PDA

View Full Version : I want one

charger 1
02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
This popped into my head today. I dont know why but I just see it as a dandy accurate short brush whitetail bustin beauty,GC'd both ends
http://usera.imagecave.com/chargerdive/HPIM1106.JPG
Wheres best to get one made?In the 45/70 marlin, I think from 0-80 which I do all my shootin at whitetail it'll be great

Johnch
02-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I fore see feeding problems

I was loading some RCBS 405 gr GC bullets in the 45/70 and I .................................................. messed up and loaded 1 backwards
So like a fool I loaded 4 more to play with

For the life of me , I could not get them to feed in the Marlin , maybe OAL problem
Always caught on the edge of the chamber , had to hand load them into the chamber
Can't remember anything about how accurate they were

John

charger 1
02-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Goin to turn a few more, see if they'll load and shoot straight

Ghugly
02-08-2008, 03:48 PM
How big are the whitetails where you hunt? :shock: Seems to me that about anything you care to spit out of that cannon should be able to take out a fair sized herd, if you could get them to line up.:kidding:

charger 1
02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
How big are the whitetails where you hunt? :shock: Seems to me that about anything you care to spit out of that cannon should be able to take out a fair sized herd, if you could get them to line up.:kidding:

Most are high 2's. some 3's. I've personally bagged two swampers with an estimated live weight in the neighbourhood of 4. And frikin tough. We dont see many but what we see is high hills tough. The last bruiser I shot had a 30 cal in his flank and a 243 in his lower neck. But the real ticket here is being able to plow the brush. Light alsers and such. Our clear shots aint even super clear. Leaves twigs etc

lovedogs
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Thar ain't no such animal as a slug that shoots straight through brush!! Any good wide meplat bullet will work on any deer that's ever lived. Penetrate deep enough into the right spot and it'll die. Many years ago it was popular to load HBWC's backwards in .38 cal. pistols, thinking it'd drop a perp faster than a regular round. A friend of mine had occasion to test it. The guy took one straight into the side of his head, just rear of the temple. It wasn't any more effective as far as we could tell, it took the guy over a half-hour to die. He was down and out but I bet it sure hurt.

357maximum
02-09-2008, 07:11 AM
If the little 7mm,30 lightweights are soupcans, thats a paint can..[smilie=1:

I am just glad our whitetails aren't that tough, then again I have never tried shooting through alder/willer wood to get at one either, maybe it is just your trees that are tough.

Maybe you would be better served with a howitzer, or at least a 10 gauge solid:kidding:

Bret4207
02-09-2008, 09:55 AM
If they're that tough, you'd be better off spending your money on a pressure cooker.

leftiye
02-10-2008, 03:17 AM
Yeah, But you'd be in trouble then with talking them deer into getting into the pressure cooker. EH?

StrawHat
02-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Charger 1,

I remember seeing somewhere, a bullet mold for something called a "stakebuster".

As I recall, it was a flat point rifle bullet but the concept is not unlike what you have pictured. I will try to find a source for you.

calsite
02-11-2008, 01:34 AM
What weight are you thinking about? If not too heavy (300gr. or so) I wonder if you could use a heavy .45 pistol mould, Some of them pistol boolits ain't got much taper to them.

dakotashooter2
02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm a bit confused as to what benefit you think having a GC on the nose will provide? Also I've always understood that accuracy and energy of this type a bullet is limited to a fairly short range. It seems that a WNFP is gonna give you much better performance. Those are big whitetails but if the old timers could drop a buffalo with lead from a 45/70 I don't know why it wouldn't take a deer that size.

You mention shooting through brush and I also wonder about the performance of a soupcan boolit in that situation. I have to wonder if such a bullet wouldn't have more of a tendency to tumble when encountering something that may deflect it. Because the weight is the same in the nose and tail of this bullet it seems like it would be easy to upset.

EDK
02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Go over to go2gbo.com and look at Veral Smith's two forums AND his catalog.

After that, I'd talk to him a little about what I wanted. He can show you what you want that will also feed in your MARLIN. Veral is THE MAN on cast boolits and high performance. And makes some d--- nice moulds! I bought a 433 300 WFN at the Quigley rifle shoot in Montana awhile back...feeding issues in my little 1894 MARLIN, but it sure shoots in pistols! Quality second to none, but I'd like it even more in iron rather than aluminum. Veral answered my questions and offered some ideas.

The "stakebuster" was a heavy wadcutter for muzzle loaders conceived for big game in Africa, IIRC. Long time ago in Shooting Times article by Major Nonte.

:cbpour::redneck: