PDA

View Full Version : Type 99 Help, expertise/ input needed

Zacc
10-20-2014, 10:09 PM
Hey guys i recently got a Arisaka in a trade, $40. But i can't seem to figure out some things about it. First off I'm brand new to these rifles, and have scoured the internet the past 3 days trying to figure out if its worth much or not. Okay so here we go, this rifle does not the have original stock, as you can tell, but the bolt, safety and receiver have the same number, cannot see any other number anywhere on the gun. It has the single vent hole which makes me think T99. But the top of the receiver has no marks, and before y'all say that it was ground off, i for the life of me cannot see any difference in radius or anything. But it has the full serial number, series mark, and arsenal mark too, i want to say series 25 from Kokura. Also it has 3 scratches to the right of that, I can't tell if they're supposed to be there or not. Next is the barrel, it is rifled, that is very clear, but the barrel is only 15 3/16 long from the edge of the receiver, which leads me to believe that its not the original barrel, but whose to say. Next the sights from what I've gathered are clearly not original. The tang extensions are long gone, as are the magizine carrier, and spring. The chamber is not cast, you can see the machine marks on it. Can anyone please help me figure out what I have got on my hands?? Finally the safety has no knurling on it at all, or it has been worn off. 119772119773119774119775119776119778119779119782

Zacc
10-20-2014, 10:12 PM

Scharfschuetze
10-21-2014, 12:56 AM
I think that you are right in assuming that the rifle was made at the Kokura arsenal. The lack of spiral grooves on the safety would indicate that it was made late in the war when steps were taken to simplify manufacture of weapons. The lack of a crest on the receiver ring is common with rifles that were surrendered to the occupation forces.

You can make of search of the site here as there are lots of threads on Type 99 rifles.

leadman
10-21-2014, 02:13 AM
Sure looks like my T99s. You are probably ok on the barrel length but you may want to measure from the closed bolt face to the end of the barrel to make sure it is longer than 16".
From the fuzzy picture it looks like it might be an original barrel. Do slug it as most seem to run large. Most T99s had chrome lined bores except for some of them toward the end of the war.
A chamber cast would also be a good thing as many were reamed out for the 30-06 and other cartridges. If the chamber is original brass is very easy to make from 8 X 57 by just running it thru a full length die. Lee sells the dies for these if it is still 7.7 X 58.

Zacc
10-21-2014, 02:35 PM
I'll definitely get it slugged, I'm taking it to get a head spacing done today, and I'll mention the chamber cast. What did you mean by the occupational forces, like the allies? I've read a lot about grinding or defacing the mum, but this has neither the type markings nor the mum, and I cannot see any grinding marks.

Eddie2002
10-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Looks like a sporterized 99 with both the front and rear sights replaced and the barrel shortened. I don't think any 99 had that type of rear sight. The rear of the bolt looks like it has been ground down to remove the military groves, you can see where the bolt was welded together on the safety knob and the bolt handle is round not oval as issued. Smoothing off the top of the chamber and removing the mum is pretty common for sporterized 99's, you have a nice shooter there, enjoy it.

Zacc
10-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Wow, I didn't even realize the bolt handle. I had noticed that it didn't look like the others, great spotting. It needs a new stock, this one is garbage. I'm getting a chamber cast done, hoping it's 30-06. If the mum was removed they did a fantastic job blending it in