PDA

View Full Version : great .45acp load

twc1964
10-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Well, ive been tinkering with my 45 loads in my glock lately. Recently aquied a .453-230tc lee mold and cast up a bunch to pc but im to anxious to wait so i tumble lubed ten of em to try. While searching online i found an archives thread from here that said a fellow that casts, loads and sells to local ranges used the same boolit with 6.0gr of wsf @1.185. He said it was the only load youl ever need. Being curious i loaded a few and shot em......and holy smokes! I put 7 rnds in a spot the size if a silver dollar at 18 yds. Guess he was right. I may tinker with it but this seems to be a keeper.

RobS
10-26-2014, 03:10 PM
The lee 230 grain TC boolit is a fine shooter from many 45 semi-auto firearm platforms. The only thing that some people get caught up on is the shorter COAL however as I see it if there is reliability in cycling and accuracy is great what's to worry about. I have the regular lube groove Lee 230 grain TC mold however I've not too long ago designed another boolit to dual as a 45 acp and light 45 colt boolit which supports a bit larger meplat.

twc1964
10-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Yep, the one i have is the standard lube groove also. I tumble lube em all, tl or regular groove. No leading for now and as soon as i get all the equipment, i will be pc'ing all of em.

jaysouth
10-26-2014, 08:46 PM
twc,

Recreational loads for .45 ACP usually run around 800 fps. This velocity lends itself very well to tumble lube with Alox or better yet, 45-45-10. Powder coat at this velocity is not needed.

ipijohn
10-27-2014, 09:25 AM
twc,

Recreational loads for .45 ACP usually run around 800 fps. This velocity lends itself very well to tumble lube with Alox or better yet, 45-45-10. Powder coat at this velocity is not needed.

I PC all my lead boolits for two reasons other than leading the barrel. They are, I don't have to touch the lead or clean lube from my hands while loading and they don't gum up the boolit feeders on my loaders.