PDA

View Full Version : What sling would you put on this Marlin?

Jevyod
10-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Like the title says, I am looking to put a sling on my marlin. I would like something that looks good with the setup I have. The thing is, with the color of the stock, I am not sure how a leather sling would work. Maybe a black leather? Anyway, here is the gun;119668

W.R.Buchanan
10-20-2014, 12:58 PM
I am a big fan of 1.5" wide nylon belt material. I make slings out it for guns that I have to tote a lot. The extra width spreads the load out on your shoulder and the belt material feels nice against your shoulder. Perfect for your Guide Gun.

You simply take a strip of the material and two 1.5" Plastic Belt Buckles and thread the strap thru 1 1/4" Uncle Mikes Detachable Sling Swivels. It goes thru just fine. This is light and very effective and more than enough for a Carry Sling.

If you need something you can strap into for target shooting then it is a little more complicated but still easily doable.

Randy

BethelHntr
10-20-2014, 02:44 PM
I really like the montana sling

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.montanagunslings.com%2F&ei=rVdFVI2pDcP1iQLkxYHAAQ&usg=AFQjCNGg69wiZevpudgsaBEaJgRqG0URRA&sig2=7cXMDu_BjqWaJF-tXDdIwQ

OverMax
10-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Hunter Cobra or a Browning. Leather only. Nothing fancy just basic shoulder carry is my suggestion.

pworley1
10-20-2014, 07:59 PM
All my rifles that have a sling, have a m1907 on them. When I find a better sling I will switch.

Gtek
10-20-2014, 09:22 PM
I have several with that laminate, I have a roll of black Para-Cord and was going to make slings for mine using the Cobra Stitch if I ever get around to it. Have HD 1 1/4" QD slings, proper length for left arm wrap mount, screw loops to board and away I go. Whenever that is!

johnny_xring
10-20-2014, 10:53 PM
I too, have looked at para-cord slings (don't have one yet-lots of Turner 1907s for High Power competition rifles though) and think these are something you could tailor to your preference to look good and work with a hunting lever gun. Show off that laminate stock and SS metal and still be functional (and useful) with some really good color choices: www.sandstormcustomrifleslings.com (http://www.sandstormcustomrifleslings.com). I don't have any affiliation or business with them but they caught my eye for my 336 30-30, 1894 45LC, and (my latest) 1894C .38/.357. Functional rifle "Bling" that still works. I really like the weaves, width selections, and colors (and the prices--I couldn't make them that nice). JMHO.

JX

GabbyM
10-20-2014, 11:04 PM
I keep a few of the $3.00 nylon military slings around. With Uncle Mikes quick detach swivels.

Lead Fred
10-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Uncle Mike made a one handed sling, I have one on every firearm that takes one.
They sold the design to Gander Mt, and they still sell them.
Winchester makes a knock off, that has plastic swivels, I dont buy those

Nicholas
10-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Asking about a sling is a good excuse for showing a pic of a nice gun sporting a laminated stock and large loop lever. I also like the set up with the scope.

Jevyod
10-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Asking about a sling is a good excuse for showing a pic of a nice gun sporting a laminated stock and large loop lever. I also like the set up with the scope.
SSSSHHHHHH!!!!! Don't tell!

dragon813gt
10-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Marlin....sling that looks good.....sees scope on said Marlin :( How's that saying go? You can't polish a turd ;)

All kidding aside get a sling that's comfortable. Nothing bothers me more than one that won't stay on the shoulder or one that digs in. I've been making them out of paracord. I tailor them to the correct length for me. They hold up very well and are comfortable for me to use. I have a thing about not buying an item when I can make it. Slings fall into that category.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Firearms/D4B74BE2-B90A-4EE6-A303-771740BE3987-8997-000006F3CC3D378F_zps8cfd886c.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/Firearms/D4B74BE2-B90A-4EE6-A303-771740BE3987-8997-000006F3CC3D378F_zps8cfd886c.jpg.html)

Gtek
10-22-2014, 12:06 PM
That's what I am talking about, and a big piece of string to pull out your Macgyver if you need it!

dragon813gt
10-22-2014, 12:16 PM
That's what I am talking about, and a big piece of string to pull out your Macgyver if you need it!

I don't make them because of my inner MacGyver ;)

My dog destroys collars in short order. I can make him one out of paracord in ten minutes and it holds up better than one I would buy. If I didn't have the paracord on hand I would buy one of the nylon ones at Walmart. Slings are about comfort and function in my eyes.

Jevyod
10-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Well I am glad not all of us see beauty in the same way!!! I really really like the looks of my marlin! I realize some guys don't really like the looks of a scope on a levergun, but hey, each to his own:bigsmyl2: I am probably not old enough to be a purist! (am 29) I know some old guys around here shake their heads at me. First off, (and I know I am treading on dangerous ground here!!) I prefer a nice laminate/ stainless to walnut and blued! Next, I powdercoat my bullets! I am amazed how many guys hate it simply because it doesn't look traditional. Never mind that it works beautifully!! Third, is the fact that I scope EVERY GUN I OWN!!!! And yes, I have a 1951 Marlin 336 in 35 Remington that wears a scope! I like the looks:D Does that make me a worse person? I don't think so! That is just me and who I am! And no, I didn't take any offense at all at dragon813G!!! Feel free to express whatever you please!! And I am not trying to start a fight! All this was written with a smile on my face and a good feeling inside[smilie=w:After all, I would not bash a fellow Pennsylvanian!!!!

ps, this was in no way meant to start a fight or bash anybody! Even if you are one that prefers walnut/blued, never scopes a levergun, and would never powdercoat a bullet! I have a lot of respect for everybody on here and we need all of you!!

dragon813gt
10-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Talk about a CYA post ;)

I'm the opposite of you. I've taken scopes off all my rifles. Woods are to thick to warrant their use. I'm 35 and this decision may come back to haunt me in my old age. But I can always add a scope if my eyesight deteriorates :)

Jevyod
10-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Well didn't want anybody to be offended!!!!!:bigsmyl2: But I know what you mean about thick woods! That's why I went with a 1-4x20! 1 power for thick cover and 4 power for fields :happy dance:

ole 5 hole group
10-22-2014, 02:38 PM
I use a 1" sling on my Marlin.

MaLar
10-22-2014, 03:42 PM
I love this one.
http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=latigo+sling&ksubmit=y
I even copy them not so hard to do

rosst
10-22-2014, 04:26 PM
i just shoot more accurately with a scope . .. . more so as the range increases, more so i as i age . . . i like both.

Nicholas
10-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Well didn't want anybody to be offended!!!!!:bigsmyl2: But I know what you mean about thick woods! That's why I went with a 1-4x20! 1 power for thick cover and 4 power for fields :happy dance:

I use a Weaver 1x3x20 on my 30-30. The optics at a true 1x give a brighter image than the iron sights in the woods and is easily used with both eyes open. The 3x allows for more precision for a shot through the understory growth. I don't deny that my gun looks great without a scope; it is simply more functional with the scope and that counts for a lot. I would never put some inappropriate monster scope on any of my Marlins, but these compact low-power scopes mounted low as Jevyod has done looks like they belong there and are fully functional and appropriate to the capabilities of the firearm.

After lots of desert time in the summers, I finally had cataract surgery and got rid of fuzzy vision and my coke bottle glasses. Because of the fixed focal distance of cataract replacement lenses, a scope is essential on my rifles if I want any precision in bullet placement.

TXGunNut
10-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Mine wears a padded black nylon sling with a little stretch to it to make it more comfortable for a long day in the field. Has ammo loops to stow the ammo when getting in and out of the truck. Works fine for support as well.