PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a new press

tomme boy
10-24-2014, 02:48 PM
I have had this RCBS Rock CHucker Press for almost 30 years. It has been used to reload 100's of thousands of rounds. I think the ram might be a little loose in the case.

It moves around in the case. I don't think this is normal. I can not remember how tight the ram was when it was new. I am sure it is not supposed to move around. It is not supposed to have any play in it is there??

jmort
10-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Won't RCBS fix it or send you a new one?

USAFrox
10-24-2014, 02:54 PM
My rock chucker has very little "play" at all in the ram. RCBS is a great company with a great guarantee. Why not see if they'll fix it for free for you? They're usually very good with their "lifetime" guarantee.

tomme boy
10-24-2014, 03:01 PM
I just sent them an email.

I have been having a heck of a time lately trying to size 223 brass. I have been smashing necks left and right with the expander as I lift the ram to size. It gets worse if I oil the ram as it loosens up the primer residue.

UNIQUEDOT
10-24-2014, 04:24 PM
In my experience rcbs presses have had the tightest ram tolerances of any others I have owned. That being said the Lee classic cast bumped. My rock chucker off the bench as it's just a much better design. With the rock chucker you need to remove the ram after every thousand or so rounds and clean it and the bore as the grit and primer residue eats up the bore and causes undue wear to the press. With a cc or big boss 2 this isn't a problem. If the looseness isn't excessive as in every direction I really don't see how it's much different than a floating die press.

Duckiller
10-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Try tightening the pivot bolt under the ram. Tightened mine and everything got tighter. Calling RCBS is also a good idea.

r1kk1
10-24-2014, 07:38 PM
RCBS will square you away.

Four out five of my single stage presses handle spent primers very well.

CH4D Champion (through the ram)
Forster COAX (through the shellholder jaws)
RCBS Summit (front of shellholder)
Redding Ultramag (through the ram)
Lee Hand Press (not so well, a.k.a. Deer rattle)

take care

r1kk1

seagiant
10-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Hi,
In almost 35 years of reloading and refurbing old presses I have NEVER seen a loose ram in a single stage reloader!

If I ever did I would rebore and slide in a bronze sleeve. Now that would be a smooth press!

country gent
10-25-2014, 01:28 AM
Raise the ram and wiggle it see how much play is there. If you really want to know set up a dial indicator against it at top of stroke and actually measure the play. I have seen a few presses with the alighnment worn, It ussually floats to center. Is 223 the only one giving you issues? Maybe a bent expander rod? Have you changed shellholders? They can be bored and bushed but if not done right then alighnment is lost still. Ive rebuilt some presses and refurbished a couple that sat and were rusted tight. There are tricks that can be done depending on use of the press. I recently gave a break to my coax and bought a RCBS summit it has a lot of tension and take up adjustments. It also has a grease zerk for lubing the head to post. I have added this to some presses but grease will also hold crud making a lapping compound. Check it out and see what is the issue, where its off, and then make a decission. It also depends where the wear is actually at in the cast iron housing or the ram. Replacing the ram may cure alot of the play. It will take some measuring and figuring to decide on the correct fix. If you have the tools it might be easier to make a new ram to fit the housing or have the old one chromed and polish to fit.

UNIQUEDOT
10-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Seagiant, never seen a loose ram??? Wow I have seen several from the giant old Herters to modern rcbs presses and almost always such as in the rock chucker it was primer residue/crud mixed with oil/grease that wore the bores causing looseness. Now I have a cc that the ram has gotten a slight amount of play in it, but I abused that press since it was introduced! An old rock chucker can handle abuse with ease, but the bore and ram must be kept clean and not just lubed. BTW if you want to see a single stage press with a loose ram just look at a Lee hand press! I have ended up buying three in hopes of getting a decent one and the closest I've come is with a nib older press pre bl version, but still not tight.

tomme boy
10-25-2014, 07:52 AM
It is happening on 308's and 7.62x54 too. I am really careful on the 54r as the cases are a lot of $$$ to replace. I have about 3K 308's so that one is not as bad if I loose a case or two. It has about 1/16" of play towards the top of the stroke.

nhrifle
10-25-2014, 08:34 AM
May want to pull the ram and mic it in several spots. I would think it more likely that the body of the press is subject to wear, but you never know.

seagiant
10-25-2014, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=UNIQUEDOT;2981491]Seagiant, never seen a loose ram??? Wow I have seen several from the giant old Herters to modern rcbs presses and almost always such as in the rock chucker it was primer residue/crud mixed with oil/grease that wore the bores causing looseness. Now I have a cc that the ram has gotten a slight amount of play in it, but I abused that press since it was introduced! An old rock chucker can handle abuse with ease, but the bore and ram must be kept clean and not just lubed. BTW if you want to see a single stage press with a loose ram just look at a Lee hand press! I have ended up buying three in hopes of getting a decent one and the closest I've come is with a nib older press pre bl version, but still not tight.[/QUOTE

Hi,
Nope!

Petrol & Powder
10-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Calling RCBS would be my first choice (and probably the cheapest!) but I like seagiant's idea of installing a bronze bushing. Boring the press body and installing a bushing would be a lot of work but it would result in an excellent press.

r1kk1
10-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Calling RCBS would be my first choice (and probably the cheapest!) but I like seagiant's idea of installing a bronze bushing. Boring the press body and installing a bushing would be a lot of work but it would result in an excellent press.

+1

ive seen reloading presses and swaging presses with a bronze guide. I've also had some cheaper made presses where I had to guide the case into the die.

Take care

r1kk1

tomme boy
10-25-2014, 08:22 PM
If RCBS does not come through, I have a friend in a machine shop at a place I used to work at. I know a bottle of vodka will get me whatever I need done!

bbqncigars
10-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Better make sure you give him a bottle of Tito's then. I clean/lube my presses about once per year. Another thing that helps is to keep them covered when not in use (cheap pillow cases work great). I do this with my presses and my lathes.

Alvarez Kelly
10-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Hi,
In almost 35 years of reloading and refurbing old presses I have NEVER seen a loose ram in a single stage reloader!

Well... I've seen a just plain worn out RCBS single stage. I've also seen a few worn out Dillon RL450s, RL550s, and even the occasional Square Deals. Most look like they had seen heavy use with little cleaning, let alone lubrication.

Kent Fowler
10-25-2014, 09:01 PM
I have a Texan C press I finally wore the bore smooth out of and got tired of resizing with one finger keeping pressure on the backside of the ram. Did manage to find a nifty little Redding 7-1 to replace it.

Tracvision
10-25-2014, 09:07 PM
I have had this RCBS Rock CHucker Press for almost 30 years. It has been used to reload 100's of thousands of rounds. I think the ram might be a little loose in the case.

It moves around in the case. I don't think this is normal. I can not remember how tight the ram was when it was new. I am sure it is not supposed to move around. It is not supposed to have any play in it is there??

Heres one for ys Tomme.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291274516090?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

UNIQUEDOT
10-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Just put it in a large flat rate box and send it to rcbs. If they can't repair it they'll probably send you a rcbs supreme.

seagiant
10-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Just put it in a large flat rate box and send it to rcbs. If they can't repair it they'll probably send you a rcbs supreme.

Hi,
It would be interesting to see what they say!!! You can always call the nice lady at RCBS to see. Easy enough!

UNIQUEDOT
10-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Seagiant, I always drool over your press pics...especially the blue ones...I see one in the background there! I'd give my eyeteeth for one of those!

tomme boy
10-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Here is what they said about it. Looks like I will be sending it in.

"It is normal for the ram to have some movement in it. Your alignment should come from the dies and not the press. If you feel that the play in the ram is excessive you can return the press to us and we will have a technician evaluate it for you. Thanks for choosing RCBS and have a great day!"

EDG
10-26-2014, 11:09 AM
I bought my Rock Chucker new in 1971. The fit was snug with almost no play.
It was my second press and I was determined to never have primer ash in it so I have always
deprimed my cases with a hand punch. My ram is still fairly tight after all these years.

GLL
10-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Seagiant, I always drool over your press pics...especially the blue ones...I see one in the background there! I'd give my eyeteeth for one of those!

Seagiant's blue presses happen to be my favorites as well ! They, along with my RCBS A2,'s are the smoothest I own. They are not very common but keep those eyeteeth handy ! ;)

http://www.fototime.com/E65F8B7BC85C8BD/orig.jpg

Jerry

seagiant
10-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Hi,
Man I love those twins!!! I had to actually give some serious money (not having a 13 year old daughter to trade) for my Bair Kodiak 150!

I try to get the best deals I can but never could find one at a deal and gave up as they are going up every year! You won't lose money on one thats for sure!

I'm now using mine to load 5.56 for my AR-15!