they actually did give away a new car it would go to a relative or good friend of the dealer.

Just thought this was interesting and I might not throw away the next one I get.

odfairfaxsub
10-29-2014, 11:13 AM
!!!!!!!

dakotashooter2
10-29-2014, 12:49 PM
All he had to do was pay dealer prep (which in this case was $1000, yeah right!!:rolleyes:) and sales taxes, still not bad for a new Camaro.

Dealer prep.... You pay THEM to put THEIR stickers on YOUR new car.

Bohica793
10-29-2014, 12:59 PM
All he had to do was pay dealer prep (which in this case was $1000, yeah right!!:rolleyes:) and sales taxes, still not bad for a new Camaro.

He is also required to declare the value of the Camaro as income to both the IRS and the state for income tax purposes. He will probably receive a 1099 at the end of the year with this dollar amount as the dealership is required by law to report it.

gkainz
10-29-2014, 01:35 PM
A friend of mine won a new Corvette a couple of years ago ... yeah, that "free" car had a pretty hefty tax bite at the end of the year. I always wondered why people sell them, tho. If you really wanted to keep it, i figured one could finance it just to cover the tax liability.

Forgetful
10-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Don't you also have to pay income tax for prizes? I remember reading about some guy winning a trip to low earth orbit and he couldn't accept the prize because he couldn't pay the tax on a $600,000 income gain.

Dealer prep.... You pay THEM to put THEIR stickers on YOUR new car.

Disgusting isn't it? Worse than paying your cable company for the privilege to watch commercials. Stickers aren't as bad as the dealerships that ream a hole in your trunk to clip-in a plastic sign promoting their business.

rr2241tx
10-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Well, of course you're not going to outrun the taxman but still, a new car for 35% of sticker price. I'll take that deal once a day and twice on Saturday. The nail lady next door to our shop won a new Harley a few years ago. She was just along as a pillion-warmer / eye candy at a Grand Opening. She still doesn't ride, but never has to worry about getting someone to take her to the rides.

waynem34
10-29-2014, 01:55 PM
i always make them take all the decals and badges off every truck.Plates only.No crome blacked out.If it were free i would remove myself hehe.

dakotashooter2
10-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Ask them what dealer prep is and watch them sputter and squirm..

dagger dog
10-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Things that I have done when prepping a new car,
re-torque cylinder head bolts, adjust valves, set timing, check CO2 and HC (adjust carb' or set fuel injection), re-torque all wheel lugs, reset tire pressure including spare, check seat belt retractors, plus fluid levels, lighting, set washer nozzles, check operation of sunroofs and convertible tops, check 4WD, and test drive for wheel balance, transmission performance, and a lot of other stuff.

The cars were steam cleaned when they came off the trucks, and detailed by the new car clean up person.

So don't go off believing that dealer prep is BS, there are a lot of dealers out there and some are honest working people.

Hardcast416taylor
10-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Anybody that deal a few years back about Oprah giving everybody in her studio audience a new car. I heard almost 3/4 of the people had to back away from the "FREE" offer due to the taxes.Robert

oldred
10-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Disgusting isn't it? Worse than paying your cable company for the privilege to watch commercials.

With TV being what it is today commercials are about all there is to watch, it has gotten so bad that it's become a case of having to interrupt the commercials for a program break! :roll:

This is one of the main reasons my wife and I dumped TV years ago and anything we watch now is on DVD, I honestly don't understand why the public puts up with it and pays those obscene cable bills for the privilege of doing so!

Bad Water Bill
10-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Every key that ever entered my mail box had 0 notches cut so why go to try a key you already know is a looser.:killingpc

Garyshome
10-29-2014, 11:10 PM
I never won a car.

Frank46
10-29-2014, 11:52 PM
When I bought my '07 gmc sierra had no vehicle inspection sticker. Spoke to a deputy I know and he said take it to the dealer and have them inspect the vehicle and put on the sticker. seems the dealer can be fined $$$ so much for dealer prep. Salesman who handled the sale got transferred. Frank