PDA

View Full Version : Anybody made a booth to powder coat?

bigarm
10-24-2014, 11:28 AM
I tried a box from the liquor store. It kept most of the powder contained, but was too small to get the gun around to adequately coat the bullets. I tried without a box and was able to get much better coverage, but powder drifted everywhere. I am thinking something to sit on a couple of saw horses. A box of some sort? Maybe able to be taken apart to store? Plywood? Plexiglass? Any ideas? I have plenty of time to work on something, just needs to be inexpensive and would be nice if it didn't take up too much room when stored and not overly large. Maybe a stupid idea, but like I said, I have plenty of time!

jwber
10-24-2014, 11:39 AM
My gun comes on Monday, will try it out Tuesday. My plans however are to use a lazy susan (free) and set it inside/in front of a large box on it side....I'm guessing it should collect most of the over spray.

We have tons of large boxes here at work free for the taking.

bangerjim
10-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Several have made spay booths in months past in an attemp to recover powder. I do not use one and find the small amount of powder wasted is not worth the hassle or inconvienence of an enclosure. It prevents you from getting to all the angles. You might want to consider a lazy susan bearing, but that just means more hassle hooking up the ground wire to get a good connection.

I get no detectable overspray and "covering" of surrounding area outside like you describe.

The whole idea of the "new" gun is grab it and go and not have to go thru the mess of setting up a spray booth and then tearing it down.....at least in my book.

I spray out in front of my shop on a workmate and have 360 access to the trays.

bangerjim

bigarm
10-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Several have made spay booths in months past in an attemp to recover powder. I do not use one and find the small amount of powder wasted is not worth the hassle or inconvienence of an enclosure. It prevents you from getting to all the angles. You might want to consider a lazy susan bearing, but that just means more hassle hooking up the ground wire to get a good connection.

I get no detectable overspray and "covering" of surrounding area outside like you describe.

The whole idea of the "new" gun is grab it and go and not have to go thru the mess of setting up a spray booth and then tearing it down.....at least in my book.

bangerjim

Actually, I am less worried about recovering lost powder as I am keeping the powder off of everything. We live on top of a fairly tall hill and if the wind isn't blowing here, there is something wrong!

Beagle333
10-24-2014, 12:39 PM
I just use a 3-sided cardboard box and move it around the tray as I spray. 8-)

Yodogsandman
10-24-2014, 04:45 PM
I use the cardboard box my compressor came in with one side cut out and top open. I was thinking about what I could pick up for free that would work for a permanent booth. I'm thinking of something freestanding, maybe an old television "armoire" or an old, deep, metal, double locker. Something to contain the spray that I can add some sort of ventilation and lights to. Maybe a half fridge on top of a desk. IDK

If you wait about a month, maybe build an igloo!

Seriously, the best homemade booth I've seen is on this thread...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?247912-Powder-Coating-Setup

bigarm
10-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Wow! That is great!

TreeKiller
10-24-2014, 10:47 PM
I use the top of a apple box with most of 1 side cut out. Rotate the tray in the box and spray again.

mozeppa
10-24-2014, 11:14 PM
i made a booth too.

will get a pix of it to y'all soon.

bigarm
10-25-2014, 12:26 AM
i made a booth too.

will get a pix of it to y'all soon.

That would be great! Thanks

Bzcraig
10-25-2014, 12:46 AM
I spray in my garage so I put down a tarp to make clean up easier. I have been kicking around the idea of a box about 2'x2' with about 6" sides so I can contain the majority of overspray and still get all the angles for good coverage.

meicalnissyen
10-25-2014, 08:52 AM

bangerjim

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

word

ipijohn
10-25-2014, 09:21 AM
I spray in my basement workshop with an exhaust fan (same setup I use for casting). I put my rack on a lazy susan that is on a 3 ft diamater piece of cardboard. When done I sweep up the overspray with an old paint brush and put it in a "mixed powder" container. When I want to shoot a batch of brown boolits, I use the over spray mix. No matter what combo of powder I use it eventually ends up brown. My 3 oven racks hold 238 per and my oven holds 3, so I PC in lots of approx 2200 and 2900, 3 or 4 oven loads.

fcvan
10-25-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm using a 24" x 24" 3 sided box but plan on making a sort-of down draft table so I can coat indoors when it is too nasy and blowing outdoors. I also collect my overspray which isn't much but I'd rather catch it than have it get everywhere. I've re-used old powder but as of late I just put it in a scrap container with a lid. I only use that powder when I'm making boolits to shoot, not show off. Ya, I shoot the purty ones too!

mozeppa
10-28-2014, 07:48 PM
okay here's the pix of my spray booth...built entirely out of odds & ends parts
and left over junk.....the paint is new:bigsmyl2:

there is a motorized turn table that used to be a grill rotisserie it turns at 2 rpm
so i never have to stop and re-orient the bullet tray.

my 2 trays are made of 3/16ths steel and have 125 bolts mounted in them.
i can place my non stick foil sheets over the screws and use the wooden grid also pictures to press down on the foil.
this makes the screw heads look like flat bumps ...makes the foil flat to place boolits on.

also i can leave the wood grid on there to place my boolits prior to spraying.
this makes it easy to sit the boolits onto the screw heads with my clumsy hands.

at the bench when i have loaded a tray with foil, grid, and boolits , i can use a pair of #4 philips screw drivers to transport the trays to the booth and oven ....(finally a use for #4 philips drivers from craftsman.)
i use the screw drivers to sit the trays on the turn table ...(the turntable is permanently grounded to the powder coat machine ...so fiddling with a ground clip has just been removed from the operation!)

air gauge on the right with storage holster for the gun when not in use.
lights and oven handy to use. (oven was new)

all on wheels ...one plug in....one air hose....ready to rock and roll!

bigarm
10-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Wow, that is phenomenal! I was planning on mounting a regulator and hose, but what a good idea to mount the gun and machine. What size are your nuts and how big are the holes in the wood to push the foil down? Your oven must be bigger than mine. I think the largest tray I could get in would be 10x10 or maybe just a bit larger. Where is the foot switch and how did you ground the turn table to the machine? Sorry for so many questions, but your booth is wonderful.

I did get mine protected today. My wife bought me rustoleum clear enamel spray for the inside. Looks like I have more work to do! Don't think I will get to your level, but hopefully will get something useful for me. Thanks for sharing!

gpidaho
10-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Bigarm: Take a good look at the plates that Mozeppa and I use also the set up in my post using the screws to set the boolits on it works well for me. GP

mozeppa
10-29-2014, 08:51 AM
my plate bolts are 10-24 x 1/2" countersunk.

the turntable is a flange bearing. i drilled a hole and threaded the edge of the flange ...cut off the alligator clip and
crimped on a ring terminal and bolted it to the flange bearing ...gets a good ground too!

the foot pedal is Gone....I Took the wires from it and just connect them to a old wall switch and did away with the pedal.

The wooden grid will assist in pushing the foil flat AND will accept .380's to 45 colt.

plate size is 12"x 12" x 3/16" thick