PDA

View Full Version : Fluxes and their use

mistere01
10-26-2014, 01:01 AM
I hope that this hasn't already been discussed at length in past posts, but I was wondering what everyone thought about their favorite flux for melting lead. I recently found a source for lead at far below market price, and although it's allegedly "hard" lead, I have yet to melt any into a form where I can readily test the BHN. It appears to be mainly wheel weights, but there is one solid block that's about 6" by 8" by 12" that is of unknown composition. Before I go to melting, I would appreciate input on a good flux for removing the floaters... Thanks.

Cowboy_Dan
10-26-2014, 04:17 AM
I think you'll get quite a few suggesting sawdust. Avoid sawdust from particle board, too much glue.

waltherboy4040
10-26-2014, 04:31 AM
Pet bedding first, candle wax after to reduce.

brtelec
10-26-2014, 05:10 AM
I agree, sawdust or pet bedding.

dromia
10-26-2014, 05:25 AM
Sawdust or a stir with a dry stick.

MrWolf
10-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Get the pine pet bedding at walmart. Lasts forever. I also use paraffin wax to reduce after fluxing three times with the bedding.

osteodoc08
10-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Old honey comb works well, along with sawdust. Reduce with choice of wax.

I've really really enjoyed red oak lately. Smells really nice when it's charting on top.

Dont get sawdust from manufactured board (plywood or similar) chemicals and glue are not good for the lungs.

shredder
10-26-2014, 08:35 AM
I use sawdust too. The added bonus for my bottom pour technique is that the layer of ash from the sawdust gets left on top of the melt and keeps the surface from oxidizing. It also seems to insulate the lead and keep the temperature more consistent. Win Win!

bangerjim
10-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Melting your raw stuff and WW's: Pine (preferably) sawdust 3X with addition of wax after the 3rd time. No man-made or formulated wood products!!!!!

I use only beeswax in my casting pots....not sawdust. Great success on this end!

bangerjim

websterz
10-27-2014, 09:39 AM
I get all the sawdust I need from a local cabinet shop. It's a mix of hardwoods, they don't use any particle board or junk like that. The owner casts his own crappie jigs so I always take him a couple pounds of ingots when I go in to resupply my flux barrel. Everybody wins!