PDA

View Full Version : Rifle vrs Pistol Primers

KCSO
02-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I loaded some 38-55's last night with my practice load of 10 grains of Unique. I was short of pistol primers but had a big batch of rifle primers so I used rifle instead. I figured they might shoot a little off but again i noticed at the range that the rifle primers are more positional than pistol primers. Pistol primers in the same load group into 3" with iron sights and it doesn't make any difference how I held the rifle prior to shooting. With the rifle primers muzzle up or muzzle down made a 3" difference in grouping at 100 yards, the muzzle down the bullets hit low. But both groups muzle up and muzzle down were smaller than the pistol primer groups.

So... any ideas?

45 2.1
02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
I use discs cut out of foam egg carton lids for wads in light loads. Cut some with a 38-55 wad punch and position them about 3/16" above the powder charge, NOT on it, with a turned dowel. Try it out and see what it does for you. Your groups should improve and you will find no difference in position effects to the group.

KCSO
02-07-2008, 06:02 PM
I might try this as the groups were better with the rifle primers. I was just wondering about wether the rifle primer wasn't pushing the powder as it ignited.