PDA

View Full Version : This Day In History 1965

fatnhappy
10-22-2014, 08:26 PM
This day in history
Oct 22, 1965:
173rd Airborne trooper saves comrades

In action this day near Phu Cuong, about 35 miles northwest of Saigon, PFC Milton Lee Olive III of Company B, 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry, throws himself on an enemy grenade and saves four soldiers, including his platoon leader, 1st Lt. James Sanford.
The action came during a patrol that made contact with Communist forces on the southern fringes of the infamous "Iron Triangle," a traditional Communist stronghold. Private Olive's body absorbed the full, deadly blast of the grenade and he died saving his comrades. Lieutenant Sanford later said of Olive's act that "It was the most incredible display of selfless bravery I ever witnessed." Olive, a native of Chicago (http://www.history.com/topics/chicago), was only 18 years old when he died; he received the Medal of Honor posthumously six months later. The city of Chicago honored its fallen hero by naming a junior college, a lakefront park, and a portion of the McCormick Place convention center after him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5a/Milton_Lee_Olive.jpg

Medal of Honor citationPrivate First Class Olive's official Medal of Honor citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Pfc. Olive was a member of the 3d Platoon of Company B, as it moved through the jungle to find the Viet Cong operating in the area. Although the platoon was subjected to a heavy volume of enemy gunfire and pinned down temporarily, it retaliated by assaulting the Viet Cong positions, causing the enemy to flee. As the platoon pursued the insurgents, Pfc. Olive and 4 other soldiers were moving through the jungle together when a grenade was thrown into their midst. Pfc. Olive saw the grenade, and then saved the lives of his fellow soldiers at the sacrifice of his own by grabbing the grenade in his hand and falling on it to absorb the blast with his body. Through his bravery, unhesitating actions, and complete disregard for his safety, he prevented additional loss of life or injury to the members of his platoon. Pfc. Olive's extraordinary heroism, at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty, are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

Artful
10-22-2014, 08:41 PM
thanks for posting

buckwheatpaul
10-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks for posting...I just wish, hope,and pray that there will always be someone to answer the call for service!

big bore 99
10-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks for posting. A true American hero.

gbrown
10-22-2014, 09:49 PM
An American hero. God Bless him! I'm glad there have people like him in the past and pray our Nation will have them in the future. I'm sorry he had to (or chose to) sacrifice himself for his comrades, that's the way it is. Being a soldier is the toughest life. Getting into combat and having to make those decisions is the toughest choice one can have. I'm proud of him and the young people serving our Nation today.

gbrown
10-22-2014, 09:52 PM
Additionally, I'll post this, I couldn't besmirch the memory of that young man in the same post. It's too bad we do not have any leadership in D.C. today, Democrat or Republican. None of those wonderful people would jump on a grenade for you or me!!! Just gotta luv 'em.

Bzcraig
10-22-2014, 10:30 PM
There are many who have, and I'm convinced who will, follow in the steps of that PFC. Our politicians, with few exceptions, are gutless, cowardly, power and money whores not worthy to even speak the names of this countries finest who have given so much. BUT, there are men all across this great country STILL willing to give their all for what this country REALLY stands for! Also, take a look at my tag line.

MtGun44
10-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Incredible display of love for fellow man. This is true
hero.

Bill

Char-Gar
10-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Thanks for keeping the memory of this hero alive.

.22-10-45
10-23-2014, 01:34 AM
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

triggerhappy243
10-23-2014, 02:12 AM
Bzcraig..... AMEN to that.

Thin Man
10-24-2014, 02:26 PM
When I read the summary of Private Olive's actions I got a memory flash of a TV show I saw when I was probably 9 or 10 years old. The show was G.E. Presents, an afternoon 1/2 hour program. The story line was about recruit training for a new crop of GI's. One of these young men was a small, timid soul (African-American) who became the target of all the other recruits' pranks and frustrations. No one liked him and they let him know about it. He took all their grief in stride and never fought back. Then came the day of live fire practice with grenades. One of the antagonists got overly nervous after pulling the pin from his grenade and dropped the grenade beside his own feet. The drill instructor called out the threat and dove for cover as did most of the recruits. But not the one most hated man in the group. The recruit who had been abused by all the others ran forward and dove on top of the grenade. He knew he was going to die but made his move to save the others. Time passed and nothing happened. The grenade was a dud! The drill instructor called the "all clear" and the recruits cheered and gathered around their new hero. The following week the hero was promoted to PFC. The hero was...Sammy Davis Jr. I can still see this movie in my mind after all these years.

Private Olive was 18 years old in 1965. He and I were born within a year of each other. Makes me wonder if he saw this same movie. Perhaps that was how he decided to throw himself on top of a grenade. Not that it matters. He was a real life hero who fully well deserved the Medal of Honor.

Thin Man