PDA

View Full Version : Shot maker plans

Kilroy08
10-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Well, I got bored today and sat down with AutoCAD. I've been itching to make a shot maker for a while now.
Since the board software won't let me upload a .dwg file, I exported it as a PDF.

If you would like the actual drawing to play with, feel free to PM me.

*EDIT*

I forgot to include a dimension. A corrected drawing has been uploaded. I forgot to indicate that the holes for mounting the drippers were spaced 1.250" on centers.

too many things
10-27-2014, 09:21 PM
good luck ,you will need it

Sitsinhedges
10-28-2014, 03:21 AM
Try this. http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/236543-shotmaker-dimensions/

Geezer in NH
10-28-2014, 07:29 PM
good luck ,you will need itYep that's it in a handbasket

Bored1
10-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Hmmmm. May have to finish settling everything in the new house and get the drill press out and see what i can do!!!

Kilroy08
10-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Try this. http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/236543-shotmaker-dimensions/

Thanks for the link, I was just going off of eyeballing some stuff on ebay and a couple of forum posts here and there. Not sure why I didn't think of annealing the bolts. Looks like I'll be refining my drawing.

This will be my latest government job at work. Isn't being a machinist fun? I'll be sure to keep all of you apprised of how it turns out.
I'll probably only make drippers for #7 1/2 and #5. Trap and the odd garden pest here and there are about the only things I shoot any more.

abqcaster
10-29-2014, 03:59 PM
how about rigging a small propane burner to it instead of a hotplate?

Faret
10-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Yep that's it in a handbasket
What's the problem made 2500# in a week!:bigsmyl2:

Mauser48
10-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Was just looking at making a shotmaker yesterday. Hope this works out for you. Let us all know what the finished product is. If it works i would also like to attempt making one for fun.

Kilroy08
10-30-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm going to start on the drippers tonight. I've made some changes as per the thread over on pigeonwatch. I also decided just to go with a single orifice on the drippers. Life is much easier trying to drill a hole in to a flat surface.

Then, I just have to catch up with one of the sheet metal guys for some 11 gauge 304 stainless. That's about the top end of what the equipment at work can shear and bend.

Sitsinhedges
10-30-2014, 01:06 PM
There's no point using bolts that are any longer than they need be. 1/2" or so should fit the bill.

hickfu
11-01-2014, 01:05 AM
Will a hotplate melt lead? I didnt think it would get hot enough.... Who ever makes one, post results... I may want to give it a try at some point.

Sitsinhedges
11-01-2014, 04:47 AM
Will a hotplate melt lead? I didnt think it would get hot enough.... Who ever makes one, post results... I may want to give it a try at some point.

A hot plate wont melt lead easily, the built in thermostat struggles to get to that temperature then folk take it out and the thing fries. Boiling rings as spares for a cooker range will reach the temperature easily though and use a separate thermostat called a simmerstat to control the temperature. A simmerstat sits directly behind each range control knob on an old style electric cooker and works by altering the on-off cycle rather than measuring temperatures.