PDA

View Full Version : Nose Size Die

DonH
10-25-2014, 08:26 PM
I have read here of Lyman/RCBS H&I dies being modified to accept Redding/Wilson bushings to nose size bullets. I am having a bit of difficulty envisioning what keeps the bullet properly aligned whilst this operation is taking place. Might someone enlighten me?

Von Gruff
10-25-2014, 09:40 PM
This is my die opened up for the Wilson bushes. I shortened the die by the thickness of the washer that holds the bush in the die for the upstroke. I converted a top punch to be the shape of the bullet base for my 6.5 and 7mm bullets but on larger bullets a flat faced top punch will work
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Cast%20bullets/002-1.jpg (http://s667.photobucket.com/user/VonGruff/media/Cast%20bullets/002-1.jpg.html)

gray wolf
10-26-2014, 04:05 PM
I will agree that sometimes my mind works overtime, But, I had a thought.

What if two bushings were used ? what we want to do is reduce only the size of the first drive band or just the nose portion, and we want the bullet to enter the bushing straight.

why not have two bushings, the top one just big enough to allow the bullet to enter and not size it while just holding it straight, then adjust the down stroke so the bullet only enters the second bushing reducing the nose. The second bushing decides the amount of reduction. The amount of nose reduction is controlled by the length of the stroke pushing the bullet into the second bushing.

Does this make any sense ? or should I just go back to sleep.

Wayne Smith
10-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Sam, you make me wish I was a machinist! I can visualize it. Any of you machinists listening??

gray wolf
10-26-2014, 08:20 PM
OK so I wont go back to sleep .

Tom Myers
10-26-2014, 08:44 PM
I had the exact same thought when I read the original post.
The setup could handle different calibers and various nose sizes with standardized caliber sleeves, incrementaly sized bushings and standard spacer rings to separate the two bushings .

leftiye
10-27-2014, 02:30 AM
Or you could have custom dies made to any of these configurations. A sizer for the whole bullet with two sizes. The top diameter for groove dia, and the bottom size for the nose. This would also keep it concentric. Lightblub - buy a die that is desired nose diameter, and open it up on top to desired groove diameter/depth.

leftiye
10-27-2014, 02:33 AM
Or you could have custom dies made to any of these configurations. Asizer for the whole bullet with two sizes. The top diameter for groove dia, and the bottom size for the nose. This would also keep it concentric. Lightblub - buy a die that is desired nose diameter, and open it up on top th desired groove diameter/depth.

Civil War slug gun boolits had hard lead noses which were bore riding with a base cavity and a soft lead rear portion swaged into the base of the nose portion. Not sure if that is relevant, but it ain't a new idea.

W.R.Buchanan
10-27-2014, 02:16 PM
The Perfessor,,, AKA Keith, makes really neato sizing die blanks that he sells here. He is about to make a new run so watch for them.

These blanks are for Lyman RCBS type Sizers. They either have no hole or a 5/16 hole in them. Easy to machine to hold whatever bushings you'd need or want.

It would help if you were to make a sketch of a side view of the die you want and post it. Then we'd have an idea of exactly what you want to do.

Randy