PDA

View Full Version : sometimes simple works

skykingjohn
10-26-2014, 11:07 PM
Sometimes just keeping it simple works . i have been trying to hit the target since i got my new pistol but it shoots to the left 6 inches . so i went online and tried all the things i could find (different grip changing glasses having someone else shoot the gun to see if the hit the same place etc,etc,etc ) No luck, gun shot ok for other shooters . new grip, changing the way i held the gun still no luck . when i was at the range today to test the gun that i just got back from the factory . shooting 6 inches to the left . well there was an old man next to me that saw what was going on and ask if i needed help getting it sighted in . said yes and explained what i was going thru. and that it had to be me because the gun had been checked and shot straight. as we talked I was ask does anyone else shoot my gun ,when told no he said then move the sight to work for you . So we did a quick sight move and re shot now i can get on paper in a 3 inch circle at 25 ft . so sometimes it is just a simple fix not a major problem .

35 shooter
10-27-2014, 12:43 AM
Yep, set the sights for YOU! Doesn't matter how it shoots for others. Sounds like you got it shooting for you now.
Maybe back up to 25 yds. and fine tune the sights there?

dubber123
10-27-2014, 01:27 AM
As you shoot more, don't be surprised to find yourself moving the sights back more towards center. It takes very little pull/push on a trigger to shove groups around. Try using just the pad of your finger tip, and pull SUPER slowly, and see where it hits. Good luck.

1Shirt
10-27-2014, 11:44 AM
The Kiss principle works most of the time for most of us!
1Shirt!

44man
10-27-2014, 12:49 PM
One of my friends has short, stubby fingers and his trigger finger is on the frame so he can't pull straight back so he shoots left all the time.

bedbugbilly
10-28-2014, 09:38 AM
I understand your frustration and glad you got it worked out!

I am 62 and on top of "age", I have vision problems due to 49 years of diabetes. I'm right handed and right eye dominant but the central vision in the right eye is not good so I have had to "re-train" myself to sight with my left eye.

I have a Smith M & P 38 spl with a 5" barrel that is one of the best shooting revolvers that I have - far better than my ability and for all the issues I face, I can do pretty well with it. I have tried several grips on it and found that the Pachmeyr finger groove style were a big help. BUT, I have a Combat Masterpiece (pre 15) that was driving me nuts and it has adjustable sights! I finally switched the Pachmeyrs to it and couldn't believe the improvement - I'm no "Annie Oakley" with ti but my POI certainly tightened up to the point that the frustration greatly declined and I'm finally liking the pistol.

My point is, a lot of things can affect your shooting and you just have to keep trying different things until you hit on what works for you. I like to have others watch me when I'm having a problem as they can often see things that I need to change or at least give a try to see what the effect is. Glad you hit on something that works for you . . . now just enjoy it and have fun!

Love Life
10-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Yes, simple answers work. Any firearm you own with adjustable sights should be sighted in to YOU. If others have problems shooting it then they can get their own guns.

tazman
10-28-2014, 02:12 PM
As you shoot more, don't be surprised to find yourself moving the sights back more towards center. It takes very little pull/push on a trigger to shove groups around. Try using just the pad of your finger tip, and pull SUPER slowly, and see where it hits. Good luck.

When I purchased my 9mm pistol it shot left for me. I was told that as I got used to the gun I would eventually shoot on center. After a 400 round break in period it was still shooting left. I moved the sight to compensate. Now, about 2000 rounds later, I still shoot with the moved sight. There has been no need to move it back.
The only time impact point changes is when I change boolit weights significantly.

Cornbread
10-28-2014, 10:34 PM
I am right eye dominant and the pupil in my right eye is not round it is more football shaped. I guess I was born that way but anyway it alters my point of aim about 2" at 100 yards from most people. I move the sights on every open sighted gun I own to work for me. My family just knows if they use my guns to aim them just a little to the right of what they are shooting at. Peep sights and scopes I don't have the same issue with for the most part, it just really shows itself with open sights for me. This is also why I don't own any fixed sight hand guns.