PDA

View Full Version : Wad Thickness, Maybe too Thin????

oldracer
10-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Well since I am working on the paper patch setup for my Pedersoli Gibbs and this past week got it hitting the target with some reasonable groups I started thinking about what else can cause issues. Johnson1942 and several others mentioned 0.060 thickness wads and I mentioned that I had those. I had made some from gasket material I bought at NAPA and also a bag of Walters wads came with the gun. Just for satisfying my curiosity I decided to measure the thickness as I was told they were all 0.060.

What did I find......both the Walters and home made wads are 0.030 so that can be a contributor to the issues of poor accuracy? So to day I went and bought a couple of feet of vegetable fiber gasket material at San Diego Seal and measured it before I had the lady cut it.....0.060 right on the nose! So for a couple hours I punched out some wads and when I go to the range tomorrow I'll try these new thicker ones. I think the doubled cushioning will help the bullet going down the barrel? I will update everyone on the difference if there is any.

Hiwall55
10-27-2014, 11:30 PM
I punch my wads out of .024 minute maid oj and a felt wad and they work great in my Gibbs

oldracer
10-28-2014, 12:56 PM
I tried the "milk carton" wads as I had some left over from my 45-70 shooting and tried both a newspaper overwad and also a felt overwad and that did not work well at all. They worked great in the Sharps and Rolling Block loads but not the muzzle loader load. A couple of the local old timers said it was due to the powder compression in the 45-70 loads but no compression in the Gibbs.

oldracer
10-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Well they work. Please see my post in the black powder paper patch area to see the results.