PDA

View Full Version : Rmblings and musing over moving two single shots to leverguns

NVScouter
10-24-2014, 10:34 AM
My Buffalo Classic, handirifle and Target classics have taught me that I really love the 45-70 and 38-55. They dont seem to do anything in a single shot for my uses they wouldnt do in a lever action however.

I'm thinking a new Marlin 45-70, Henry 45-70 or jump up to the 1886. The 1886 is heavier but overall the best of the bunch from what I've seen. Add a nice ladder site and go hunting.

For the 38-55 I want to load it to full potential not just standard loads. JES reboring would give me the chamber, twist, bore, rifle I want without hunting for an original. New Marlin 336s are hitting the shelf at $395-435 here and the microgroove would be a moot point. Add a scout scope in 4X and ready to hunt.

My other option I've been thinking about is my old .32Winchester Special my hunle gave me 20 somthing years ago. It was made about 1940, had some surface rust I cleaned up and is a really good shooter. Its fine as is but sits in the safe year after year. I'm not sure boring out to .377 would allow the 94 to hold up under full house .375 power loads.

Is it wrong to do that to an old 94 in 32?

Scharfschuetze
10-24-2014, 12:35 PM
You might find that old 32 Special fun in its own right. There are several threads here about the old cartridge and its capabilities.

I would certainly leave what is probably a very desirable rifle in original condition. My Model 64 in 32 Special is as much or more fun that any of my other lever guns and those go from 25/20 to 45/70.

GhostHawk
10-24-2014, 10:07 PM
I might be interested in your 38-55 after the first of the year.

Been thinking about a second handi in old BP calibers.

As to the .32, just take it out, oil it, and stash it away for a grandson, nephew or some lucky stranger someday.

TXGunNut
10-24-2014, 11:32 PM
32 Spl is indeed special, unless it had bore issues I'd leave it alone. There are better candidates for conversion but it's your rifle. OTOH with some rifles we're just temporary custodians, don't know if this is one of those rifles. A Marlin would be a bit stronger and a consideration for upper limits of the 38-55. Keep an eye out for a 94 in 38-55; stumbled across a NIB Legendary Frontiersman earlier this year for little more than a good used 94.

Catshooter
10-25-2014, 04:37 AM
I re-barreled a 94 30-30 to 38-55. I run enough AA 2230 under a 285 grain boolit to push it to just under 1800 fps. That's not the top the round will do and the brass shows very little expansion.

I've fired about 1500 rounds through it so far. I use it for lever action silhouette and love it. Twenty six inch barrel.

Cat

pls1911
10-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Please don't corrupt a nice old .32. As suggested above carefully preserve it for someone who will appreciate it as you do.
Regarding 45-70 and 1886 Winnie, I high recommend you consider an early Marlin 1895 Cowboy
A friend gave me an 1886, and sure enough the fit, finish, overall quality, and accuracy is there, as expected from any Miroku product...It's simply beautiful, LONG and heavy... but absurdly expensive to boot. And the danged tang mounted safety is nuts!
The Marlin Cowboys (Yes, I have 'em too) are an infinitly more practical gun, being simple in design with few parts, as accurate as anything on the market, and more affordable now than last year. Look around and you can find Marlin CBs with very nice black walnut stocks either NOS or in LNIB condition for maybe half the new rate on a Winnie.
Both are nice, but it's your wallet.
I'm a JM Marlin guy.

BAGTIC
10-26-2014, 03:47 PM
A 1940's generation is not suitable for full power .375 Winchester rounds. If it was Winchester would not have designed the Big Bores. Late model 94's in the 7-30 Waters were for 50,000 psi round and they must have considered that tops and 1940 metallurgy was a long way from 1990 metallurgy.

John Taylor
10-26-2014, 06:22 PM
The original pressure for the 38-55 is 30,000 psi, the 30-30 is rated at 42,000. Both have the same diameter brass so the 38-55 can be loaded up some in any of the 94s. The 30-30 came out in 1895 with the nickel steel barrels. From what I have read the 30-30 would have been on the early rifles also except they did not have the new steel yet for the barrel The 38-55 was designed by Ballard and was a black powder round used by several companies before the 94 Winchester came out.

NVScouter
11-01-2014, 05:17 AM
A 1940's generation is not suitable for full power .375 Winchester rounds. If it was Winchester would not have designed the Big Bores. Late model 94's in the 7-30 Waters were for 50,000 psi round and they must have considered that tops and 1940 metallurgy was a long way from 1990 metallurgy.

i was wondering about this. Think I'll leave it be. And get a proper mold for it one day.

TXGunNut
11-01-2014, 10:08 AM
i was wondering about this. Think I'll leave it be. And get a proper mold for it one day.

I think you'll be pleased with your decision. Accurate has a nice mould for the .32WS but it sits unused on my bench at the moment. The older 94's in .32WS have a rather short leade and have dificulty shooting the boolits that my 1969 vintage 94 seems to like. Not sure where your rifle will be but if you'll PM me I'll send you a few samples for dummy rounds to check for fit. Lots of good threads on the .32WS, seems to be an ideal cartridge for CB afficianados.
Good luck on finding a 38-55 levergun, a nice vintage 94 in 38-55 found it's way into my collection since you started this thread. If you keep your eyes open hopefully one will come your way as well.

truckjohn
11-03-2014, 05:18 PM
So...
You have a PRE-64 Winchester and you want to cut it up?

Those are worth money to collectors and gun nuts you know....
You are going to pay a pile of money when you "convert" it - it's going to be worth a whole lot less when you are done....
Then.. You are going to get bored with it and want something else.....
If it's got sentimental value - fine... Clean it up and stuff it in the back of the safe... Give it to your kids when they are of age and are old enough to appreciate such things...

You could sell the thing and have enough money to pay for the entire 38-55 project....
You could TRADE it for a 38-55 and not even have to mess with the project....

Thanks

NVScouter
01-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Well the 32 is a never sell rifle for family reasons, modify sure adds character but I'm leaving it alone. Its like my grandfathers old FN Mauser my Dad always wanted to make it a 35 Whelen so thats on my list now that he passed.

I bought a 70s JM Marlin for the start of this projects. I havent decided on the Scout or stanard scope set up but I'm leaning tward the XS scout mount.

Rifle is meant as backpack truck gun for tourists->bears with lots of deer and maybe an elk in its future. But of course give me enough time and I'm also debating the 35/30-30 but likely the 38-55 with a .379 rebore for 270g cast full power loads. Stock needs a refinish and I'm leaning toward Duricote Sand for the metal work.

MT Gianni
01-09-2015, 04:55 PM
My Buffalo Classic, handirifle and Target classics have taught me that I really love the 45-70 and 38-55. They dont seem to do anything in a single shot for my uses they wouldnt do in a lever action however.

I'm thinking a new Marlin 45-70, Henry 45-70 or jump up to the 1886. The 1886 is heavier but overall the best of the bunch from what I've seen. Add a nice ladder site and go hunting.

For the 38-55 I want to load it to full potential not just standard loads. JES reboring would give me the chamber, twist, bore, rifle I want without hunting for an original. New Marlin 336s are hitting the shelf at $395-435 here and the microgroove would be a moot point. Add a scout scope in 4X and ready to hunt.

My other option I've been thinking about is my old .32Winchester Special my hunle gave me 20 somthing years ago. It was made about 1940, had some surface rust I cleaned up and is a really good shooter. Its fine as is but sits in the safe year after year. I'm not sure boring out to .377 would allow the 94 to hold up under full house .375 power loads.

Is it wrong to do that to an old 94 in 32?

If a good shooting lever stays in the safe there is really no reason to think that levers in 45-70 and 38-55 would not stay and keep it company. I am finding that a good single shot takes care of most of my hunting needs anyway.

oscarflytyer
01-09-2015, 05:28 PM

NV - I have the perfect mold for your 32. Thought I was going to run into one and just never have. I too am looking at boring a 336 to 38-55. Just can't find s good 94 donor rifle.

Mold I have is a two cavity Ranch Dog GC bullet. It is a TLC323-170-RF. Mike used it to develop the bullet design and I bought it from him. I have not cast with it. Also have the Lee .323 push thru sizer die NIB w/ Alox. Shoot me a pm if you are interested. It needs put to good use! And glad you aren't going to bore out the 32!

TXGunNut
01-11-2015, 12:12 AM
NV - I have the perfect mold for your 32. Thought I was going to run into one and just never have. I too am looking at boring a 336 to 38-55. Just can't find s good 94 donor rifle.

Mold I have is a two cavity Ranch Dog GC bullet. It is a TLC323-170-RF. Mike used it to develop the bullet design and I bought it from him. I have not cast with it. Also have the Lee .323 push thru sizer die NIB w/ Alox. Shoot me a pm if you are interested. It needs put to good use! And glad you aren't going to bore out the 32!

I have that mould, works great in my 1969 vintage 94 but won't feed in a few older 94's I've tried it in.

NVScouter
01-13-2015, 12:42 PM
If a good shooting lever stays in the safe there is really no reason to think that levers in 45-70 and 38-55 would not stay and keep it company. I am finding that a good single shot takes care of most of my hunting needs anyway.

This is the funny part of this thread, the assumptions.

The 32WSP has been in my safe for 20 years and I shoot it a few times a year with jacketed. I was given to me in the 90s when my Uncle found it under his guest room bed. It was there since he joined the JW and avoided the Vietnam draft, as a career military guy myself I find that hard to stomach. He stayed my Dad and Uncle went. No real loyalty to the firearm besides its a nice piece. I did lose the loading gate screw and it was a PITA to find, just had one made. Its fun but I always wanted more of the caliber. I shoot about 1-10 times a week and have dozens of rifles, a handful of shotguns and a slew of pistols. Some get used/traded but there is a big stack of "never sell". Some designs I've loved and drooled over only to get it and not like the practicle shooting of it, others have had quality issues. So they go by the wayside. Some guns fall in favor for a few years then get put aside for awile, but only 1 rifle is RETIRED. Thats only because its been in my family since 1895 and is worth more than my truck. So now it hangs with my Dad's elk and a picture of us before he died. We shot it the last time on it's 100th aniversary and hung it up.

My shooting tastes have also changed over the years. I grew up shooting what I had with what I was given or could afford. Then I got better paying jobs, started reloading, joined the military, short and long range compitions, handgun hunting, etc. Then I started casting and that changed what I look for in a gun. I'm a fickel lover I guess.

If I had bought that Itallian sharps in 38-55 instead of my Buffalo and Target Classics this thread may not exist. The TC taught me how much I like the 38-55 loaded low to high, the BC taught me what a huge chunk of lead can do but I dont like the 33" barrel and light action/stock of the BC. My 20" handi rifle in 45-70 is a never sell firearm, nothing do do with pricetag. Live learn, adjust, be happy. Its only money right?