PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SBH trigger help

taco650
10-26-2014, 09:48 PM
So I picked up a used SBH a while back. Really like it but the bottom edge of the trigger pokes my finger during recoil. I switched out the factory grip for a Hogue finger grip rubber unit. Not really happy with the change but recoil is softer than with the factory wood grips, mostly because the square trigger guard isn't rapping my knuckle. Can the groves on the trigger be smoothed or sanded down without messing things up? Just tired of my trigger finger getting the pain.

Suggestions???

Piedmont
10-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Yes, I did exactly that on mine and it worked out fine. The change made it like a smooth Blackhawk trigger and I did it for the same reason you are contemplating the change.

pietro
10-27-2014, 05:50 AM

To avoid finger bashing, I would respectfully suggest (if you haven't already tried it) allowing the SBH to rotate upward around the trigger finger during recoil - which also BTW facilitates a speedier re-cocking (as it should leave the hammer under the thumb) - instead of trying to hold the gun down, as one would with a DA revolver ( mighty hard to do with the Hogue rubber bumper - why most SA's are issued with smooth grips).

taco650
10-27-2014, 08:52 PM

To avoid finger bashing, I would respectfully suggest (if you haven't already tried it) allowing the SBH to rotate upward around the trigger finger during recoil - which also BTW facilitates a speedier re-cocking (as it should leave the hammer under the thumb) - instead of trying to hold the gun down, as one would with a DA revolver ( mighty hard to do with the Hogue rubber bumper - why most SA's are issued with smooth grips).

Yes, hard to let it roll upward with the Hogue grips. I'm not pleased with them but the price was right. The knuckle busting comes from the square back trigger guard. I wish Ruger had used the round one for the SBH! My eventual plan is to make a set of SMOOTH wood grips that fill behind the trigger guard so the revolver can roll up more. The stock grips are also to small for my taste, especially as they near the top. Never thought my hands were that big but I guess they are.

taco650
10-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Yes, I did exactly that on mine and it worked out fine. The change made it like a smooth Blackhawk trigger and I did it for the same reason you are contemplating the change.

Did you remove the trigger from the action before working it over? Got a pic of the finished job? Inquiring minds want to know LOL!

Piedmont
10-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Did you remove the trigger from the action before working it over? Got a pic of the finished job? Inquiring minds want to know LOL!

Yes, removed the trigger from the gun. Sorry, I can't do pictures. It looks just like a normal Blackhawk trigger now. Mine had and has standard wood grips on it. With heavy .44 loads the serrations were chewing on my finger tip.

tek4260
11-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Why not just swap that trigger for a smooth one? There are plenty of them floating about in folks parts boxes.

taco650
11-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Why not just swap that trigger for a smooth one? There are plenty of them floating about in folks parts boxes.

Umm... didn't know I could do that and didn't know they came with smooth triggers as an option. Thanks for the info. Anybody got a smooth one in their parts box??? LOL!

DougGuy
11-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Midway or Brownell's will have one.

taco650
11-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Midway or Brownell's will have one.

I saw on Midway recently that they sell grip frames as well and I'd like to get rid of the square back unit it came with. Guns can be a money pit can't they?

DougGuy
11-03-2014, 10:19 PM
I saw on Midway recently that they sell grip frames as well and I'd like to get rid of the square back unit it came with. Guns can be a money pit can't they?

Yep, especially single action revolvers! You sure you don't want to just sell it and buy the gun you really want?

For the record, the SBH grip with the "dragoon" style trigger guard has the greatest distance from the back of the trigger guard to the front of the grip strap. Meaning there is more room for your hand, and the back of the trigger guard on the XR3 and the XR3-RED grip frames is a LOT closer to your knuckle, but the Bisley is the closest yet. The "Hunter" model grip frame has the same clearance as the SBH grip frame except it has the round trigger guard.

tek4260
11-04-2014, 12:57 AM
I'll dig in the parts box in the morning and see if I have one. Pretty sure I do.

taco650
11-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Yep, especially single action revolvers! You sure you don't want to just sell it and buy the gun you really want?

For the record, the SBH grip with the "dragoon" style trigger guard has the greatest distance from the back of the trigger guard to the front of the grip strap. Meaning there is more room for your hand, and the back of the trigger guard on the XR3 and the XR3-RED grip frames is a LOT closer to your knuckle, but the Bisley is the closest yet. The "Hunter" model grip frame has the same clearance as the SBH grip frame except it has the round trigger guard.

Doug,

I like my SBH and will keep it for deer hunting. However, if it was possible I'd convert the grip to be just like the 1860 Army 44 grip. That is my favorite SA grip style!

tek4260
11-04-2014, 10:45 AM
I don't have one.... I did but I am sure that I gave them all away.

taco650
11-04-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't have one.... I did but I am sure that I gave them all away.

Thanks for looking! I may just smooth the current one down with emery cloth and see if that cures the issue. Doing so would also help me know just how the parts work together inside. I don't mind there being grooves just that they seem too sharp for my liking.