PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #45

Spud
02-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Anyone still use one of these? Been using a 450 for years with the attendant leakage problems, etc., and just came into one of these. Took awhile to clean a big hunk of solid lube outta it, but got it set up tonite. Sure a lot easier to change dies & punches on the old 45. Except for being a bit delicate and not allowing any kind of "swaging" [smilie=1: I don't see a lot of improvement in the 450 design. In fact the 450 looks like it might be MORE prone to leakage from the bottom than the older design. Any thoughts?

PS - anyone have a favorite remedy for the leaking problem from the bottom of 450's? (besides getting another brand!) Want to see if someone's tried something I haven't!

klw
02-06-2008, 11:39 PM
The leakage problem with the 450 is why Lyman switched to the 4500. Those machines don't leak. According to Lyman there is no solution to the 450 leakage.

But somewhere during the manufacture of the 450 Lyman tightened up the specs. That means that late 450's and all 4500 will not accept all Lyman and RCBS sizing dies. The tolerances are just too close. So if you have an old 450 it might be worth keeping for use with those sizing dies that will not fit into the newer models. RCBS units, incidentally, do not have this problem.

And yes I have and use a 45. Haven't had any problems with it.

imashooter2
02-06-2008, 11:41 PM
I have three 45's. They're the only sizers I own.

Mount your 450 on a piece of .135 cold rolled with a piece of gasket paper between the steel and the press. No more leak.

dubber123
02-07-2008, 12:14 AM
I have three 45's. They're the only sizers I own.

Mount your 450 on a piece of .135 cold rolled with a piece of gasket paper between the steel and the press. No more leak.

Thats pretty much the fix, a rigid mounting plate with a gasket. seems to work for every one. I have 2 450's of different vintages, but have been looking at the 45's.

jim4065
02-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Got a 45 for BP lube, a 450 for 50/50 Alox/Beeswax, and a 4500 for Hi-Temp Hi-Velocity lube. It works well 'cause I just keep feeding in the same lube with no change-over problems. The 450 is a pain compared to my feeble old 45, the heated 4500 has been great so far.

Spud
02-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the great comments. Didn't realize there were so many of the old 45's in use. Appreciate the help, also, on the 450 leakage problem.

NuJudge
02-07-2008, 07:09 AM
I have three 45's, two 450's, and two Stars. The first couple I bought, and now people keep giving me them. I try to leave most of them set up for one caliber and one lube.

Regarding leakage from the top of the 45's, Lyman just sent me the fattest O rings I have ever seen. When I start casting again in the spring, I will try them and see if they prevent the blow-outs in the front of the die.

CDD

mtgrs737
02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
On my three 450's I use a gasket cut from a soda pop carton, works fine for me.

Spud
02-07-2008, 12:28 PM
What about the o-ring on the bottom?(of the 450's) Mine is boogered up. Anyone know the right size? Seems to be an odd size, can't find anything that fits.

Rat-Man
02-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Spud

I just bought new o-rings for my 450, they were 1/16" diameter. 1" inside and 1.125 outside diameter. I bought mine at a plumbing supply shop and they seem to work fine.

My 450 is the older grey model, i don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Johnw...ski
02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I had to go downstairs and check, my lyman is a 450 bought around 1976.
Never had any problems with leaks. Lucky I guess.

John

hungryhuntergirl
02-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Can you use the lyman top punches and sizing dies for the 450 in the 45 as well/

dubber123
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Can you use the lyman top punches and sizing dies for the 450 in the 45 as well/

As far as I know, yes. I'm sure someone who has one will answer, as both of mine are 450's. I am eyeing the 45's, they usually go a little cheaper, and have a "vintage" look to them.

Spud
02-07-2008, 06:17 PM
The punches and dies that fit my late '80's 450 are working in the 45 I just acquired.

jim4065
02-07-2008, 10:23 PM
They work in all 3 sizers. Strangely, my 45 has the tightest tolerances, even though it's really worn down. :-?

grumpy one
02-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Regarding leakage from the top of the 45's, Lyman just sent me the fattest O rings I have ever seen. When I start casting again in the spring, I will try them and see if they prevent the blow-outs in the front of the die.

CDD

Thanks for that - I thought I must be the only guy in the world who keeps blowing those O rings out at the front of my 45. Incidentally it doesn't happen with RCBS sizing dies, only Lyman ones.

floodgate
02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Sizing dies and top punches generally interchange freely among the #45, #450 and #4500 Lyman and the early and late RCBS lube-sizers. The only thing to look out for are the older Lyman dies without the o-ring groove at the top (they are held in the #45 by the set-screw in the front of the die barrel); these have a fairly sharp edge between the top opening of the die and the slightly smaller actual sizing section, whereas the later, o-ring dies have a tapered lead-in that gives better centering of the boolit in the die. These can be used in the #45's, too, but don't turn the set-screw in too tightly; it will force the die off-center, and also will mar the retaining groove.

floodgate

hungryhuntergirl
02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I am probably going to order my dies from midsouth so they will be new dies...

utk
02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm getting more and more happy with my little #45.

Got it for a good price, took it apart and melted out all the old black lube and filled it with FWFL.
The die had an O-ring and a smoth taper down to the sizing portion.
Bought it for multi-grooved boolits, easy to adjust how many to fill.
Ordered a new lube plunger from Lyman. It has double O-rings for sealing (the old plunger was in good shape but some lube leaks past it). Same one as for the #450.

mroliver77
02-08-2008, 01:54 PM
My 450 the plate on the bottom that the screw seats in, the seat was cut at an angle to centerline of machine. When leaning on lube screw it would push plate out of seat and blow o ring. I tried the gasket trick and epoxy with no good results. I finally lapped the screw seat straight with the screw and left the plate at an angle. It works very well now. I broke the handle pivot while bumping boolits and the replacement had a larger thread for the handle. I welded handle on. Replaced all the linkage bolts with grade 8 and solved that problem. It is a good machine now.
J

Harry
02-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I, being a newbie am a little confused. I have a #45 that was my dad's ( a '50s vintage). The dies don't have o-rings (have grooves for the set screw). The lube plunger has a brass expander ring for sealing. The plunger turns with the pressure screw until it contacts the lube. Is the plunger worn out? I have not tried to use the unit as yet, but I want it in good shape before I do. Sorry for my ignorance.
Thanks
Harry

utk
02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Harry, I have a #45 just like yours (but with o-ring on sizing die). The old plunger has a brass sealing ring. However it will leak due to the gap in the brass. You can buy a new plunger + 2 o-rings to replace the brass-ringed plunger. The new one is a spare part for the #450 but it should fit your old #45. I bought the new plunger (from Lyman, not expensive) with 2 o-rings but haven't installed it yet. Will do that next time I fill lube.

imashooter2
02-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I managed to slow the brass skirt leaking down by cutting washers from a foam plate. I read of another user that placed a plastic bag over the nut before he put it on the screw. Either method works the same way. It seals the split in the brass.

Better to just buy the new nut though... it will fit your 45 and it's cheap enough as well.

floodgate
02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Harry:

"The plunger turns with the pressure screw until it contacts the lube. Is the plunger worn out?"

No, that's fairly normal for the older ones with the brass "piston rings"; if it gives you a problem, take the cap off and use a small screwdriver wedged into the piston to keep it from rotating, until it gets down to and bears on the lube. The new, double-O-ring pistons are drop-in replacements, and do work better; if you get one, get a couple of sets of spare O-rings.

floodgate

Harry
02-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey, thanks guys. I guess I will invest in a replacement plunger. flood, that is what I did to rememdy the problem for now. I used a small screwdriver to put pressure on the surface of the plunger and was able to get it down to the grease, which, by the way, has been in the 45 since the sixties. I tried heating it with a heat gun. Got some out, but it seemed to be pliable, so maybe I can still use what's in the luber. What do you think?

Thanks,
Harry

floodgate
02-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Harry:

All's I can say is, "try it" and see if the lube flows OK. If not, a bit more heating with the tool stripped down, or boil it out in an old bucket as has been suggested here several times. Give the old plunger a try with fresh lube when you get it re-loaded; mine still work fine if I baby them a little; the grease expands the brass ring (allee-samee a gas engine piston ring) and makes a pretty good seal, at least with the NRA mix I've got in one of them now.

Floodgate

Patrick L
02-13-2008, 09:28 AM
I acquired an old 45 about 2 years ago. The price was right and I wanted a second sizer to run a different lube (I also own an RCBS.) Mine even came in the origial box with the metal reinforced corners, and the little "skate key" type wrenches.

I too am beginning to like that old 45 more and more. It seems to be spot on in terms of alignment. I go easy on it, I only size bullets down .001 or so, and I run a heater to keep even the soft lube a little gooey.

I think I'll look for another one!

PatMarlin
02-16-2008, 10:53 PM
I've got three and love em'... :drinks:

chinewalk
02-22-2008, 04:45 PM
I use an old 45 that I bought 25 years ago. It works fine on everything I shoot including the .500s.

94Doug
02-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Has anyone watched what they sell for on ebay lately? 2-4 months ago, you could still buy one for 25-35 dollars.... last week one went for $85.

Doug

PatMarlin
02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
There's always some fool that will pay double for just about anything on eBay. I wouldn't take that as a barometer on what they go for now.