PDA

View Full Version : What about the Brownell's Thermometer?

Patrick L
02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
There have been many threads debating the merits of the Lyman vs RCBS lead thermometers, and the general consensus is that the RCBS is a much better unit, and the Lyman is junk.

Do any of you have experience with the Brownell's Thermometer? I have dealt with that company for many years, and based on my experience they sell quality stuff.

Anybody got one?

brshooter
02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I have a Fluke Model 52 Dual input Thermocouple Thermometer with K thermocouple wire. I bought a few ceramic dual hole rods on e-bay. They are 12" long but i cut them in half and have a bracket on my 90 lb. Mag. Eng. electric pot. The junction of the wires is about a half inch off the bottom of the pot and the rods are about an inch off the side of the pot so it doesn't get banged too much adding metal or stirring the pot. the meter is clamped to the wall about 2 ft above the pot and covered with plastic wrap. It works great. And if you want to check the reading, use the other input and drop a second thermocouple in the pot and compare the readings. Note: the second thermocouple junction must be at the same depth in the pot as the first of you will get a larger variation.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Pat,

I have the thermometer carried by this gentleman. I can't say enough good things about it. It isn't cheap, but isn't overpriced as well as good and reliable. Here's the website:

http://www.theantimonyman.com/thermometry.htm

Dave

44man
02-08-2008, 09:34 AM
I have the Lyman and the only time I need it is when I am adding antimony to my smelter at 600*. Never bother when casting. It has worked fine for me.
I see no need for one unless you have a production run and are adding lead all the time. Need to get the temp right to start casting again.
I just cast until the pot is near empty and quit. Dipper of course.
The only other time I needed it was when the thermostat on my old Lyman failed. I bypassed it and hooked the pot to an adjustable voltage control. I had to set the voltage but once set I don't need the thermometer anymore. By the way, it takes around 80 volts for the temp to be right. I can vary the lead temp with a voltmeter. This setup will hold the pot perfect without any variations.

klw
02-08-2008, 04:26 PM
There have been many threads debating the merits of the Lyman vs RCBS lead thermometers, and the general consensus is that the RCBS is a much better unit, and the Lyman is junk.

Do any of you have experience with the Brownell's Thermometer? I have dealt with that company for many years, and based on my experience they sell quality stuff.

Anybody got one?

I wouldn't necessarily call the Lyman junk. That said I have six of the RCBS thermometers and none of the Lyman. But I did own one once. If you take the glass plate off and bent the needle out so that it doesn't drag on the surface behind it it will work just fine. RCBS units don't drag but if they did the same cure would work.

I used a Brownell's for years. Loved it. Mine had a much larger face than either the RCBS or Lyman and that helps considerably if you are trying to take very accurate temperature readings.

Lyman's literature use to warn about these things aging. To avoid that they recommended not using it very much. Not leaving it in the furnace essentially forever. Aging does happen but if it worries you you can always just bend the needle a bit and essentially reset it. You can also caliberate your thermometer. I don't do either of these two things but they can be done.

joejr
02-08-2008, 04:40 PM
i have a brownells thermometer,it's been working good for over 3 years