PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 question

lead-1
10-28-2014, 11:29 PM
I have read that a butt pad from a wooden stock 12 guage 870 will interchange with any other 870 with no fitting required as long as it is is also a wooden stock.
IE, a Wingmaster will fit an Express or a police model as long as all are 12 guage.
Can anyone verify or dispute this? I need a butt pad for a police stock.

Frank46
10-29-2014, 12:33 AM
I recently bought two 870 police wood stock sets from a gentleman here on this forum. The two butt pads he generously gave me with the wood did fit the wood stocks I had purchased from him. When I tried them on the two police shotguns I own neither fit. This is not meant as a disparagement of the seller. Could have been that the pads had been finish ground to the purchased stocks, differences in how the wood between my shotguns had been finished or any number of things. I did buy two of the remington 870 pads and they fit correctly in all areas except the toe of the stock. Little too long. The police guns I have are on wingmaster actions and I compared them to an old 870 wingmaster I bought many years ago so I could hunt deer in upstate new york. There was a difference in overall fit. Around here it'll cost you to get a recoil pad fitted to just about any shotgun or rifle (100.00) So I'll just tolerate the slightly longer toe on the pad. Not at all really noticeable unless you really look at it. Think I paid $195 and 225 each for the 870's. Only one came with the extended mag tube, one has a 20" bbl the other has a 22" bbl. One stock set I refinished and stuck a limbsaver slip on recoil pad. and left off the hard as a rock factory pad. Frank

danski26
10-29-2014, 08:22 AM
If you want a police wood stock to try on your shotgun I probably have one laying around. PM me if needed.

lead-1
10-29-2014, 09:41 AM
I have a police wood stock and forearm but no butt pad. Without the proper tools to fit one or something close to it I don't want to start putting money into pads, that could get real expensive.

Hardcast416taylor
10-29-2014, 02:42 PM
I bought an "Express Magnum 870" about 15 years back. It had the black plastic butt and forearm on it. I bought a police dept. set of take offs from riot 870`s about 3 years back. The police wood fit perfectly when I removed the plastic furniture. The 870 looks a lot more like an 870 should now.Robert

pietro
10-29-2014, 03:02 PM

Generally, pads that weren't made/finished with the wood stock @ the factory will never fit another wood stock due to the variances in fitting.

It's not a big deal to fit an aftermarket pad - just measure the height/width of the buttstock's bare rear end, and buy a pad that slightly larger.

Screw the oversize pad to the buttstock end, mask off the wood for at leat 2" with TWO layers of yellw automotive masking tape - so that you will have a visual aid, as when to stop sanding the poversize pad down to the level of the wood (stop when the upper/outer tape layer starts to fray. (I use a disc sander attachment for a handheld power drill)

The only caveat would be to ensure that the bottom & top lines of the buttstock are continued through the entire thickness of the new pad.