PDA

View Full Version : What metals will alloy with lead?

Lead melter
02-07-2008, 08:52 AM
This question will probably be just in the line of work for some of the experts like Felix, Buckshot, Scrounger, et. al.
Does anyone have a somewhat complete list of metals that will alloy with lead, and what are their pros and cons?
I know already about antimony, tin, arsenic, and silver, but I don't know all of them.
I present this question from a standpoint of a possible windfall of previously alloyed metal that may come my way.
A buddy has taken a new job [the company is owned by his cousin] that deals in manufacturing industrial exhaust systems...pumps, hoods, filtering systems, etc.
He and I have worked out a deal whereas he gathers up wheelweights, scrap range lead and the like, I retain 50 percent and cast boolits for him with the other 50 percent. He told me the other day that there are some bars in the 'scrap' pile that are of a lead base. When he asked their makeup he was told they are 50/50 lead/tin, but he is not sure [we all know what hearsay is]. I could visualize the use of 50/50 alloy in some instances in this industry, so the idea is not out of the question. The problem arises from the size of the bars. They measure 2"X2"X4'! Quite a chunk of solder if you ask me.
Now, this fella worked with the NASCAR industry for several years, and does know tungsten when he sees it, so that is out of the question.
The only thing I can think [I'm pessimistic] is that this must be some alloy for a specific purpose that is no longer utilized in the industry, thereby relegating the bars to the junk pile. What scares me is the possible alloy of some harmful metals.
I told the guy to grab them if he can get them. The worst that can happen is that we have to throw them away.
Any thoughts on the matter?

MT Gianni
02-07-2008, 10:25 AM
50-50 seems slanted in his favor. You have a larger cost in lube, dies, sizer and molds let alone in your time. Gas checks can almost equal the cost of the lead with todays prices. Then we come to whether ATF considers you a manufacturer.
I have seen Linotype in 4' logs though it was cast with an almost rounded bottom. Look for a hook on one end and see if it rings. Gianni

JSnover
02-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Are there any markings? I move a lot of metal through my shop and a lot of it will have alphanumeric codes stamped or painted on somewhere. Beware of anything written on by hand.

montana_charlie
02-07-2008, 12:18 PM
When he asked their makeup he was told they are 50/50 lead/tin,

The problem arises from the size of the bars. They measure 2"X2"X4'! Quite a chunk of solder if you ask me.
You may distrust the 'rumor' because you judge the size of the bars to be quite large for 'solder'. But, you may not have used it for 'leading in' car bodies...pouring pipe joints...and other uses that require large amounts.

For some reason (probably related to age) I can't remember the melting temperature of 50/50 tin/lead solder. But, I am sure you can Google it up.
If a chunk of your material melts at that temperature, you can probably believe the 'rumor' that it is solder.
CM

kawalekm
02-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi Lead Melter
I've bought scrap bars of solder myself and my experience is that the concentration of metal are always cast into the bar itself. Look for cast markings like Sb/Sn 50/50 or Sn50 on the side of the bar. Montana Charlie's idea on checking the melting point is sound also. I believe the melting point of 50/50 solder is 450F. Go for it. Scrap tin can be found cheap if you know what you're looking for. Also look for scrap pewter, and babbit metal. Both are rich (80+%) sources of tin.
Michael

Pepe Ray
02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Now!!
Get it out of "the system". It's probably usefull to someone in our group.
Also. KISS? Break off a few pounds, cast up some boolets and SEE if its suitable.
Do they have nice sharp edges in the crimp or lube grooves? How about the base?
Once youve established its castability you can consider the hardness alloying later. GET IT !!
Pepe Ray

Firebird
02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't know the size of the bars that are used to feed them, but the wave solder machines used in the manufacture of electronics could easily handle blocks a lot bigger than just 2"x2"x4". The size of what those machines could handle is probably limited by how much the solder blocks would weigh for easy handling. What with the RoHS rules from Europe they can't use 50/50 solder anymore in electronics (mostly using 95/5 tin/antimony today), but it has only been a couple of years since the RoHS rules went into effect so blocks of wave machine 50/50 solder could still be sitting in the warehouse areas of electronic manufacturers.

Could be if anyone knows of a local electronic board manufacturing business that you could ask about buying any of the old 50/50 solder they have lying around, and get a pretty good price as the company would have purchased that solder before the big price increases hit over the last couple of years.

KCSO
02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
That is the same size as the blocks of tempering metal i got from an old printer. They were to put the tin back into linotype mixture. Mine were pretty much 50--5 so you might be good to go.

mroliver77
02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Pewter was mentioned. How would one identify pewter. There was a vase at the second hand store that I thought might be pewter. It was thick and definetly cast of something. It had an aluminum color but looked more grayish. $5 was too much to take a chance on for me. A few pieces of crude tableware with ugly cast handles also caught my eye.
J

AllanD
02-09-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't know the size of the bars that are used to feed them, but the wave solder machines used in the manufacture of electronics could easily handle blocks a lot bigger than just 2"x2"x4". The size of what those machines could handle is probably limited by how much the solder blocks would weigh for easy handling. What with the RoHS rules from Europe they can't use 50/50 solder anymore in electronics (mostly using 95/5 tin/antimony today), but it has only been a couple of years since the RoHS rules went into effect so blocks of wave machine 50/50 solder could still be sitting in the warehouse areas of electronic manufacturers.

Could be if anyone knows of a local electronic board manufacturing business that you could ask about buying any of the old 50/50 solder they have lying around, and get a pretty good price as the company would have purchased that solder before the big price increases hit over the last couple of years.

Blocks of solder drained from wave sodering machines would noy be "marked" in any consistant way, NEW solder fresh from Alpha metals, Kester, Tricor (or others)
will be in nice 5# bars. (typically a bit over an inch wide 3/4" tall and around a foot long for cast bars, extruded bars smaller and longer)

WAVE soldering machines will NOT be filled with Sn50/Pb50 solder or even the more common Sn60/Pb40, but rather with "Eutectic" SN63/Pb37.

In any event most scrap "solder" will likely be atleast half tin.

Yeah old body filling solder will be less, Sn40 or even Sn30, but your chances of finding any of that? ... well it's likely to have a pile of gold coins under it:)

even so Tin is the most valuable material typically alloyed with lead in any significant quantity.... and should be grabbed when found.

At the scrap yard I'll grab pure lead before I grab wheelweights and I'll grab Lino before either, but Solder will inspire me to make a commando style raid on whoever has it:)

AD

blysmelter
02-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Pewter was mentioned. How would one identify pewter.

If you bend pewter it wil make a crackling sound.

Pepe Ray
02-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Real pewter will have a stamp on the bottom identifying it as suce. There were many co's making fancy tableware and, over the decades, many different Trade marks. Newer stuff will be problematic. I would acid test everything w/o a trademark.
Pepe Ray