PDA

View Full Version : MVA Scope is on the way

Boz330
02-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Got a call from MVA yesterday evening that my scope is enroute. [smilie=w:Instead of a whole new rifle I decided to rebarrel my Highwall to a 40-65 with a 16 twist Badger barrel and the MVA scope. This will be a bunch cheaper than a new rifle and scope. Now I have to start the search for the right boolit to make this puppy shoot, all over again.:castmine: Boy I envy you guys that are retired.:drinks:

Bob

WBH
02-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Bob,
Give Paul Jones a call or John King. John, I think, shoots a 40-65 and might be able to give you some insight. He has done a bunch of work for me on my rollers and a '73 Winchester. Fine work and a great guy. Which series MVA did you get?
With 16" twist you should be able to go to a long boolit with a bit of weight to it.

I'll have to catch up with you at the club and see it when it's done. I have been toying with getting a tube for one of my rollers but I am undecided as to whether to get the dovetail mount or have the barrel drilled and tapped for blocks (much recoil resistant I would think). I also don't know of a ggod smith around our parts to take that kind of work to. For the big jobs I still send my stuff to King, though postage alone both ways can be over $100.

Boz330
02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
I was shooting a 40-65, just with the 18 twist and I couldn't go with anything bigger than a 350gr boolit. The 16 twist will allow me to go to a 400+gr boolit. Developing the load is part of the fun and I have been down so many different roads that hopefully I should be able to start pretty close.
I got the 23in MVA scope for this project. I really hate to give up on the iron sights but after awhile you get tired of missing.
Well Hoff is doing the work on my gun. I bought a competion reamer to chamber it with and Dick is in the process of building 2 38-50RH guns on Sharps actions as well. He bought out a small machine shop that an old Tool and Diemaker had in his basement about a year ago. Got some pretty good stuff. Biggest problem is getting him to work on my stuff instead of his. I mean after all I'm buying the beer.
If you are out Sunday stop by I'll be there for the match.

Bob

WBH
02-08-2008, 02:37 PM
This Sunday I won't be able to make. But I should be able to make the March match.

Good luck. Give Dick a run for his money !!!!!!!!!!!