PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic-cast MK VI lube sizer

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-27-2014, 10:15 PM
I notice there's no longer any talk about the Ballisti-cast MK VI size on the forum any more and I was wondering why. Has the company gotten to the point they don't respond to the customer or what's going on?

BTW, I have a Ballisti-Cast MK VI I bought back during the group buys when the son was there. Called the other day and tried to order a couple of feed wheels. Got the Dad, who was supposed to call me back with prices and availability. He never did.

I like the sizer, but am beginning to wonder about the company and wanted to see what others were experiencing.

MGnoob
10-28-2014, 02:34 AM
They make great stuff....if you want something start calling every day barrage them with emails.I kept putting "Attempt #_" on each title.
took me over a year to get my stuff during the recent run on guns.I had given up when they called me and asked me if i still wanted one.
I almost said no

On the positive side another forum member recently received his Mark X in about 6 weeks, which i think is reasonable.
I think their stuff is great, i can't say it enough.

6bg6ga
10-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Dave,

It think it might be a case of a young company with absolutely no idea of how to run a business. The products are great in my opinion as I was a Mark VI and Mark IV purchaser. The boys got the ball rolling and I personally think had too many customers and not enough help to pull it off. Bill more or less sent them packing and is trying to run the business himself. I think he has missed the boat in the fact that the boys had it down pat on making the molds and the engineering processes involved. The best solution for them in my opinion again would be to join up as a family and get the show on the road.

They make great products in my opinion but the problem as I see it is simply that the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing and in simple terms they need organization.

I always look at a product and company in the following light....would I buy it again. Yes, I would as its worth the wait.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Well, I just don't know what to think. I have this MK VI and need parts, but don't have the time, inclination or patience to pester these folks to get parts from them. Perhaps I can post and find someone on the board willing to make the aluminum feeder wheels for me.

jmorris
10-29-2014, 10:13 AM
What exactly is the part you need? Never have seen one.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-29-2014, 11:41 AM
What exactly is the part you need? Never have seen one.

It's a round aluminum wheel, machined from what looks like 1/2" aluminum stock, 2 or so inches across. Has a hold drilled in the middle for a bolt that looks to be 1/4 or 3/8 inch, ten holes drilled around the perimeter for the boolits to ride in. It's for their standard feed mechanism.

I was looking at automating the mechanism, but due to my reduced shooting demands I've decided I can get by with the manual feed mechanism they have, so I need to add a couple feed wheels for pistol calibers I used to load with my Star Sizer.

ssnow
10-29-2014, 12:06 PM
In the meanwhile, You can get by quite nicely on the cheap by purchasing some plastic bushings from the local hardware store. Just get some with the proper O.D and the desired I.D., push them into your current wheel and you are ready to go.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-29-2014, 01:13 PM
In the meanwhile, You can get by quite nicely on the cheap by purchasing some plastic bushings from the local hardware store. Just get some with the proper O.D and the desired I.D., push them into your current wheel and you are ready to go.

The only problem with that is the current wheels I have are .22 and .308 calibers.:/

ssnow
10-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Drill one of them out to accept the bushings, and then you will have a .22 or .308 wheel, and one "adjustable" wheel for other calibers.

MGnoob
10-29-2014, 05:53 PM
The only problem with that is the current wheels I have are .22 and .308 calibers.:/

That's funny, not to long ago i was trying to ordr a feed wheel in .22.They told me they don't have or make them in that caliber because "noone had asked" I said well now i am asking.....needless to say never got one. i use my magma for .223 for the time being.

hcvrr
10-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Dave

I just looked at a pic of a sizer like yours and the wheel looks fairly simple to make. May not get 10 holes in pistol caliber though. If you can send exact dimensions of the wheel and center hole and the caliber you want, I can make you one to try,NC. As long as it is not stepping on any toes. I have the indexing head set up in the mill now.

Thanks

GLL
10-29-2014, 11:07 PM
It would be pretty simple to make a few with your indexing head available !

http://www.fototime.com/FC684B1BC619714/medium800.jpg

Jerry

hcvrr
10-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Just need an ID on the center hole, an OD, thickness, and the size needed for the feed holes. A simple part to make.

Jack

GLL
10-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Jack:

If Dave does not get back to you I will make some measurements this weekend. You will need the distance from the center of the wheel to the center of the "bullet holes" as well.

Jerry

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Jack,

Thank you, I'll take you up on your offer. I'll get busy today and take measurements for you. I'm not sure how accurate the measurement instrument needs to be for machining purposes. I have the cheapie HF calipers and a tape measure.

I would be happy to mail you a wheel to take measurements off of if you would prefer measurements with better measuring tools. I have two wheels and am not using either at the present. I'm reasonably sure if you have the machinery, you have much better measuring tools than I.

Dave

6bg6ga
10-30-2014, 06:48 AM
I used some plastic tubing from a Lee bullet dropper to make inserts so I could size 38 caliber using the 45 cal wheel. I inserted a piece of the plastic tube inside the Mark IV feed tube and put some tape on it to act as a depth limit. These to additions allowed me to do both calibers. I aslo had tried in vane to order/contact them for the caliber change/wheel. If you happen to have the machinery necessary...mill and lathe you could turn some solid plastic to fit inside the bullet holes and then with a fixture drill and ream them to the correct size/caliber for your needs.

barodi
10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
My exsperience With Ballisti-Cast and Mr.Bill Sand is 100%.I have never had any problems reaching him one phone and twice he did ship on very short notis.I have bought molds for the mark X, feed Wheels,bullet punches,"New type"piston fon an "old type" Mark VI, 2 Thermo.cont.lube/base heaters.(one for a star sizer, replaced the magma heating Device)

hcvrr
10-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Jerry:

Dave is sending a wheel to work off of, but any info you send will be appreciated.

Jack

dragon813gt
11-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Back to the original question. What the OP is going through is why I decided to not spend my money w/ them. Products look great when you can get them. But the company doesn't seem stable enough and I don't have to tools to make my own parts. I have not talked to them personally. But I feel no need to w/ all the issues that have been posted over the years. I was looking to spend thousands so it's their loss. In the meantime I'm happily using the Star I acquired from the OP ;)

finishman2000
11-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Dave,

It think it might be a case of a young company with absolutely no idea of how to run a business. The products are great in my opinion as I was a Mark VI and Mark IV purchaser. The boys got the ball rolling and I personally think had too many customers and not enough help to pull it off. Bill more or less sent them packing and is trying to run the business himself. I think he has missed the boat in the fact that the boys had it down pat on making the molds and the engineering processes involved. The best solution for them in my opinion again would be to join up as a family and get the show on the road.

They make great products in my opinion but the problem as I see it is simply that the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing and in simple terms they need organization.

I always look at a product and company in the following light....would I buy it again. Yes, I would as its worth the wait.

this isn't how it went down. Bill didn't send them "packing" They left because promises were made that COULDN"T be kept because of personal things that I won't post about. ALL are good people who have been trying to do their best.
Yes I waited 13 months for my mold, yes it had to go back three times and yes it is an excellent mold that I banged out 2-5 gal pails of heads like it was nothing. As far as dealing with them, they will make things right. It may be a painful ride but you will get what you paid for. If you can't accept that, don't order from them for awhile.