PDA

View Full Version : .243 New Brass / Lee Loader Question

azcoyhunter
02-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Gentlemen,

I have some NEW .243 brass, and I want to know if when I "size" them with my .243 Lee Loader (I know neck size only), do you think they will chamber in my rifle?

I have had this same problem with my 30/30, the finished rounds would not chamber. So I bought a set of 30/30 dies.

I did not know if it mattered if it was a Lever Action or Bolt action?

Thanks for any info

Clint

VTDW
02-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Hmmm.

For your lever action you need to establish an OAL that will work before you make up your loads. Neck sizing should not have any effect on chambering, at least it never has for me. I am not a bolt guy so others will have to chime in here.

Dave

MT Gianni
02-07-2008, 03:00 PM
If they chamber now they should still do it after neck sizing with a proper die. gianni

azcoyhunter
02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
VDTW,

I matched the OAL with a round that would chamber, but the case would still not fit.

I thought it was the "fire formed" effect or lack of that was stopping the round to chamber?

Clint

azcoyhunter
02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
If they chamber now they should still do it after neck sizing with a proper die. gianni

Thanks,

This weekend I will try it, alot of snow here, so I should have some reloading time :-D

lovedogs
02-07-2008, 07:32 PM
If your brass is new and unfired you should only need to true the necks. Some may get dented and be out-of-round from shipping and handling but they should already be "to specs". I haven't used a Lee Loader for many years but as I remember they are only neck sizing so eventually you'll need a regular set of dies so you can full-length size. With new brass I usually just poke them into a F-L die just far enough to true the necks; you won't even have to lube them for that. They are usually a little short in length when new, also, so don't need trimming but it's not a bad idea to chamfer the necks anyway so they are smoother.

carolinashooter
02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
It always pays to full length size new brass the first time it is loaded. You may be able to get away with not doing it depending on your particular chamber. This is why some say it is not necessary. When your loaded round does not chamber in your rifle it will make you a believer! Full length size the first time and then trim and neck size only assuming you will shoot this case in the same rifle. The only caveat is if you are shooting a gas gun. In this case most will tell you to always full length size. Good shooting.

Stevejet
02-27-2008, 02:56 AM
carolinashooter just passed you good advice in regards to full length sizing new brass. Unless you fit check each brass to your chamber, you may be sadly surprised when you are out shooting and one or more cartridges don't chamber fully.

Full length size new brass and fire form to your chamber to skip any unwanted problems.

HeavyMetal
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
I'll stick my 2 cents in here!

If your cases chamber before you resize then neck sizing should not change this! I think I would try a case in the chamber( empty of course) and if it fit I would the neck size in the set up your using and check again! If it does not fit after the run through the die something is wrong! By the way you did not mention the type of bullet your loading"

If your loading a slightly larger diameter lead bullet (.310) it's possible (with a tight chamber neck) that the finished rounds are to "fat" in the neck area!

I'll suggest you take a measurement of the outside diameter of the case neck before and after you seat the bullet! This is of couse if the cases pass the prevoiusly mention chambering test!

I've had this issue before on both lever and bolt guns. Everything else thats been suggested as far as dies are concerned is a fact: sooner or later you will have to full length size your cases!

crowbeaner
02-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Whenever I plunk down my hard earned greenbacks for nice fresh tasty new brass, I always FL size it first to iron out the dents and dings in the necks. Then I check the OAL by running it through the trimmer to make sure the mouths are square. Then the trip through the flash hole tool and maybe the primer pocket uniformer. I want to squeeze every last bit of accuracy and life out of those expensive shiny new cases. THEN I load them. With the price of everything reloading related headed for the rafters, I make sure the spouse can't grouse when I tell her I neeed some new stuff. Since I don't have any uber tight bench rest chambers to fill, I forego the time to turn the necks.

azcoyhunter
03-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks to all for the info!!

Great place

Clint

jlchucker
03-04-2008, 05:38 PM
What kind of rifle? I've not had any such problems with either neck sizing or full-length sizing, but have encountered something like what has been described, when attempting to use a handload in the Marlin 1936 30-30 that belonged to my late father. Dad always used factory ammunition, and only used this rifle in deer season. He was one of these guys who owned only one rifle, would fire a couple of shots at a can before deer season, and then only one at his buck if he saw one to shoot. When I inherited his rifle I had been handloading for a number of years--several thousand rounds for various 30-30's. But the 1936 would only chamber factory ammo--neck sized or full-length sized handloads would not chamber! RCBS, Lee full length dies, Collet dies, Lyman tong dies--it didn't matter. This rifle is now considered a family relic, albeit a very accurate one. If it is fired, it is only with factory ammo. Based upon this experience, have you considered that the problem may be with the gun and not your loading equipment? I'd like to hear opinions from others who may have encountered something similar.

Hipshot
03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I agree with crowbeaner totally! The only thing I would add is to retrim and chamfer the brass after the first firing! It is amazing how distorted new brass can be and even after trimming the first fireing can cause uneven case mouths.

Hip

dave slavage
03-10-2008, 11:36 PM
i have a set of lee 243 set if your interested
just shoot me a pm
Dave

DLCTEX
03-11-2008, 02:16 AM
jlchucker; it sounds as if yor rifle has a tight chamber. I have never heard of a small base die in
30-30. It might pay to have a finish reamer run in to enlarge the chamber to spec. Dale