PDA

View Full Version : Took two granddaughters elk hunting.

elk hunter
10-28-2014, 10:17 AM
120422Took two of my granddaughters, Cheyenne age 16 and Abby 13, elk hunting this year. For the first six days all we saw was a few cows and calves. On Friday, the last day of the season, I saw some fresh tracks going in to a patch of ground that Abby and I had walked a few days earlier. I had the wife drop Cheyenne and I off above the area we were going to hunt through and had her take Abby to watch where I thought the the elk might exit the patch of woods.

Cheyenne and I hadn't gone seventy-five yards when I spotted elk feeding in some brush not over forty yards away. I could see the nearest was a spike, when he stepped clear of a tree I shot him behind the shoulder. He ran straight at us and stopped not over twenty yards away, with him was another spike, I told Cheyenne "shoot the second one" a couple of seconds later my bull fell and Cheyenne shot the second one. Cheyenne's bull ran off about fifty feet and tipped over. Now the work was about to begin. I called my oldest son, the girls father, and told him where we were. He and his business partner came up and helped us get the bulls out of the woods and skinned.We'll start cutting meat in a few days.

Before the season started I had intended to hunt with my 500-450 BPE double using cast bullets, but the weather turned cloudy and wet making it hard for me to see the open sights so I switched to my scoped Chapuis 9.3 x 74. As it turned out I could have used the 500-450 that day as there was enough light that I could have seen the sights. Oh well, maybe next year.

Djones
10-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Wow great job! I bet your granddaughter was excited too! That is some close encounters with your game. Is this her first elk? Are you taking Abby back out to get her tag filled?

Thanks for sharing,

David

nagantguy
10-28-2014, 10:42 AM
So totally awesome! That is the best tale I've heard in a spell, sounds like you have a grade A family and y'all can shoot some to! Those young ladies will never depend on anyone to feed them and sounds like they can handle their own security as well!

MT Gianni
10-28-2014, 01:48 PM
I love to see that grin on a kids first Elk or anybody's first moose. Thanks for sharing this.
Have your SIL cut a fresh stick while you are out there, he is going to need it to keep the boys from hanging around those two.

DougGuy
10-28-2014, 01:54 PM
I love to see that grin on a kids first Elk or anybody's first moose. Thanks for sharing this.
Have your SIL cut a fresh stick while you are out there, he is going to need it to keep the boys from hanging around those two.

Haha yeah a BIG one too!

Loved reading this story! Thanks for sharing! Gotta get some pics of the meat hanging, them learning how to "work it up" which is what we called cutting it off the bone and putting meat in freezer bags and making meal sized portions.

alrighty
10-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Job well done and thank you for sharing.

pworley1
10-28-2014, 04:24 PM
There is nothing like making memories.

Pinsnscrews
10-29-2014, 03:38 AM
Awesome!

Bad Water Bill
10-29-2014, 06:23 AM
Congratulations Grandfather.

Great memories for a lifetime were made that day.

Now tell us how many days it took to get those BIG smiles off of their pretty young faces?