PDA

View Full Version : Large ring 98 mausers vs m-96 mauser action question

lonewolf5347
10-29-2014, 07:43 AM
I like to ask a question on sporter stocks
will a large ring 98 mauser stock have the same dimension as a large ring M-96 sweed mauser.
I am thinking in getting a sporter stock for the M-96 and using it for deer hunting with factory iron sights.
I do not want to drill and tap the m-96 keeping it original

Multigunner
10-29-2014, 08:19 AM
The Swedish 1896 Mauser is a small ring action. Normally a 98 large ring mauser stock would not fit, though its possible to fill in around the ring with accra Glass gel bedding compound.
This should not be necessary, there are sporter stocks available for the 96 Mausers. At one time many Swede Mausers were factory sporterized and fitted with black synthetic stocks.

Even among the 98 Mausers there are numerous variations and not all stocks will interchange.

The major dimensional differences that preclude use of some stocks is the distance between the trigger guard/action screws.

Best to get a stock made for the 96 action.
If a dirt cheap deal on a used stock came along I could see going to some considerable effort to modify the stock to make it fit.

Best to look up the differences in action lengths before going any further.
I'm sure some one here has this information handy and will help out.

lonewolf5347
10-29-2014, 09:37 AM
thank you
I thought it was a large ring but I found a web sight with all the spec:

Remiel
10-29-2014, 12:46 PM
here is a link to boyds, 69.00 + ship its unfinished bot its a start
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=7623&cat=1222

seaboltm
10-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Most large ring 98's are longer than small ring 96's, which means the actions and action screws would not line up. Not even close. There are ton's of options for 95/96 stocks. No need to go the alteration route.

pietro
10-29-2014, 06:56 PM

I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a pic of your "large ring Model 96 Mauser"................................................. :popcorn:

seaboltm
10-29-2014, 08:12 PM

I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a pic of your "large ring Model 96 Mauser"................................................. :popcorn:

He is no doubt referring to the intermediate large ring 98's, but you're right, it was poorly worded.

Huffmanite
11-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Buy the small ring Mauser stock for your M96 Swede. Mind you there are slight variations between all the various kinds of small ring mausers, but the spacing between the bolts thru trigger guard to the receiver should all be the same. Biggest difference in the small rings is the 91 Argentine mauser which has inlettings (mostly for the bottom metal) that are different than the other small ring variations.

LAGS
11-03-2014, 09:22 PM
The Yugo mauser have pretty much the same trigger guard screw spacing as the Small ring Mausers.
With a little fitting, and glass bedding, you can fit the small ring action to a Yugo stock.
But the Yugo action is usually too wide to fit in most Small ring stocks.