PDA

View Full Version : newb using 310 tool

wtr100
02-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I've been using a 310 tool to load 45 acp and 45 auto rim - the first bullets I had were 255 swc with a beveled base - they loaded slick as can be - very happy with results - the second batch was a plain base bullet and they seem to be 'shaving' a lot of lead and I end up with a lead 'smear' on one side of the case.

My expander die doesn't seem to bell the case mouth very much - would a .454 stem/plug help?

woody1
02-07-2008, 12:05 PM
I've been using a 310 tool to load 45 acp and 45 auto rim - the first bullets I had were 255 swc with a beveled base - they loaded slick as can be - very happy with results - the second batch was a plain base bullet and they seem to be 'shaving' a lot of lead and I end up with a lead 'smear' on one side of the case.

My expander die doesn't seem to bell the case mouth very much - would a .454 stem/plug help?

You don't say what your boolit diameter is nor your expander plug. Have you tried setting the expander plug so it runs a little deeper into the case? Another option is to just bell with any handy device such as needle nosed pliers, or a .308 case shoved (highly technical term here) into the case mouth. Regards, Woody

StrawHat
02-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes a larger expander die will help.

What size are your bullets?

The closer you are to that, without going over, the easier it will be.

Flaring the mouth of the brass will help but I am unaware of an "M" die for the 310 tool.

You will need to crimp as the neck tension may not be enough to prevent telescoping or backing out.

How are you able to feed a revolver, or the autoloader, with the tong tool?!?

You must be quick on the squeeze!

I use tongs to feed a couple of my rifles but my handguns are feed with Dillons.

If you have not been here

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

Randy has a bunch of stuff for the 310 tool.

Good luck

scrapcan
02-07-2008, 12:22 PM
The 310 dies have an expander plug that will bell the case mouth. The expander is a seperate die. If you have the cmr die set ( has one die for decap, expand, and neck size) you will not have the correct die. You will be able to get the die and correct expander stem from Randy at the 310 shop.

If you have the seperate expander die, take the expander stem out of the die and look it over. you should see a typical expander button and maybe a gap and then a small bevel farther up the stem. As mentioned earlier, if you have the small bevel, you need to screw the expander in further.

wtr100
02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
bullets are .452 and expander is marked 452

the bevel is way up the stem - I'll have to screw it out and have another look at it

I don't shoot mountains of bullets - think of the tong tool as a 'governor' I can't squeeze out enough rounds to get sideways with the DW!

wtr100
02-07-2008, 04:26 PM
and while I'm here I'm fairly new to the whole cast bullet scene - is any shaving of the lead at all unacceptable?

yarro
02-07-2008, 04:27 PM
You must have one strong of a grip by now.

-Yarro

wtr100
02-07-2008, 05:19 PM
You must have one strong of a grip by now.

-Yarro

maybe I'm doing something wrong but it's not hard at all

KYCaster
02-07-2008, 05:21 PM
and while I'm here I'm fairly new to the whole cast bullet scene - is any shaving of the lead at all unacceptable?

YES!!! That little sliver of lead has a way of building up in the chamber and causing problems with chambering later rounds. Especially in GLOCKS and when using 38 and 44 special in Mag. chambers. It can be a booger to get out too.

Best to avoid it.

Jerry

floodgate
02-07-2008, 10:16 PM
The two-step-plus-flare expander plug in the later cast bullet 310 dies goes back into the 1960s or earlier, and was really the basis for the M dies in the larger standard 7/8" x 14 tpi configuration. Same idea: the lower section gives a good grip on the boolit, the upper section gives a free fit to start the boollit straight, the bevel irons out any left-over crimp and if pushed a bit deeper, provides a flare (but don't overdo it, or you'll start splitting case mouths!).

floodgate

wtr100
02-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Ok guys here's the trouble I'm running into when the case slides in enough to bell the mouth I get a 'bulge' towards the rear of the case such that it doesn't slide into the cylinder so well

thoughts?

ktw
02-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Ok guys here's the trouble I'm running into when the case slides in enough to bell the mouth I get a 'bulge' towards the rear of the case such that it doesn't slide into the cylinder so well

thoughts?

The expander plugs may be too long for your brass? The full diameter portion at the bottom of the plug may be running in the web at the case head. In this case you could try shortening the length of the plug.

I have three copies of the 45 310 expanders; two at 452 and one at 454. The 452s are different shapes but the same length. The 454 has a longer full-diameter length than the 452s. There is also a .451" version out there (for 45 ACP). Wondering if that one is shorter than the 452s.

edit: I found my 4th expander plug, a 451. It is the same length as the 452s.

-ktw

hydraulic
02-08-2008, 11:43 PM
By the way, guys, have you noticed the price of 310 tools lately? Midway wants $56.99 for a set of dies and $51.99 for the handles. I have several sets and I don't think I ever paid over $10 at a gun show. I'm getting old--don't know how many years ago that was.

wtr100
02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
he's how I've got things to work for me at least

1. screwed out the expander plug and slid a case over the plug right up to the 'step'

2. screwed the expander and case back into the die

3. removed the case from the die

4. screwed expander 'out' three turns so the case will 'bell'

YMMV