PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist and reloading benches.

bear67
10-27-2014, 06:13 PM
To qualify this, I don't need any more reloading, welding or woodworking benches, but I have found many quality benches advertised on craigslist. I have been keeping up with Craigslist/tools for a couple months looking for quality professional tools for my grandson who is currently working an apprenticeship for his A&P license.

From here I look in East Texas, Deep East Texas Texarkana, and Dallas. I see lots of metal workbenches in the $50 to $100 range and some with wooden tops. There are also the metal workbenches with drawers sold by Sears, Home Depot ect at sometimes cheap prices. These may require some cleanup or painting but are often much cheaper than the materials to build a bench. Especially if someone is moving and doesn't want to move the benches.

You just have to have patience and search every day if possible. I bought a MATCO toolbox almost new for $400 that was 1450 new and other pieces. This makes the grandson's tool budget stretch further.

Just a possible source for those looking for benches.

BTW I have some free bench tops for anyone wanting to build their own benches and close enough to me to pick up. These are 32" X 42" and have wood grain formica over a 1 1/4" core with wood banding all around. These are part of a library shelving lot that I picked up for the solid wood shelving. Got 300 shelves that are solid wood and pre finished. I have a hard time turning down free stuff. I got these for hauling off and have used some and sold some. Would send pictures of the tops if anyone is interested. I am just south of Tyler,
Texas.

starmac
10-27-2014, 08:10 PM
It wasn't on craigslist, but right after my son moved up here a friend of mine ask if he needed a toolbox. He was headed to N.D. and would be working out of a service truck. I was there the day he bought the box, less than a year before to the tune of 14 thousand and change, so just told him he couldn't afford it. A few days went by and my son and I ran across him, he ask my sone if he needed another box, I told him he can't afford a box like yours. He told me to stay out of it and sold my son the box, perfect shape, less than a year old for 2500 bucks. I about fell over. lol

bedbugbilly
10-30-2014, 08:38 AM
bear - I fully agree with you that there are some good "finds" on CL . . . but that said, from my own personal experience, I will never list anything "for sale" on it again. A year ago, I had a number of things I wanted to "thin out" - a couple of nice extension ladders, a aluminum trim brake, etc. and I thought I'd give it a try on CL. I was explicit in my ad - no emails, no text messes, etc. and all I posted was my cell number. It about drove me nuts! I had text messages with requests for my address, text messages saying "I'll take it" - send me your address and I'll send a certified check" and so on - most of them ploys to find out where the items were at so they'd disappear during the night. Like anything else these days - just beware when selling and realize there are a lot of "scammers" out there waiting for an opportunity to come steal what you have to sell. I discussed my experience with several LE folks that I know and it is becoming a big problem and headache for them.

Buying? Yes . . it can be a very good source. Selling? Just use common sense and beware of those looking to scam or steal from you.

bear67
10-30-2014, 10:29 PM
I buy tools mostly and have sold quite a few and some farm equipment. I insist that they meet me where I want and bring cash. Nothing else. I meet in neutral place most often, but if it is farm equipment or machines, I will meet them at one of the shops. Very happy so far.

Interesting story is a couple of years ago I found I had 3 extra lathes and a shaper I was not using. I advertised them and all were sold within an hour. I priced them with some wiggle room, but every one sold at listed. The first caller on my second owner Southbend 9C with 2 chucks, taper attachment and thread gauge was from El Paso which is 780 miles from my house. He said if I would hold it he would drive overnight and be with me by noon tomorrow. He was early, we loaded and he counted $100 bills and even went to the Dairy Queen where he insisted on buying lunch. He called me when he got back to far West Texas and thanked me for waiting. He really wanted this one.

I had a seller on a Ridgid G750 sewer cleaner recently agree to meet me at a truck stop in Longview and as I was going to a football game there that afternoon, I agreed. He was a no show and did not answer phone or text for 2 days. I needed this, the price was fair, but water under my bridge. Funny thing is I sold a 4 5/8" Greenlee conduit punch today that I don't know many folks who have a use for. $380 new, used 6 holes and sold for $75--both of us were happy and I only drove a mile.

I have just been seeing enough "cheap" but sound work benches to bring it to the forum's attention.
Like the rest of life, let the seller and buyer beware.