PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels and deer hunting

richhodg66
10-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't think there's a tree stand hunter out there who won't appreciate this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJ9-YMfBX8

starmac
10-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I can relate to that. lol

One time I was sitting on a ground stand with my back against a tree and heard leaves rustling. I tried looking every where without actually moving for several minutes. I finally noticed leaves moving coming my direction until it came right between my legs. When it couldn't go any farther, a baby armidillo stuck his head out from under the leaves to see what was blocking his way. I laughed so hard there was no reason to stay on stand after that. lol

bikerbeans
10-24-2014, 06:58 PM
I was in a ladder stand a few weeks back and was doing my best to take a nap. Every time I would closed my eyes a fox squirrel would start barking at me. As soon as I would open my eyes he would stop barking. The tree rat finally got the better of me and and I located him about 30 feet above me in an adjacent oak tree. The squirrel found out a bit too late that my 10pt Xbow is very accurate (head shot), which is how I know he was a he. FWIW, an adult fox squirrel is very tasty and tender after a 10 minute bath in an electric pressure cooker.

BB

Mk42gunner
10-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Not what I expected...

On a side note, I must say that a 6.5-06 shooting 140 gr Hornady Inter-lock spire points in front of a healthy charge of RL-22 makes a dandy squirrel load.

Make sure of your backstop, there is a high probability of complete pass throughs.

Robert

silverbackotter
10-25-2014, 12:19 AM
I don't tree stand hunt but it seems that I see more total pounds of squirrel than elk or deer when stomping around the woods.

starmac
10-25-2014, 01:57 AM
I don't know about total pounds, but when I was a kid growing up in East Texas, squirrel gave a whole lot more shooting oppurtunity than deer, and they were hard to beat on the dinner table too.

leftiye
10-25-2014, 05:20 AM
I don't tree stand hunt but it seems that I see more total pounds of squirrel than elk or deer when stomping around the woods.

Around here everything moves away several hundred yards ahead of a hunter on foot. The doe you let go gets everything else up and moving. Another hunter at the far end of a stand of forest will have a chance. This is where the saying that if you want to help other hunters out - then still hunt - came from. We've got 'em trained to look up in trees too.

Thumbcocker
10-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Had one of the little suckers come down my tree and put his little paw on top of my head once (I was in full cammo) he freaked when I laughed.

richhodg66
10-25-2014, 09:59 AM
When I was a kid, I never had the patience to sit and wait for them, now that I'm old and like to just sit in a tree and watch the woods, they practically crawl in my lap. I've been kind of itching to do some squirrel hunting lately with the cast loads in a .22 Hornet I've been working with. Maybe next weekend, too much to do this weekend.

w5pv
10-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Squirrel hunting is my favorite,I am not as mad at the bambis as when I was younger.

Sensai
10-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Every time I go deer hunting I see squirrels, and every time I go squirrel hunting I see deer. I wonder if they would notice if I took my 22 deer hunting, and the '06 squirrel hunting ? ������

Smoke4320
10-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Every time I go deer hunting I see squirrels, and every time I go squirrel hunting I see deer. I wonder if they would notice if I took my 22 deer hunting, and the '06 squirrel hunting ? ������

One year my son and brother wanted to go hunt squirrels .. I said OK but I am going to take an SKS and crawl up in a stand just in case
came home with 2 deer and 1 squirrel

country gent
10-25-2014, 05:04 PM
When on stand when the squirrels birds and small game come out and settle down is when I always see the deer. Nothing moving or out seems to make the deer nervous.I always wondered about using skunk scent to mask odors as a skunk only sprays when alarmed frightened. Those little critter provide alot of entertainment while waiting also.

richhodg66
10-25-2014, 08:46 PM
"Those little critter provide alot of entertainment while waiting also."

About 15-16 years ago when I was just starting to muzzle loader hunt, I was in a stand someone else had built in a huge Burr Oak tree out where I hunt. Had squirrels all over the place, including one annoying one about ten feet above me on the main trunk dropping nut shell cuttings on me and making noise. I happened to glance up just in time to see a hawk swooping in to try to nab him. The hawk missed, but flapped around in the tree top for a second or two knocking leaves and stuff all over me, the squirrel ran down the trunk and stopped for a second or two chattering out of control right next to my head and then ran off as the hawk flew off. Once I pulled myself together, I had to laugh and think to myself that it was one of the cooler, once in a lifetime experiences I'd ever had.