PDA

View Full Version : Knight Rifle Help

nannyhammer
10-26-2014, 05:07 PM
I have a Knight DISC rifle with the 26” stainless barrel and have been trying to get an accurate load using bullets made with the Accurate Mold 43-250S that I had added to the catalog. Bullets are made from home made 30:1 alloy that tested out 10BHN on the Lee tester. So far I’ve tried the bullets both sized/unsized, two different sabots (MMP and Harvester Crushrib) as well as 90 and 100 grains of 777 powder. I also tried different primers with zero change. No matter what I try I get three shot groups hovering from 1.75” – 2.5” at 50yds from my bench. I’m trying to get groups inside ¾” at 50yds so that it will hopefully hold groups around 1.5” at 100yds. I also swab with Windex and a dry patch between each shot. Would changing to a harder or softer lead alloy tighten up the groups? I know the gun is capable since I fired two of the TC prepackaged sabots with XTP bullets into less 1/2” center to center at 50yds. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Squeeze
10-26-2014, 06:08 PM
I get about 1" with the 45-300s in a mountaineer at 100 yards, win 209 primer, 100 grn BH209, (have similar results with goex2f, seven, or pyrodex) and a HPH24 sabot I size mine to .452. With a .43 size bullet, are you using the green sabot? (either brand) Its really all about getting the perfect diameter fit for your bore. You are a lot more limited in sabot for the .43 size bullet, BUT it should still shoot with some tinkering. I would try the MMP ballistic sub base under the MMP sabot first. Another option is to try knurling the bullet. (easily accomplished by rolling the bullet a few inches between 2 rough files or wood rasps). Next you are down to searching and trying various other styles/brands of sabot for your load combo. Im betting the sub base and/or knurling should do the trick

nannyhammer
10-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Squeeze thanks for the response. Both sabots used with my 43-250S bullets are the green ones. The TC prepackaged ones are the black sabots with the .451 XTP's that are longer than the bullets. I have also tried the MMP orange and the .458 Rem HP and the only change was that they kicked a little harder. The fired sabots look text book while both the black and orange ones loose petals but the bases are intact. Had seen the sub base but was not sure if it was a gimmick or really aided accuracy.