PDA

View Full Version : Grinding downside of lockwasher seems enough

ohland
10-26-2014, 07:39 PM
I went to cast up some 319295 up with my new-old mold. After some measuring and mathification, it seemed pretty clear that (IMHO) the lengths, depths, and widths were really not too conducive to the wave washers from Ace. Nor was the supplied split lockwasher making me hug myself with contentment.

So, delving into long suppressed memories, I took the lockwasher to the abrasive belt and smoothed off one end so it was smooth against the sprue plate. Reassembled, seems to hold compression well, the sprue screw hasn't moved AFAICT. I left the top end rough. If it digs into the bottom of the screw head, so much the better.

PS. It may be that a Booliteer made the suggestion on smoothing the lockwasher long ago...

Tatume
10-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Good job.

Take care, Tom

Cadillo
10-28-2014, 08:30 PM
I always place a small flat washer between the lock washer and the sprue plate. I keep that area lubed with either antiseize compound(rated at 1600 F) or my special sprue plate oil, and have since had no wear to sprue plate, mould top or other. I run my sprue plates very loose. I want them to be able to open or close with just a flick of the wrist. I keep my mould tops and sprue plate bottoms trued up and polished on a surface plate, so that they seal properly with the plate loose as described.

ohland
10-29-2014, 08:28 PM
I always place a small flat washer between the lock washer and the sprue plate.

You have maybe .080 inch IIRC between the bottom of the sprue screw and the top of the plate when the screw is snugly bottomed in the hole. I assume you found thin washers?

I looked at the washer as well, figuring if the lock washer dug into it, the sprue plate wouldn't care. But Ace Hardware seems to have .045 or thicker washers, and that plus the lock washer seemed to push the screw shoulder above the top of the sprue plate.

captaint
10-30-2014, 07:53 PM
I've gotten into the habit of removing any tension washers on my sprue plates. I don't really want down pressure there. Seems I get a better base fillout with a closely fitted flat washer there. And I'm another one that keeps the sprue plates fairly loose. I really have become anal about flat, filled out bases. They seem to shoot better that way. Mike

leadman
10-31-2014, 11:18 AM
I have been using lockwashers with both sides smoothed out for about 35 years. Work much better than the wave or bellville washers.

Cadillo
11-01-2014, 12:15 AM
You have maybe .080 inch IIRC between the bottom of the sprue screw and the top of the plate when the screw is snugly bottomed in the hole. I assume you found thin washers?

I looked at the washer as well, figuring if the lock washer dug into it, the sprue plate wouldn't care. But Ace Hardware seems to have .045 or thicker washers, and that plus the lock washer seemed to push the screw shoulder above the top of the sprue plate.

Yes they are thin and small in diameter. If I remember right, they came from the local True Value Hardware, and are in the metric section. I took a hinge screw and lock washer with me, when I went looking.