PDA

View Full Version : pins in lee mold move

nekshot
10-20-2014, 03:40 PM
After all the lee molds I have this is the first one with a problem and no I am not bashing lee's nor do I plan on sending this one back. The 2 pins that keep the mold together back out. Any easy fixes other than a punch to the side of pin hole to snug it up and stop it from backing out?

MT Chambers
10-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Lee is now using self-adjusting pins.

Duster340
10-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Set them to the correct depth and then make a few small burrs behind it (flat side) with a small punch or nail. The burrs prevent the pins from backing out. Learned that here (found several threads via search )and cured the same problem I was having with a Lee .40 mold.

Be well.

Jackpine
10-20-2014, 09:10 PM
I went to the hardware store and found a 1/4 long machine screw, that with a little force, self threaded into the hole. I bought a couple dozen and put them in my die box, as it seems they all have the same problem. Not sure why I would want to get the pins out, but figured this gave me the option rather than peening or punching, if I ever came up with a reason I wanted to take them out.

Jackpine

Rockastr
10-20-2014, 11:39 PM
I had the same problem and sent the mold back to Lee. They fixed it by heating up the metal and then used a punch to stake the pins... At least that is what it looks like. They did a good job and I am satisfied but you could probably do the same without all of the bother...

1989toddm
10-21-2014, 12:17 AM
I had the same problem, just used a punch to peen the aluminum into the hole up against the pin. Make sure you keep the mold tightly closed as you do this.