PDA

View Full Version : Crabs

94Doug
02-07-2008, 07:49 PM
I anyone is looking for a cheap hammer for mould whackin' I found that WalMart has a Crab Hammer for around a buck, it appears to be made out of Maple, or some other hard, white wood. My only issue was handle loss, which was solved with a countersunk screw.

Doug

MT Gianni
02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
If you know a lineman ask if he has any crossarm pins that get tossed. They are a hardwood that last a long time. I open mine with a glove when it's up to temp. rather than beat on it.

LET-CA
02-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I started with a hickory "tire whacker" I purchased at a truck stop ($4.50) and then moved up to a plastic mallet. Both work just fine. A light tap on the hinge to help them open and one or two more taps for the bullets to drop.

NVcurmudgeon
02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
After using hammer handles for years I took somebody's advice on this board and got a small rawhide hammer. It's great, no more splinters and sawdust among the boolits. I use LET-CA's technique exactly.

VTDW
02-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I thought from the name of your thread that you were cooking crabs in your melt.[smilie=1:

Dave

miestro_jerry
02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I use a mallet for my mold sprue opener. It works great, and you can fine less expensive ones at Wally World or Harbor Freight.

Jerry

Morgan Astorbilt
02-08-2008, 12:26 AM
I thought he went out with the wrong girl and got a case of the crabs. Wouldn't want to kill them with a hammer, that's for sure!!!:mrgreen:
Morgan, crab free[smilie=1:

LET-CA
02-08-2008, 01:38 AM
I thought from the name of your thread that you were cooking crabs in your melt.[smilie=1:

Dave

Read of my experience cooking fried chicken!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7016

9.3X62AL
02-08-2008, 02:29 AM
I thought he went out with the wrong girl and got a case of the crabs. Wouldn't want to kill them with a hammer, that's for sure!!!:mrgreen:
Morgan, crab free[smilie=1:

No hammers, use an icepick as follows--

Shave one side of the infested area clean, leaving the other half in its natural state. Ignite the unshaven portion. As the varmints flee into the cleared area to escape the conflagration, you stab them with the icepick.

I thought everyone knew that.

jleneave
02-08-2008, 02:43 AM
No hammers, use an icepick as follows--

Shave one side of the infested area clean, leaving the other half in its natural state. Ignite the unshaven portion. As the varmints flee into the cleared area to escape the conflagration, you stab them with the icepick.

I thought everyone knew that.

Haha!! I remember that off of a Richard Pryor show where he was doing stand up comedy years ago!!

True story, I had a friend that had a few of the little fellows and the idiot got into the shower with a small cup of gasoline. Yep, you guessed it...he poured the gasoline on his nether regions trying to get rid of them. He said that after about 2 seconds the gas started burning his skin and he was screaming in pain which in turned brought his mother to the bathroom door to check on him. She was wanting to know why the smell of gasoline was coming from in there and he just told her that he spilled it on him in the garage. He did tell me that the gas did not kill the little critters and it blistered his skin. He ended up having to get some kind of shampoo from the pharmacy. When he told me this story I was laughing so hard I had tears coming from my eyes. We were anout 18 or 19 yrs old when all this happened but every once in awhile I get to thinking about it and it is just as funny now as it was then.

Lee
02-08-2008, 05:14 AM
It's called Qwell, and it can be had from the pharmacy.

But in the '60's the hippie population would just go to K-Mart and buy a can of Black Flag, or Raid. I'm told it worked just as well, and a darn sight cheaper, too.......Lee:wink:

VTDW
02-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Beware of the ladies that use Raid for feminine hygeine spray.

Dave

VTDW
02-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Read of my experience cooking fried chicken!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7016

Have you finished with your psychotherapy sessions yet?:mrgreen:

Dave

Scrounger
02-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Speaking of icepicks.... I went to WalMart last week to buy an icepick. Not only didn't they have them, but the dept. manager never heard of them! A new addition to the endangered list.

EMC45
02-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Crabs? I got scared for a second. I use a piece of black walnut that I drilled 2 3/8 in. holes in it and filled them with lead. Works like a charm.

LET-CA
02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Have you finished with your psychotherapy sessions yet?:mrgreen:

Dave

I thought I was going to be fine, until I read about the ice-pick cure!

fourarmed
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I've lately been using a homemade mallet. Well-seasoned osage orange limbs make a hell of a mallet head. Hitting with the end grain you get no wood particles like you do with a hammer handle.

mroliver77
02-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I use a lead or tin bar as I have quite a few of them. Best thing I have found so far.
Raid will remove creepy crawlers, and a bit of skin.
J