PDA

View Full Version : Scoped 1895 Marlin

oldred
10-25-2014, 11:08 AM
I know, they get frowned on a lot when used on a lever gun but I have reached the point in my life where I am either going to have to mount a scope or just hang the darn rifle on the wall and wish I could shoot it! Even with glasses I can either see the target or the sight but there's just no way I can see both at the same time and the eye doc says there's nothing we can do about. So to that end how about some pics of your scoped rifles and possibly a brief note on the reasons for that particular scope that was chosen? I know this is asking a lot and I was bit reluctant to ask but it honestly would be appreciated, I have searched on the net and really can't find much of this type of info but I would like to order a new scope and mounts in the next few days and really don't know a lot about what to choose from for one of these rifles. I am familiar with "coated lens, fully coated and multi coated" and what those terms mean and while I understand what eye relief is I am still not sure what would be the right choice on a heavy recoiling lever gun.

About my sight problem, in addition to being unable to see both the sight and target at the same time a square notch rear sight looks like it is vertical on one side but slanted on the other. Maybe a better description might be that the left side of a sight appears to be a square notch while the other side looks like half of a "V", I even tried filing the sight notch wider hoping to solve the problem but it didn't help. The doc has a name for the problem, however I can't remember what it is he calls it, but in any case my days of shooting open sights on this rifle are over and a scope is now my only choice.

Gtek
10-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Same situation, I had hawk eyes to my mid forties then my arms became shorter and shorter. All of my Marlin boomers (more than a few) 30-30's, 444's, 45-70's, 450's also my TC Omega have the Leupold VX 2x7x33 with their mounts. Bell will contact rear horn on levers if not fold type. I remove rear sight and dovetail plug. Almost four inches of eye relief and really like them. I roll them off to 2x walking in and out and what is needed in stand.

dh2
10-25-2014, 12:04 PM
My Marlin 45-70 has a Tasco 2x scope the previous owner put on it , it does the job very well so it stays even though it would not be my first choice of scopes. The Leupold VX 2x7x33 Gtet is referring to I have two of one on my .338-06 and one on my .375 H&H Mag. recoil is an issue here, the eye relief is ideal , and have had no issue with scope shifting point of aim from the recoil. taking bad weather and fogging up has never been a problem. my latest a 444 Marlin may be sporting one very soon.

Iron Whittler
10-25-2014, 12:12 PM
It's a medical certainty that when you get older your eyes loose their ability to change focus points. The Marlin lever rifles are well suited to scope mounting. By all means use a scope. This will allow you to continue using your favorite smoke pole. In a hunting application, it will aide you to make a clean kill. Good shooting and good luck.

BruceB
10-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Yes indeed.... I used to SWEAR that no M1A/M14 of mine would ever wear a glass sight.

Now, at 71, I find that time and its erosions have caused a certain "re-adjustment" in my outlook.

Adding a scope sight will still detract from ease of handling of my M1A (or my .35 Marlin) but it's better than having to retire the rifles, or dispose of them, because I CAN"T SEE WHAT I"M SHOOTING AT!

That Bassett mount for the M1A is calling to me, but I'd I'd hate to start drilling holes in my 336 or Winchester M64....

WTH, the AR-15 and FAL both have scopes mounted; why not the M1A?

btroj
10-25-2014, 09:18 PM
My Marlin 1895 proudly wears a VX-3 1.75-6. I have it far enough forward that unless I'm dumb enough to not hold on tight with heavier loads it isn't an issue.
Just realize that if you shoot lots of lighter loads and get used to them you need to hold on tight if going to heavier loads. Been bit by the scope twice when I forgot that. 1350 vs 1650 fps with same bullet matters.

jaydub in wi
10-26-2014, 09:22 AM
My 1895 has a Leupold VX2 1 to 4x mounted. 1 or 2x is handy at close range and 4x is enough for 100 to 150 yard shooting. The scope is light in weight. I think it's perfect for that rifle

W.R.Buchanan
10-26-2014, 05:21 PM
I personally have over come this problem by just practicing more and concentrating on the Front Sight. I have had good success with this. I won my Clubs Rimfire Silhouette Championship last year with my Mauser ES340B with Open Sights. Not Peep but "Open" Sights.(Vee notch) I did this by preparing every shot with the front sight in proper position in the rear notch and my cheek weld holding them in place. Then a simple matter of placing the front sight into the correct sight picture for each target. If I didn't have to pull the trigger at the right time I'd never miss.

My best score was 32/40. However it takes a lot of practice and I shoot a lot with pellet guns in my garage.

With a Peep Sight and the correct size aperture, it focuses the Front Sight for you and you only have the choice of placing that on a fuzzy target. The size of the aperture is defined by the amount of light present. That's why a Merit Disk is such a good option. I find a white line Front Sight to be a good choice when shooting in lower light.

All of this is fine, but I see nothing wrong with mounting a Scope on a favorite Levergun either, and especially if it is a Hunting Rifle. Just the variations in light conditions you would encounter are a good enough reason to not risk wounding an animal. Also one must consider that if scopes weren't a superior sighting system nobody would use them?

I have every intention of mounting a Weaver K2.5 that I recently had rebuilt, on my Marlin 336 .30-30 in the near future. It now has a Lyman 66LA Receiver sight on it but I want to move that sight to my 1894CB to replace the Williams sight there now. I think that vintage scope on that vintage rifle is entirely appropriate. My Grandfather's Win 94 had a Weaver K2.5 side mounted on it and he only hunted in the woods of Michigan. I might add that he tagged out every year until the year before his death at 94.

This gun would qualify anywhere as a Deer Rifle. Many Deer Rifles wear scopes. I have never seen anyone on the hunting shows on TV not using a scope.

I recently read an article by Layne Simpson in the "Big Bore Issue" of Rifle Magazine. He has a customized Marlin 1895 .45-70 that has a scope on it, and he claims it is the most accurate Levergun he has ever shot. He certainly knows a little about hunting.

Most of my shooting experiences are isolated to the range and in conditions that seldom vary much, and as such the challenge of using Iron Sights is welcome. However in a hunting situation where lighting is poor and I can't see the target that well with my naked eyes to begin with,,,then I'd be faced with the choice of not taking the shot or,,, Not taking the shot! On my once in a lifetime hunt, this would be disappointing.

I'd have to limit my shots to 100 yards or less in failing light and 200 in good light from your back and a high contrast background behind the target. With a scope I can go twice that easily and in a pinch 3X.

My Ruger Guide Gun has a 1.5-5x Leupold VXIII on it. If I am in a hunting situation with it,,, I actually will want to take the shot and probably will be able to. My Ruger Scout has a 3-9X Leupold VX-R on it.

I'm all for the traditional approach in some cases, however you have to do whatever is going to result in success for you.

Randy

JesterGrin_1
10-28-2014, 03:59 AM
Like the Others here when I was younger and had 20-15 vision I thought there was nothing better made then a good Peep site lol. UNTIL at about the same time I joined this site as I purchased a Marlin 1894SS in .44 Sp/.44 Mag (Sold it Due to Lack of Accuracy) and went to the range and said to myself myself where did the sights go lol.

Hold On I am getting to the point really. :)

As mentioned I sold it and Purchased a Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 and Put a 3x9 Scope on it and did great at the range shooting a Ranch Dog 350Gr RNFP/GC at 100 yards with 3/4" groups and better pushing those pills a bit over 1900 FPS. (Yes it is a STOUT).

Here is the Point. :)

I took it Hog Hunting at Night and the Marlin 45-70 Drew Blood on both ends lol. Sure enough I got the Hog but felt something warm running down my face and I could not see out of one eye. Why you ask well it was full of My Own Blood lol. Or as some call it Scope Eye lol. I got too close to the scope trying to see my Target at night.

Needless to say that scope came off the very next day and placed an order for an XS Scout Mount and a 2X7 Scope of which was the Best thing I have ever done for that rifle. I think it looks pretty darn good and accuracy is still good at under 1" at 100 Yards.

So for worry Free Scope Eye no matter the load used I think the Scout Scope set up is probably the best way to go. :)

Reg
10-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Are you wanting to make a fashion statement or do you want to do the right thing when shooting that rifle ? If you are after game you owe it to the animal to make a clean proper shot and you need to see clearly what you are shooting at.
By all means put a good scope on it and any other rifle you have that needs it. Getting older is a pain for sure and most of us that make it very far at all wind up with scopes on our rifles, just a fact of life.
My rifle wears a old all steel Weaver 4 X. Good optics and in a pinch you can use it as a pry bar. But there are lots of good scopes out there. Find one you feel good about , stick it on and continue to enjoy good shooting for years to come.
:drinks:

Bjornb
10-28-2014, 08:09 AM

Maybe not the classic look, but this Leupold AR-comp 1-4X scope sure makes it easier for a tired pair of eyes. My son had it on his AR-15 and it's really just a DG scope with a tacticool name on it. I traded it from him for a regular scope that he could use for 100-yard target shooting.

oldred
10-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, it looks like the VX-3 1.75-6 fits the bill, priced reasonable for a good scope ($399 at Optics Planet) and my LGS said he would get me one at that price. He also said he would get it with no obligation to buy, he told me we would set it up on the rifle and if I wasn't happy with it he would just keep it for stock so I can't go wrong. From what I am seeing I don't think there is much chance of taking it back off of the rifle once it's installed however, actually I am kind of excited -I tend to get that way while waiting on a new toy to arrive!

pressonregardless
10-28-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm in the same boat, my eyes just aren't what they used to be. I picked up a Weaver K2.5 for my M375 a while back & it has made all the difference in the world.

Doc Highwall
10-28-2014, 10:52 AM
oldred, the Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 is a good choice for your Marlin 1895. I have both Leupold LPS 1.5-6X 42mm and, Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X 42mm for mine and I love the 4" of constant eye relief at all powers with over 64 foot field of view at 100 yards on low power.

Jevyod
10-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I went with a Leupold 1-4x20 shotgun scope with the lowest rings I could go. The reason for the scope was the eye relief, plus I wanted small, compact, and close to the barrel for good cheek weld. I love this set-up!!!!

Ramjet-SS
10-28-2014, 11:41 AM
I am fan of both peep and scopes. Scopes like most become an evil that has to be embraced because of age.

I like both the Scout Scope option and the lower power Trijicons with the green chevron 30mm tube 1-4 power Model TRG-24 great scopes the EER Scout Scope I prefer Leopold 2.5 power.

oldred
10-29-2014, 09:15 AM
All this brings me to another question, what would you guys recommend as the minimum eye relief for a scope mounted on a rifle such as the Marlin 1895 shooting heavy loads? While searching for scopes it became apparent that eye relief varies considerably between scopes of different types.

Doc Highwall
10-29-2014, 11:26 AM
I would recommend 3-3/4" minimum with 4" being better if you wear glasses.

Jevyod
10-29-2014, 01:23 PM
I would go at least 4 "

TXGunNut
10-29-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, it looks like the VX-3 1.75-6 fits the bill, priced reasonable for a good scope ($399 at Optics Planet) and my LGS said he would get me one at that price. He also said he would get it with no obligation to buy, he told me we would set it up on the rifle and if I wasn't happy with it he would just keep it for stock so I can't go wrong. From what I am seeing I don't think there is much chance of taking it back off of the rifle once it's installed however, actually I am kind of excited -I tend to get that way while waiting on a new toy to arrive!

I think that will serve you well, my Guide Gun has a slightly lower-powered VX-3. Any compact, sturdy scope with long eye relief will do the job. Even in my younger days it was hard to realize the full potential accuracy of a Marlin rifle with buckhorn sights, with a good scope you'll wonder why you bother with a bolt gun.

Ramjet-SS
10-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Lower power scope will have more relief. what is even more I prtant is scope mounted low enoug that you have solid cheek wield on the stock then your head moves with the recoil rather than the gun moving and your face staying still that leads to the dreaded scope yes or third eye brow...

FergusonTO35
10-30-2014, 07:44 PM
The Swift 1.5-4.5X20 shotgun scope has lots of eye relief, its shoved as far forward as it can go in Burris mounts on my Glenfield 30. Great scope for under $100.00, very clear and never fogs. I think compact scopes with no objective bell are just right on lever actions.

robg
10-31-2014, 11:10 AM
i tried a ghost ring xs sight on m94 but fore sight still blury,at least with a scope i can see where im missing :bigsmyl2:

oldred
10-31-2014, 03:29 PM
at least with a scope i can see where im missing :bigsmyl2:

Lol! I can relate to that!

Cornbread
10-31-2014, 09:39 PM
I scoped my Marlin 45-70 Guide gun. I put it on shoot through rings so I can use the open sights out to 50 yards when I am in the brush and I have a Nikon 3x9 on it for further distances. I have no complaints, I can reach out and touch deer and elk in dark timber with it to 250 yards with no problem. I can't do that with open sights but it's pretty easy with the scope. I have no issues with my eyesight either I can just do a lot more with it scoped than I can with it not scoped. I could care less what it looks like, there is nobody looking at it but me and a dead deer, elk, bear etc. doesn't care if I shot it with or without a scope.