PDA

View Full Version : Convection toaster oven or regular?

boatswainsmate
10-29-2014, 01:01 AM
Hi all,
Looking to start powder coating bullets. I was wondering what type toaster was working the best for everyone. Thanks in advance!

OnceFired
10-29-2014, 01:22 AM
I picked up a convection oven at a garage sale. You want one that hits 400+ and the airflow is far more even. I found mine for $15.

See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218783-Will-this-work-well-for-powder-coating-and-or-polymer-paint&highlight=convection
(http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218783-Will-this-work-well-for-powder-coating-and-or-polymer-paint&highlight=convection)
OF

Smoke4320
10-29-2014, 06:37 AM
Convection will give a better smoother finish

iomskp
10-29-2014, 07:03 AM
I have two toaster ovens and they both do a great job.

Moonie
10-29-2014, 10:37 AM
non-convection ovens can have cool spots, a convection will be much better

bangerjim
10-29-2014, 12:12 PM
If you can find a used one or afford a new one, get a convection oven by all means. I threw away 2 standard ovens early on in this process due to hot/cold spots, melted & slumping boolits, under cured powder.

The airflow gives you nice even heating. Just get an oven thermometer to check the dial on the front which will probably be off by as much as 75F. They use cheap thermostats in toaster ovens.

banger

Freightman
10-29-2014, 12:51 PM
I got an oster at goodwill for $7 ck with them and ck often

Yodogsandman
10-29-2014, 05:12 PM
I just happened to stop at a church yard sale on Saturday across the road from the shooting range after shooting. They had two convection ovens, one for $5 and one for $6. I got them both!

The one I've checked ran 50F degrees hotter than the set temperature as tested with a cheap oven thermometer.

While a regular toaster was working fine, a convection oven has to be better. I noticed my last batch of HT'D boolits came out looking differently depending on their position in the oven.

Echd
10-29-2014, 05:25 PM
I got a new Oster at Roses (the most ghetto of ghetto department stores) for $40 the other week. Holds two large trays and have no complaints. Like many here I'm sure you can find cheaper, but I was tired of my ratty old one.

Convection is definitely more consistent than regular.

ambergrifleman
10-04-2015, 09:05 PM
What Brand or Model is a Good one to Get ? I want one with 2 racks in it. Just about to get Started PC ing.

gpidaho
10-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Mine is a Cusinart convection toaster oven (that's what was on the kitchen counter when I started powder coating) it works great. Gp

Pumpkinheaver
10-04-2015, 10:01 PM
I use a regular toaster oven with fine results.

Arnie
10-04-2015, 11:16 PM
I wonder if any one makes a small battery run fan that would hold up to oven heat ?

fredj338
10-05-2015, 02:33 AM
What Brand or Model is a Good one to Get ? I want one with 2 racks in it. Just about to get Started PC ing.
Walmart, Hamilton 12" pizza oven, two racks, under $60.

Artful
10-05-2015, 02:41 AM
I'm giving up my toaster for convection and haunted goodwill/salvation army/2nd hand stores until I found one like this.
https://patronsaintofknives.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/little-convection-oven-for-making-small-amounts-of.jpg

the heating unit and side cover lift off giving full access to the rack area - much easier to stack on then putting in the tray and then moving the tray.

merlin101
10-05-2015, 03:49 AM
I just went to goodwill and got one for $5. and then cut the bottom out of it. I can only do one rack at a time but I don't have to worry about moving the rack and tipping boolits over.

edler7
10-05-2015, 11:00 AM
We had a GE microwave/convection combination oven. The microwave part gave up the ghost, but the convection part had cooked maybe 2 pies and still worked well. Had to replace it, but the convection went down to the reloading room to heat treat boolits. Now it is the PC oven and works great.

popper
10-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Artful - I'd like to find a rig like that for an experiment. Use a different top with a slow speed fan - ESPC into the unit with the fan on, to get more even coverage. Maybe even apply HV to the blade. Then change tops and cook.
I blew out the HF gun tube with air this morning before coating and it worked much better for a while. It's been setting for a few months and damp powder coated the insides. The electrode got cleaned off too. The high $$ guns have a purge supply to do this.

bruce381
10-08-2015, 02:02 AM
""If you can find a used one or afford a new one, get a convection oven by all means. I threw away 2 standard ovens early on in this process due to hot/cold spots, melted & slumping boolits, under cured powder."'

true that, Mine was a free regular toaster oven and it melts boolits a convection would have been better but free is free.

Dragonheart
10-14-2015, 04:01 AM
I have a large Hamilton Beach that I have now used for over a year and it has now cooked thousands of bullets. I have tried both cooking cycles using the convection and just the standard bake and the convection is more even and heats up faster. My oven goes to 400 in 18 minutes so I just load it up set the timer and come back later to unload. The oven came with two wire racks and I made a third by cutting down a larger rack. I covered the wire racks with sheetmetal to give me a smooth flat surface. I have a Taylor glass oven thermometer that is very accurate attached to the front of my main rack that I can easily read through the glass oven door. As stated you can find a hardly used toaster ovens at a give away price or even buy a new convection oven at Costco for $47.

grmaryp3
10-14-2016, 07:08 AM
Well, $47 seems very good price to me. If it sells on Amazon, I will like to buy one! :) (http://bakingreview.com/oster-tssttvcg02-oster-6-slice-convection-toaster-oven-with-integrated-broil-rack-brushed-stainless-steel/)

Walter Laich
10-14-2016, 06:34 PM
mine was the cheapest toaster oven at WallyWorld; thinking $19

has worked like a charm. Can do 150+ per load which is more than I can load on the next tray while the first one is doing its 20 minute cook

greenhornet-1
10-15-2016, 11:39 PM
I'm giving up my toaster for convection and haunted goodwill/salvation army/2nd hand stores until I found one like this.
https://patronsaintofknives.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/little-convection-oven-for-making-small-amounts-of.jpg

the heating unit and side cover lift off giving full access to the rack area - much easier to stack on then putting in the tray and then moving the tray.

They have something like this at Walmart for 39.00 if i remember. Will check in the morn.

W.R.Buchanan
10-16-2016, 02:54 PM
My oven is a Delongie which my wife abandoned. It works great and all I am doing is turning it on at indicated 400F for 20 minutes.

I started preheating the boolits yesterday and the coverage is better, but so far I'm getting 95% perfect and 5% still usable, just not perfect. The Eastwood Gun works great and is very easy to use.

My oven is just a box with heating elements and I don't know if it is a convection oven or what. It has one heater on the bottom and one on the top for broiling. So I guess since the main heater is on the bottom it is a convection oven.

My .45 ACP boolits in Gloss Black look like the bumper nodes on a 57 Cadillac!

Randy

fredj338
10-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Convection will have a fan Buch.

greenhornet-1
10-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Walmart has what they call a Turbo convection oven for $29.00. Might have to try one!

DLCTEX
10-26-2016, 11:42 PM
I was given a convection oven recently and did not know what to do with it. Now I know.

Dragonheart
10-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Walmart has this one advertized, Hamilton Beach Countertop Oven with Convection Model 31121A $49.88. I can cook over 1200 bullets in mine as I use three racks. Mine is an older model, but has cooked thousands of bullets in the past years. It holds the temp and the dial is really close, but I always rely on my thermometer.

AbitNutz
10-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Walmart has this one advertized, Hamilton Beach Countertop Oven with Convection Model 31121A $49.88. I can cook over 1200 bullets in mine as I use three racks. Mine is an older model, but has cooked thousands of bullets in the past years. It holds the temp and the dial is really close, but I always rely on my thermometer.

That's exactly the one I have and it works really well. I only cook one batch of about 4.5 pounds at a time....about 1kg. It could cook twice that easily. I recommend a good oven thermometer as it tends to run a little high. I put a PID on mine just to see what it was. As I said, I have this exact one....I get great results and it costs almost nothing.

As far as the convection part goes...the fans it has are really quiet. The room has to be almost silent to hear mine...so be careful. You may not think they're running when they really are.

Loudy13
10-28-2016, 09:54 AM
I started with a regular oven that I got for free and it worked alright, found a delongi or delong whatever on craigslist for $30 it was pretty much brand new and it works like a charm holds temp great!! of course it could be a little bigger. If I find a full size convection for the right price its going in the garage!

Dragonheart
10-28-2016, 10:41 AM
I started with a regular oven that I got for free and it worked alright, found a delongi or delong whatever on craigslist for $30 it was pretty much brand new and it works like a charm holds temp great!! of course it could be a little bigger. If I find a full size convection for the right price its going in the garage!

One of my neighbors sold me a 30" convection wall oven for $30 when she remodeled her kitchen and it went into the garage for larger items. I made three more racks for it giving me a total of five racks just in case I decide to cast for a week or more because that is what it would take to fill it up for one cooking.

waksupi
10-28-2016, 12:20 PM
I got a little toaster oven at a garage sale for ten bucks. Works fine.

daloper
10-28-2016, 12:29 PM
I picked up an Oster Convection Oven at Best buy. Got it on sale but now they are $50.00. Model TSSTTVF816. Checked it with my thermometer and the dial its not that far off. Added an extra pan in the bottom to buffer the heat from the element.