PDA

View Full Version : When the Factory Says: Factory Installed Only...

Pinsnscrews
10-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Does that mean a Licensed Gunsmith can order and install the parts local, or do I absolutely have to send the firearm to the Factory for repair?

First Generation TC Contender
The Interlock Screw (schematic item 88B) is very sloppy on the Interlock Safety (schematic item 89-1).

First, I sent an email to Smith & Wesson to determine if the parts were even still available, what the cost was, and the current SKU numbers so they could be ordered. S&W sent me back an email simply stating that if I wanted to order the parts I needed to call. No mention of them being factory installed, whether the parts are available nor any pricing. They did however, include an actual Extension, which put me in a quicker Queue than the one I was in before deciding to email them.

The very polite, and nice, young lady who answered was very helpful, and was very willing to give me a shipping label to send the Contender in for repair, with a quoted time of 3-4 weeks. However, I am not the Original Owner, therefore the Warranty does not apply. So any costs are out of my pocket.

I do not mind paying a GS to repair the Contender Safety system, or to pay them for their time in ordering the parts, and I can install them. I just don't want to spend the time mailing the Contender all over the country for 2 little tiny parts that are very easy to install.

pietro
10-20-2014, 06:18 PM

Firearms manufacturers, usually following their corporate legal advice, typically handle parts in one of three ways:

* Sell/ship directly to the customer.

* Factory-approved gunsmith/repair center for fitting/installation.

* Factory installation only.

IME, if a factory specifies "factory installation only", it's not gonna happen until the firearm is returned to them.

BTW, under Federal Law, it's entirely legal for any private citizen to send & receive back their own firearm to/from any FFL or factory for repair or customization - so the Contender would go directly from you to T/C, and directly back from T/C to your door.

Pinsnscrews
10-21-2014, 01:32 AM
Thank you for your reply Pietro. I have never been in this position, so I was not certain how it would work.