PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on pistol finish

Petrol & Powder
10-26-2014, 11:27 AM
I've got a FEG Hi-power clone (PJK-9HP) that looks rough but is mechanically OK. It appears that sometime before it reached me it had some surface rust and was cold blued on top of a poor re-finish. I've had several Hi-powers over the years and remarkably, this one is tighter than some of the real Belgium ones I've had. I kind of want to do something with the finish but the gun is not worth a lot overall. It's not a candidate for a strip & re-blue.

My first thought was sending it to Robar for NP3 or Roguard (or a combination) but reality set in and I think that's going to be too expensive for what this gun is really worth.
I've used Brownells Gun-Kote before and it works fairly well but it's currently out of stock.

Any thoughts?

BCgunworks
10-26-2014, 01:48 PM
I do a lot of cerakote work. I think it does a great job.

Its a a good option for the rough guns too

seagiant
10-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Hi,
I think your a little rough in your opinion of these pistols! I think they are great and find it hard to pass one up at a good price.

I think even C&S is making custom pistols out of them now. Here is one I milled in some Novak sights,straightened the trigger and recut the sear and hammer hooks just like on a 1911! I also fit a BHP ambi-safety!

I want to brush nickle plate this one for carry!

Petrol & Powder
10-26-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm not denigrating FEG pistols in general, in fact it seems to be a pretty good copy of a Browning. It's just this particular one is a bit rough. If I had purchased it new it would probably have been to Robar by now.

357Mag
10-26-2014, 07:53 PM
P & P -

Howdy !

I had manganese phosphate ( dark grey ) applied to my S & W 4" M-520 custom HB in .357Mag.

Typical carry mode is gun in a Bianchi " Pistol Pocket " ( M-19 holster expanded-out to fit my 4" HB "N"-frame.

I wear the rig under my shirt, IWB in the small of my back. This is a brutal carry environment for the gun, particularly in the hot summer days; and sweating is profuse. 25+ years, and the finish is still doin' its thing, even on those surfaces where worn thin.

With regards,
357Mag

Petrol & Powder
10-26-2014, 08:21 PM
What is manganese phosphate and how is it applied?

seagiant
10-26-2014, 08:42 PM
What is manganese phosphate and how is it applied?

Hi,
Better known as "Parkerizing"!

Petrol & Powder
10-26-2014, 08:53 PM
OK, that I understand.

How expensive is Cerakote?

rintinglen
10-26-2014, 09:03 PM
120314120315Manganese phosphate is the generic term for Parkerizing. It results in a grey to gray-green colored coating. I had it applied to a Colt OP that has a 2 1/2 inch Python barrel installed along with S&W adjustable sights. It is also on the frame of the snubby 38 Smith (a former Australian 38 S&W converted to 38 Special.) It is NOT rust proof, but will trap and hold oil that will protect from rust.
I would Cerakote that Femaru, t'were it mine. If you have an air brush, you can do it yourself. Brownell's sells it for 39.99 for one color.
Disclaimer--I haven't yet used to product myself--I have only handled a Browning 32 that an acquaintance and sometime shooting buddy had done. It appears to be a tough epoxy type covering, similar to what they used to put on the CZ-75's.

Petrol & Powder
10-26-2014, 10:20 PM
rintinglen, those are some sweet snubbies !

I've used the Brownells Gunkote and had very good results. It is a spray-on epoxy type finish that you oven cure and I'd use that again if it was available. My initial attraction to the FEG Hi-power was the low cost and I'm reluctant to pour a lot of cash into it. It shoots fine but needs a better rear sight and I'd like to improve the finish a bit without turning it into a full blown project.
I've had a few real Browning Hi-Power pistols in the past but this is my first Hi-Power copy and it's growing on me.
Thanks for the comments !

brtelec
10-27-2014, 02:06 AM
I agree with the comment above in regards to Ceracoat. They have a black finish that looks great on firearms that you do not want to look painted. The finish is nearly indistructible and goes on incredibly thin. I have had a number of firearms done in Ceracoat and I have been very pleased.

leftiye
10-27-2014, 02:44 AM
Oxpho-blue! Your finish will never fail - cuz you will replenish it. I've got a boat load of old guns that look real good, and stay that way. (no, none of them are shelf queen collectors)

W.R.Buchanan
10-27-2014, 03:04 AM
P&P: Cerakote! if you did the other spray on coating you can do this too.

I did this one and believe me it wasn't that hard.

Randy

Petrol & Powder
10-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks !