PDA

View Full Version : 41 Hunter: A Sillywet Dream!

jethrow strait
09-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm afeared this is gonna sound a bit like a gunrag 'infomercial', but this boy pensioner rarely sees much truly 'new and improved' under the sun, and Ruger's 41 Super Blackhawk Hunter is it.

Dang thing comes out of the gate more than 11oz heavier than the standard BH41(41oz vs 52 oz per specs.), and mine actually weighs a full 54 oz. Thats before rings or scope. Fit is virtual perfection, unlike most of my other SA Rugers, and does it shoot. It's a dream to shoot on the 200M Big Bore/Long Range Silhouette Range. Doesn't beat ya up with a long string of full-house loads, and gets the job done.

I already had a 30 year old 41BH, that usually is the most accurate of all the Ruger SA chamberings for me, but the new SBH is like a whole new chambering with full house loads. It is fast replacing the 44M/SBH as my sillywet revolver of choice AND this handgun is actually getting me to do some serious long-range benchrest revolver shooting for the first time in my life. It's a new leaf, I tell ya!!!!!-------jethrow

GregP42
09-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Post us a picture jethrow, I want to see this beast! I know my BH41 shoots real good, but with full house loads it could do with a little more wieght in the caboose if ya know what I mean.

Greg

RugerFan
09-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Jethrow,
I know what you mean. I have owned several Ruger BH series revolvers in .41 & .44 mag and without a doubt, my favorite is the .41 mag SBH Bisley Hunter. Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I have mine topped off with a Leuplod 2x.

-Todd

jethrow strait
09-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Well Greg, I hope Todd's picture will do; I'm visually impaired webwise.

Yep, Todd the 41's are special accuracy-wise. Would have gone with the Bisley had there been any available, but the regular grip is fine in the 41 Hunter, especially since this one came along at a great price. Do have the Bisley in 45 Colt.

One of my regular shooting buddies first got me drooling over the 41 Hunter, and that dog regularly shoots under 2" groups at 100yds with 16.5 gr. WC820 under the 210gr. RCBS/SWC. I aim to do the same, but this benchrest revolver stuff is a bit new to me.

Gonna have to replace my ancient 4X Bushnell Centurion scope; my others are 2Xers. Thinkin of a Weaver or a Bushnell Trophy variable---want to stay away from Burris cause of the limited eye relief at the high end and Leopold cause of the price. Any thoughts---and especially encouragement---would be much appreciated.-------jethrow

44man
09-21-2005, 08:41 PM
I wish Ruger would offer all calibers in the Hunter model, from the .22 up.

RugerFan
09-21-2005, 08:52 PM
44man,
You're probably already aware of this, but since you brought up .22 I thought I'd provide the following link:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=662&return=Y

This New Model Single Six is basically a "Hunter" model and looks very sharp! I have a Mark II, but yearn for this revolver.

-Todd

RugerFan
09-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Jethrow,
What I love about my .41 Hunter is that it has not been the least bit finicky about components. It digests SWC, WFN, & Keith (215, 240, 255 gn) bullets (and different lubes) pushed by 4227, 2400, & H110 powders with fairly equal accuracy.

My shooting beyond 50 yards has been limited, so I can't help you with the long range stuff, but I'll be interested in hearing how you do.

-Todd

44man
09-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Rugerfan,OOOH, you're right, I am behind the times. Maybe because I'm broke on fixed income and haven't looked. I do like that gun though. Let's see, what can I sell?