PDA

View Full Version : New gun or barrel break in, jacketed or is cast ok?

dieselrealtor
10-27-2014, 09:49 PM
I haven't really thought much about it in the past but have seen some posts about leading in new barrels.

Is it wise to run a few jacketed or plated through prior to sending cast downrange?

tazman
10-27-2014, 09:55 PM
That depends upon the condition of the barrel. If the barrel is smooth and has a polished look you can probably shoot cast from the first without issues. If the barrel seems rough or you can see tool marks you may need to shoot jacketed for a while or fire polish the barrel.
I am no expert on fire polishing. You would need to consult the site search engine for that.

Yodogsandman
10-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I would use normal new barrel break in procedures with jacketed and then go to cast. I've only done it once and I'm rewarded each time I've pull the trigger since. I know it's a pain but, I really liked the results. I cleaned between each shot using jacketed for the first 20 rounds, then cleaned every 5 rounds till I shot it 100 times. Groups improved from 2 1/2" using Remington ammo to 5/8" using the Remington brass for my own reloads.

ipijohn
10-28-2014, 09:34 AM
I get out an old cleaning brush, rap some cotton rag around it, dip it in 1000 grit liquid compound (like you would use to remove oxidized paint from a car). About 200 strokes in and out of the barrel. Clean it, take a look, do it again, do it again............ until you like the looks of the barrel. Slug it to get it's size, make some boolits and shoot it.

youngmman
10-28-2014, 10:31 AM
An easy way to lap the barrel is to take a sized cast bullet and roll it through some 600 grit compound to imbed it in the bullet then load it with just enough powder to get it out of the barrel then fire 6 rounds or so. It worked for me on every revolver I own but I've not tried it on an auto since the barrels didn't seem to need it but I did fire 200-300 jacketed bullets through the autos before shooting cast with no problems. Just be sure to clean the copper fowling out of the barrel before going to the cast.

Moonie
10-28-2014, 04:19 PM
My 300 BO AR barrel has never had a jacketed bullet through it, no leading at all.

Geezer in NH
10-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Shoot it and clean it. Barrel break-in is an internet item IMHO

JSnover
10-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Shoot it and clean it. Barrel break-in is an internet item IMHO
Yup. The barrel will break in during the first 150 rounds or so, dirty or clean, it won't care (but the results will be much nicer if you keep it clean!). You can shoot them all in one day or take as long as you want.

dieselrealtor
10-28-2014, 08:57 PM
I would use normal new barrel break in procedures with jacketed and then go to cast. I've only done it once and I'm rewarded each time I've pull the trigger since. I know it's a pain but, I really liked the results. I cleaned between each shot using jacketed for the first 20 rounds, then cleaned every 5 rounds till I shot it 100 times. Groups improved from 2 1/2" using Remington ammo to 5/8" using the Remington brass for my own reloads.

This its the method I have read about elsewhere, I have several rifles & a couple of handguns I haven't fired yet. :-(

tazman
10-28-2014, 10:11 PM
I have several rifles & a couple of handguns I haven't fired yet. :-(

Isn't that against the law or something? At the very least sacrilegious. I try to avoid that as much as I can.:bigsmyl2:

dieselrealtor
10-28-2014, 10:15 PM
I am soooo ashamed

303Guy
10-29-2014, 03:06 AM
Might I suggest shooting about 100 paper patched boolits through it? That will polish up even a rusty bore. The down side is you might get hooked and won't stop shooting paper patched. [smilie=1: The upside you can then say you have tried paper patching. But it does polish up a bore.

The other trick which is much simpler is to get a tube of Autosol and smear a thick layer onto an unlubed, seated boolit and shoot it. The Autosol acts like a lube. Don't worry about excess getting into the chamber - it will only polish the case. Do it with low pressure loads only and you can shoot target with them. Apply the stuff to each boolit before chambering. It dries if you apply it before hand and will result in terrible leading. Ask me how I know!

lovedogs
11-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Run a patch with some Kroil on it through the bore to dampen it slightly. Take a well worn bronze brush and wrap it with a good patch. Load the patch with a goodly amount of Montana Xtreme Bore Polish. Use a good bore guide and run this back and forth through the bore about twenty passes. Wash the polish out with Kroil patches, wet then dry, until bore is clean. Repeat this until it looks good. It usually doesn't take more than one "polishing" to slick up a bore.

tazman
11-02-2014, 06:40 PM
I picked up a new barrel for my 40S&W last week. I took it to the range this weekend.
It had a mirror finish inside so I just shot cast in it from the start. No problems at all. Excellent accuracy and no leading. Seems to take the same boolit diameter that the older barrel does( I haven't slugged it yet).
It fits the gun a bit tighter than the older barrel does. I think that's where the accuracy is coming from.

GhostHawk
11-02-2014, 10:40 PM
I'd not be afraid to start out with Cast.

I would recommend that you take a look at the bore every 10 rounds or so and be sure your lube is up to doing the job your asking of it.

My first time out with Cast in my Yugo SKS I shot about 60 rounds, and spent the next 4 days getting the lead out.

A change of lube, and no more problems but I do watch it closer.

Mohillbilly
11-28-2014, 11:17 AM
My new guns/barrels get a box of j-word and get cleaned when ever I'm done shooting for the day . When that is shot up and cleaned , I go to cast , inspected at the end of that day and cleaned . Then I decide if I need a fire lap . I use the brass from the box of j-word to fire lap or make test loads looking for a sweet spot .

NoAngel
11-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Hmm,
gotta wonder how folks dealt with that before the jacketed bullet was invented.

Bill*B
12-02-2014, 11:54 PM
I broke out in hives at the very thought of sending a jacketed bullet down my precious barrels - they have only tasted cast bullets.