PDA

View Full Version : Automatic powder measure/scale

SeabeeMan
10-26-2014, 11:21 AM
I am going to be working up a whole pile of rifle loads this winter and in the past I have always just adjusted the case actuated powder dropper on my LNL-AP until it is where I want it. I finally dawned on me that these automated measures would drastically speed making those load development spreads. 5 at x grains, 5 at x+.5 grains, 5 at x+1 grains, etc. On the other hand, a $20 powder trickler set above my scale would accomplish the same thing with extra money left over for an NOE mold or 2, right?

How many of you use a a trickler with a separate scale, and how many use an automated powder measure/scale? Which do you prefer and why? If the automated one, which one do you like? I am a bit of a Hornady fan but am willing to contaminate my bench with some green or grey, should that be the best.

lbaize3
10-26-2014, 11:42 AM
I have a Lyman digital powder measure and it is accurate and plenty fast enough for me. The ease of use and simplicity makes it a no brainer for me.

r1kk1
10-26-2014, 12:36 PM
RCBS ChargeMaster. Do a search on the threads of it.

Take care

r1kk1

troyboy
10-26-2014, 02:18 PM
"RCBS ChargeMaster. Do a search on the threads of it. "
+1

SeabeeMan
10-26-2014, 02:37 PM
I must have spelled it wrong or something because the first time I searched for it, I found nothing worthwhile. Looks like the RCBS it is. The Hornady seems to be hit or miss, but the new Lyman Gen 6 looks nice. Anybody have any experience there?

dragon813gt
10-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Another vote for the Chargemaster. Lyman's lack of warranty support, regardless of how good the product is, reason enough to avoid them.

BethelHntr
10-26-2014, 04:19 PM
RCBS ChargeMaster. Do a search on the threads of it.

Take care

r1kk1

Yup, It is expensive and well worth it.

Johnny_V
10-26-2014, 05:58 PM
RCBS Chargemaster, only way to go.........

SeabeeMan
10-26-2014, 06:47 PM
This is going to draw some ***'s, but I'm going to give the Lyman a shot. I had them both in the Cabela's cart at one point and accidentally clicked on checkout, at which point the price for the Lyman was showing $139.74. Drop the RCBS, go through checkout, and it's on the way for that price. It's now backorderable so I must have gotten the last one, or close to it. This has happened before with Cabela's and they have always delivered on what appears to be a mistake. We got a commercial dehydrator for something like 80% off when we purchased it as it showed up in the checkout at the wrong price.

Both the Lyman and RCBS have 1 year warranties, so I see it as a push there. If I don't like it initially I will send it back and go for the RCBS. I'll also report back on what I think and how it functions.