PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Blackhawk - problems with barrel and sights

bcr
10-25-2014, 03:39 PM
I picked up a New Model Blackhawk in .44 Special recently. I was very excited about this gun. But the first time I got it out it was shooting 6" high at 50 feet with the rear sight bottomed out.

When I slugged the barrel, the chambers all slugged 0.432". Once I got the lead ball started in the barrel, I could easily push it through with my hands and a dowel. In the middle of the barrel there was a noticeably loose region, then when I got the frame, the ball got stuck and I had to tap it the rest of the way through. The slug measured 0.429".

Hopefully Ruger will take care of the sights, but what can I do about the barrel?

lefty o
10-25-2014, 03:48 PM
if its going back to ruger anyways, ask them to adress the barrel while they have it.maybe they will do something about it.

Salmoneye
10-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Hopefully Ruger will take care of the sights, but what can I do about the barrel?

Fire lap it...

Rugers are known for a tight spot where the barrel threads get crushed in the frame just ahead of the forcing cone...

LUCKYDAWG13
10-25-2014, 04:10 PM
i was having some issues with my S B/H sights to i just could not hit a dam thing with it. so i took it to a gun smith turns out that the front sight
was put on wrong the gun smith said that Ruger would put new front sight on and re-blue my gun also having the gun smith do a trigger job
on it and putting a new cylinder pin in has been gone about 4 weeks now good luck 120169

High Desert Hunter
10-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Call Ruger and explain the issues, they will likely give yo an RMA number and have you send it back to them, be specific.

dubber123
10-25-2014, 09:50 PM
If they don't want to address the barrel issue, or they change it and it still comes back tight, firelapping as previously mentioned would fix you right up.

MtGun44
10-25-2014, 11:14 PM
I have had a gunsmith friend unscrew a bbl and then take a very light cut on the back
face where it hits the front of the frame, to eliminate the overtightening - set to hand
snug clock properly. Then lock in place with red Loctite. Works great and uses the
stock barrel.

Bill

phonejack
10-25-2014, 11:33 PM
I use 240's and don't want to get and use 200's like the factory loads. Shooting high was resolved by removing the elevation tension spring.this let me lower the rear sight juuuust a little more. Perfect at 25 yrds.

WALLNUTT
10-26-2014, 12:01 AM
I filed down the top of my rear sight and deepened the notch. Touched it up with cold blue. It's now dead on all the way down. It doesn't take much to move the POI alot. I also fire lapped it to remove the thread constriction.

canyon-ghost
10-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Question there would be ammunition and load. Could just be a bad one though.

kungfustyle
10-27-2014, 02:08 PM
I just got a new to me Super Blackhawk and same thing happened about 6" or so high at 25 yards. I got the no tap mount from Weaver and bought a good used scope and right on at what ever distance. Just changed my avatar to the gun and 50 yard shot....

LUCKYDAWG13
10-27-2014, 06:33 PM
I just got a new to me Super Blackhawk and same thing happened about 6" or so high at 25 yards. I got the no tap mount from Weaver and bought a good used scope and right on at what ever distance. Just changed my avatar to the gun and 50 yard shot....

would you post a picture of your pistol cant zoom in on your avatar

kungfustyle
10-27-2014, 09:45 PM
You got it. 120403
T