PDA

View Full Version : CV Schmitt Model 17

Pressman
10-20-2014, 02:50 PM
This is the end result of my efforts to locate a Star press. I traded the Star for this Model 17.
The 17 is a large, heavy press that is way over engineered. I still do not know how it all works. It i
has 30-06 dies and is likely had three previous owners. It is all complete, missing only the primer funnel and tube feeder tube. There is an auto primer feed tube running down the back side of the frame.
The weight is about all I can lift and maneuver into the light box for pictures, about 60 pounds or so. I will weight it later.
The original owners had bought and fastened a Belding and Mull Model 25 tool to the back side of the frame to serve as a bullet puller. B&M had an excellent bullet puller back then. The story is the press was originally used in a National Guard armory to load practice ammunition. The second owner got it from there, never used it and traded it for part of his bill in repairing his airplane. The man I got it from never used it either.

These presses were made in very, very small numbers in the late 1930's.

This is a rare and great find.

Ken119695

catskinner
10-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Con Schmitt also converted Lyman 55's to micrometer adjustable measuring drums.

LUBEDUDE
10-21-2014, 12:23 PM
That is something special right there!

Thanks Ken

Wayne Smith
10-21-2014, 05:20 PM
WOW! That's all I can say. I'm not even jealous.

Pressman
10-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Schmitt did make a micrometer adjuster for the Ideal#5 and early #55. It is really rare. I have seen one but have yet to locate one for sale. The pictures are of one in a fellow ARTCA members collection. These were advertised once that I have found in 1952.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
10-23-2014, 02:19 PM
That is slick!

bbqncigars
10-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Very nice old machine work. I'm wondering what purpose the slit in the main brass body serves. Locking the adjustment screw? Then it would need a through bolt to give it the necessary tension. Such might be there, but impossible to tell from the photos.

Pressman
10-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Central Iowa person I do not know the reason for the slit. I have more pictures that I have not had time to process. Maybe I can tell once I look at all of them. If not I will have to get the measure from the current owner for examination.

Back to the topic, I got the Model 17 out of the light box this evening and plopped it on the bathroom scales. It weighs 73 pounds as pictured. No wonder I strained a lot of muscles lighting that thing.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
10-26-2014, 12:40 AM
73 LBs! How much weight do you think the B/M 25 adds? Probably not a whole lot?

That Beast may surpass the almighty Hollywood.

But then, I haven't weighed my Automatic Shotgun Press yet.

I think I blew a gonad packing that into the small trunk of a Camero and then into the floorboards of a truck- where it still lies.