PDA

View Full Version : Wife has had a tough surgery

David2011
10-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I haven't visited the forum much lately. My wife's hip replacement prosthesis broke down inside the femur several weeks ago and it's been a busy month or two taking care of her. She's been progressively less mobile from being completely mobile on vacation 7 or 8 weeks ago to needing a wheelchair for the last week before surgery this past Thursday (10/23). The doc had to open the femur like opening a suitcase to get the old prosthesis out and then put the bone back together. She's (we're) in for a long recovery. The good news is that whe came through the surgery well and the hospital staff has been terrific. We opted to go to Houston to a specialty orthopedic and spine facility over risking the outcome at a small New Mexico or West Texas facility.

David

BrassMagnet
10-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Sometimes you have to go where you believe you will get the best outcome and just pay what it costs.
So how much is good health worth?
From your choice of facilities, I can see you truly value health!

w5pv
10-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Prayers for your wife's complete ans speedy recover

BrassMagnet
10-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Sometimes you get a defective prosthetic. My sister-in-law got a defective hip. It hurt a lot. It turns out they failed to clean it properly after one of the manufacturing steps and it still had a thin film of oil so the hip bone could not grip it. Lots of pain. She got another hip and it is working out great.
Sometimes it takes more than one to get it perfect. A perfect new hip is a definite life changer, and for the best!

RED333
10-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Prays to yall, things will be getting better.

MrWolf
10-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Prayers out to you and your wife. It will get better.

Ron

Dframe
10-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Hoping for a speedy recovery. I know how difficult is is to see a loved one having a tough time.

pjames32
10-26-2014, 06:51 PM
I'll pray for both of you! Your wife for her recovery and you for your caregiver role. My wife has had several surgeries, including a liver transplant. She is doing well and we have also gone miles for difficult surgeries when we were not comfortable with our NW New Mexico choices.

alrighty
10-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Prayers and best wishes sent for both of you.

Wayne Smith
10-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Prayers for a rapid recovery physically and emotionally.

MaryB
10-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Prayers for a speedy recovery! I have gone 125 miles to get a surgeon who knew what he was doing when they removed the tumor(non-cancerous) that was wrapped around the sciatic nerve in my left hip. The doc I found did minimal nerve damage and just left me with some numbness and a little loss of control in that leg. Wrong doc could have left me in a wheelchair so we do what is needed to get a better outcome.

41magjh
10-27-2014, 05:43 AM
Prayers for a speedy recovery. Amen for traveling to doctor u believe in. I also travel to doctor to do orthopedic surgery. It help if you believe in the doctor on recovery from his or her work .

gray wolf
10-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Prayers for your wife's recovery and for you as her helping hand.

David2011
10-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Thanks, everyone! I hope this isn't too graphic. The break in the prosthesis had a classic case of metal fatigue.

David