PDA

View Full Version : personel info. history

BigGun
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
hello forum members: this thread is off subject, but i would like to get to know more
about members I post with.would any of you care to share your history?
I am 71 years young,was forced to retire in nov.1998,(heart problem,5 bypases,
doctors told me to retire or i would not live to see 65.)so I retired from a local
printing firm after 36 yrs as purchasing agent,( my2nd full time job of my working
life.wife and i raised one daughter, we have 2 granddaughters, 2 great grandsons.
Still living in home we bought in may of 1965.wife and i were married dec. 8th
1956, don't know how she put up with me all these years.my hobbies are , guns,
reloading , casting,hunting, fishing, gardening, wife is still working, says she will
work untill they lock the door to keep her out.
My guns consist or 14 rifles (.22 rimfire to 8mm) (handguns consist of 11 .22 rimfire
to 45 lc) load for all ,except rimfire of course. cast for all handguns from .357 to
45lc. I have no collectable guns.If i can't shoot a gun, I don't want it.

I am president of local gun club (Old Fort Sharp Shooters) our range is on state
wildlife area, 10 mi south west of town.our rifle and handgun ranges are 15yrds to
100 yrds, working to get 300yrd range,we have trap range also (but no skeet)
We have over 70 members of which about 20 shoot reguarly.

Hope I have not bored you.
Ted Kelley

AlaskaMike
02-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Welcome Ted! I just turned 36, so it sounds like you worked in your job as a purchasing agent longer than I've been alive! :D I have a few rifles, but I'm primarily a revolver shooter. I just picked up an M1 Garand last year and became a member of the Alaska Rifle Club, and I'd like to do a high power rifle match when we thaw out up here.

Again, welcome!
Mike

Buckshot
02-07-2008, 02:38 AM
.............Ted, there's some of this over on Shooters.com and the Cast Boolits forum.

..................Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
02-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Ted, 1936 was a great year! When's your birthday, mine is 8-12. I retired about a year after you did. I have a checkered medical history too, two heart attacks, a roto-rooter, a triple bypass, and a stroke. I retired about a year after you. (I don't get a lot of retirement, but my young trophy wife supports me and even encourages buying more guns.) For my lengthy list of hobbies, see my profile.

BigGun
02-07-2008, 11:39 AM
NVcurmdgeon

my birth date is 11/09/36, yes 1936 was a very good year. thanks for your
info.
Ted Kelley

trooperdan
02-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Welcome aboard Ted! I've just hit the "magic age" when I applied for social security, 65 last September. Retired from the 82D Airborne in '84 after 22 years, still "working for the man" as a civil service computer nerd. Looking forward to retiring and meaning it in 2-3 years. Had a single bypass a couple of years ago, hopefully won't need to have that done again!
Used to do a bit of sky-diving but havn't jumped now in about eight years; they have build a verticle wind-tunnel just a couple of miles from the house so I can "free-fall" with less risk on the old bones, looking forward to trying it. I collect military surplus rifles, shoot Glock pistol competitvely, high power rifle half-assed and enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting! Oh, and I have one of those young trophy wives that keep me on my toes as well! :)

BigGun
02-07-2008, 05:29 PM
trooperdan

congrats on your mil service.I was never in the mil. blind in left eye, they would
not take me.are your mil rifles collectables(valuable) ?or you collect to have them
to look at.I belong to a local practical pistol match club and also compete, My
compitative handguns are 45acp colt1991a1 and s&w 625. I have had a bad
experence with glock handguns, had a model 36 blow up on me. was not hurt.
glock repaired it but i was afraid of it so i traded it off, It was my concelled carry
piece, Now have a taurus model 605 .357/38 as my carry piece. i took flight lessons
enouth to fly a ultra lite, but have mellowed out since, have not been in air for
20 years, instead i got into radio controlled models in the early 90's, gave that up
in 1999. i really enjoy retirement, don't know when i had time to work. i would not
be able to keep a work schedule now.
thanks for your info
ted kelley

Pavogrande
02-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Hi Kids - 1933 here -- retired about '95 after 35 years with a large corp. I was a machine builder then manager of the experimental shop. Have about as many weapons as my age, mostly collecter items that shoot. Older military. and some winchesters - A friend recently passed away and left me about 8 weapons, 2 krags, 03, m71 &71/84 mausers, 11mm rem roller, and a danish krag -- the krag will be a challenge making cases and 329 boolits. At present my favorite shooter is win m43. 218bee, with cast boolits of course -- been reloading, casting and all since mid fifties --

Buckshot
02-08-2008, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE=Pavogrande;285784]and a danish krag -- the krag will be a challenge making cases and 329 boolits. QUOTE]

..............Lee makes a 2 cav, 205 gr design in .329".

.............Buckshot

Pavogrande
02-08-2008, 02:38 AM
Buckshot - thanks for the info on the lee mould -- I have not slugged the bore yet, my friends notes said it was .329 bore. Also the cases may be reformed from 45/70, may have to squeeze the base down a bit -

trooperdan
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Ted, I have to know more about the Glock 36 blow-up; that is also my favorite carry piece! I know how Glock's are, especially the .40's but I've always been comfortable with the .45 as it is a lower pressure round. Were you shooting factory ammo or reloads?

BigGun
02-09-2008, 01:18 AM
trooperdan
the load was 200gr rnfp, 5.5gr 231, don't know case make ,cci primer,this load is
mild, have used it for about 5 yrs now.this happened in late june of 2007,
temp was around 80degs. was practicing strong handed (1), had I been holding the
36 2handed i would have lost the fleshy part of my hand just forward of wrist and
behind little finger.hand was numb for 30 min.
the blowup blew out the mag(destroyed it completely),blew out the mag release button, cracked the frame on both sides, destroyed the trigger,.

By removing the mag with a round in the chamber turn gun but up, look into the mag
well with a strong light, angle light toward the barrel, you will be able to see the
amount of the case that is unsupported.
ted kelley

BigGun
02-10-2008, 10:19 PM
thanks to all who posted to my thread about personel info and history.
nice to know i am not the only old fart lurking around this forum.was too cold here
(20degs, ne wind felt like 0degs wind chill)to go to the range to shoot, had a very
boring day, I loaded .308 150 &170 grn. 25 each as a test for accuracy,2/9/08 at
range tried 150grn ahead of 9.8 gr of unique, shot good, but am trying 10.8grns
to see if more accurate. also loaded 50 44 spl for my bulldog. 7.2 gr unique
behind 200gr rnfp.
again thanks to all for sharing your info with me.
ted kelley