PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip!

TXGunNut
10-20-2014, 01:53 AM
I'm on vacation this coming week but I have a few major pieces of business to handle for my mom. If I get things done there will be a big white Mercury headed for Raton Thursday morning. Haven't been to Whittington center in over seven years, can't believe it's been that long. Took my dad there on the way to a family reunion in 2007, he left us the next year. He was a lousy spotter but a great travel companion. ;-) My 45-90 has a folow-up date with a certain steel buffalo but she'll have to wait. New mainspring and compressor have been patiently waiting but I simply haven't had the time. Dunno what I'll be shooting, may even take a class just for grins. Guess it really doesn't matter, my dad loved to sit & watch the ocean. I need to stare at the mountains now and then.

RED333
10-20-2014, 06:22 AM
Be safe on you trip, have fun.

cbrick
10-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Been far too long since I've been to the Whittington Center also, beautiful place you'll enjoy it.

Rick

pworley1
10-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Sounds like a great week.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-20-2014, 03:05 PM
My wife and I were headed to the National BPCR Matches at Whittington in 1995. We were climbing a hill eleven miles west of Needles, Ca. As we were approaching the summit the car [1988 Ford Taurus] lost its go. I called for a wrecker and had it towed to the Ford dealer in Needles. The transmission was just so much scrap mettle. I rented a car and we spent a week driving around Arizona. We came back a week later and our car was still on the rack with part of its guts hanging out. When I complained, the shop supervisor said " we have twelve cars to fix, all with blown transmissions". Our car had 50k miles on it, just out of warranty. I walked out into the parking lot and saw a young man trying to push a Mercury Sable [same trans as the Taurus] onto a small tow trailer. Another man and I helped him do the job. He told me the car had blown its transmission and it belonged to his father and he was taking it back to him. He also said it only had 46k on the odometer. I never made it to Raton and I have never bought another Ford product.

cbrick
10-20-2014, 03:23 PM
I currently have a 2000 Ford Taurus with nearly 100,000 more miles on it than yours did, trans has never been out of it. Still running fine.

Now I could tell ya a horror story about coming back from Raton when the radiator blew out on my Chevy truck in Needles, in August and the over a week I had to spend there. At least I was homebound from the Whittington Center so I did attend the Nationals that year.

Rick

GOPHER SLAYER
10-20-2014, 05:15 PM
I currently have a 2000 Ford Taurus with nearly 100,000 more miles on it than yours did, trans has never been out of it. Still running fine.

Now I could tell ya a horror story about coming back from Raton when the radiator blew out on my Chevy truck in Needles, in August and the over a week I had to spend there. At least I was homebound from the Whittington Center so I did attend the Nationals that year.

Rick I forgot to add this trip to my horror stories on the Taurus trannys. This happened after my lovely time spent in Needles. I had flown to Missouri to visit Family. My brother and his wife drove their Merc Sable to Mo. and arrived shortly after I did. When it came time for me to return he volunteered to drive me to Memphis to catch my plane. We drove to the next town and he suggested we get a bar-b-que sandwich. When we drove off the interstate and stopped the station wagon gave a lurch and refused to go forward. My brother looked at me and asked, what happened? I replied , you just lost your transmission. He was able to get into reverse and back off the side of the off ramp. I was able to barrow a car from my sister and my brother took me to the airport in it. The problem with the Ford transmissions was lack of oil to the rear planetary gears. By the time your car was made they had corrected the problem. There never was a recall however. I don't want to take the time to tell all the other horror stories about the Taurus so I will conclude with this gem. The owner of the garage that I used told me [after many trips with the car], Glen yours is the only home phone number I know by heart. P.S. I don't care for Chevys either. I had a 1960 Corvair and I took care of my daughter's Monte Carlo.

geargnasher
10-20-2014, 05:23 PM
If I swore off of every brand that broke or had pattern failures I'd be walking everywhere and ******** about the quality of shoes. God bless Fords, though, they keep mechanics from starving, and that's the honest truth.

Gear

TXGunNut
10-20-2014, 08:53 PM
For years I shot a PPC match in Raton called Rocky Mountain Nationals, even ran the line for a couple of years after I quit shooting. Place felt like home to me, remember when the Brownells cabin was the only one. First trip I was just killing time between jobs, happened to be there during BPCR nationals in 1985 or so.

bear67
10-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Everyone should go and visit. Your first visit will have you with sore jaws from your mouth hanging open. There are ranges for everyone's interests and beautiful country. We stop and camp in the RV areas every time we are traveling through. I was invited to teach for the youth Summer Adventure Program one year and enjoyed the experience. Good memories and good friends from my experiences at Whittington.

jumbeaux
10-20-2014, 09:07 PM
TXGunNut I wish I could remember the name of the café in downtown Trinidad that serves the buffalo burgers...worth the drive north of Raton...have a great time...

rick

cbrick
10-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Everyone should go and visit. Your first visit will have you with sore jaws from your mouth hanging open. There are ranges for everyone's interests and beautiful country. We stop and camp in the RV areas every time we are traveling through. I was invited to teach for the youth Summer Adventure Program one year and enjoyed the experience. Good memories and good friends from my experiences at Whittington.

I always stayed in the RV camp grounds also. Set the alarm for about 45 minutes before dawn, put the coffee on but don't turn on any lights. Sit at the dinette table and open the curtains, in a few minutes the Elk wander up the gully behind the RV area. A few minutes later the deer wander by, then more Elk. It is truly a beautiful place and we are blessed to have it.

Rick

TXGunNut
10-20-2014, 09:46 PM
First trip I had a deer outside my tent flap checking out my trash sack, had to run off a mama bear and cub from the Brownells cabin last time I worked a match there. One vacation I got tired of painting (too windy) and slipped off to Raton to sight in a new scope. ;-) Had to call a cease fire when a small herd of deer ventured onto the utility rifle range. Deer bed down regularly behind the PPC range backstop, even during matches. Keeps the tower guy entertained. Dozens of antelope show up behind the front gate & gift shop every afternoon about an hour before sundown.
If I go to town for supper I generally take a test drive up 505 from town to see the bears and elk alongside the road. Haven't been to Trinidad for awhile but they do have much better places to eat than Raton, which isn't saying much. I miss the Ice House, it was probably the best restaurant in Raton but it only lasted a few years.

35 shooter
10-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Have a good time and safe trip. There's some mighty pretty country out that way!

Rufus Krile
10-21-2014, 12:49 AM
Was there about a month ago. The critters are still active... had to shut down on the silhouette range to let some sage goats run across. The buff has been hit so much it's hard to see bullet strikes... you have to listen for the music. Have fun. The aspens were just starting to turn then so they've probably passed their prime by now.

TXGunNut
10-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Buff is safe this trip, don't have a spotter available. Maybe I could take a few cans of paint instead. Would probably take one stout mule to get my fat butt up there, lol. Don't have much cast up, let alone loaded so will probably take an 1858 Remmy and an 1860 Colt C&B revolver. Might as well take the .54 Hawken to round out the ensemble. Might as well take a couple of .22's in case some sillywets need knocking over.

TXGunNut
10-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Got some rather troubling chores done here in town today, headed for Raton tomorrow. Weather forecast is awesome, this time tomorrow I'll be enjoying a good single malt Scotch on the porch, staring at the Sangre de Christo mountains.

cbrick
10-22-2014, 08:24 PM
A scotch man huh? I have four bottles of Jack Daniels for just such an occasion, Old #1, Old #7, Old #8 and Jack Select.

Have a safe trip, I'm green with envy. :mrgreen:

Rick

TXGunNut
10-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Thanks Rick, it's been too long. Had to drag out maps and verify the route tonight.
My dad was a Jack Daniels man but only on special occasions. I've heard about the Select, sounds good. Think they have a single cask that is good as well. We drank a toast from his last bottle after scattering his ashes in one of his favorite backpacking areas. My dad liked Evan Williams as well, I kept a bottle around for him. He's been gone six years but I've replaced that bottle a time or two. ;-) I'll drink a toast to him tomorrow night, don't think he'll mind if it's a good highland single malt. Travelling a bit fast & light so won't drag a full bar along.

Rufus Krile
10-22-2014, 10:56 PM
I think you're going to find the small bore silhouette range closed... It was open when we were there a month ago but they usually close it this time of the year.

TXGunNut
10-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Hmmmm...never been there this time of year but I'll find a place to shoot the .22's. It was pretty handy to go down there after supper when staying at the Brownells cabin. One .22 was set up for PPC shooting, lots of memories down on the PPC range. Thanks for the heads-up, Rufus.

starmac
10-23-2014, 12:16 AM
Tromped around all over that country, but never went to the whittington center or stayed at an established campground. Just south of there is a dirt road/trail that will take you all the way over to costilla. 80 miles iirc and certain times of the year you can go across without seeing another person.

TXGunNut
10-23-2014, 08:29 PM
PPC range closed but Hunter Pistol is open, that's where I wanted to play anyway. Looks like I have five skeet fields, five trap fields, a five stand range and a sporting clays field all to myself tomorrow, possibly Saturday. Good thing I grabbed my new shotgun and a case of shells on the way out.

TXGunNut
10-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Tromped around all over that country, but never went to the whittington center or stayed at an established campground. Just south of there is a dirt road/trail that will take you all the way over to costilla. 80 miles iirc and certain times of the year you can go across without seeing another person.

I camped my first trip here, was planning on an overnite but was still here five days later...sleeping in a backpacking tent. Those were the days. ;-)

TXGunNut
10-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Wow, I'd forgotten how awesome this place is! It's improved quite a bit since I was here 7 yrs ago. Shot two rounds each of trap and skeet, can't believe my shotgun was an afterthought. Shooting a round (100 targets) of sporting clays tomorrow, scouted the course today and it really looks like fun. Plinked awhile on the long range sillywet range before lunch, needed to rid myself of some of that pesky .22lr ammo.;-) Went to the BP range before supper and was a little irked that the folks who got there before me were shooting modern guns. Teenage boy took an interest in my Hawken so of course I offered to let him shoot it. Unlike most kids he jumped at the chance, actually shot it quite well. Pretty sure I and his folks had as much fun as he did.:bigsmyl2:
I'd post pics but they wouldn't do the scenery justice. Better pics on the Whittington Center site. Lots of hunters spending the night here, one family is even using the competitor housing for a base camp while they hunt antelope on a nearby ranch.
Saw several dozen antelope on the way to supper tonight, saw them here and there all day along with mule deer. Hard to get used to seeing them all the time.

cbrick
10-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Ya just gotta feel sorry for NRA members that have never been there, the whole place & everything about it is stunning. Not just the scenery in the foot hills of the Rockies but everything they built there also, no half steps, top notch ranges, facilities, everything.

Rick

Rufus Krile
10-24-2014, 11:30 PM
If you want a nice drive, go down to Cimmarron and turn right. Make the drive up to Eagle Nest, at least. One of the prettiest areas anywhere. On into Red River is worth another 30 minutes, too. About an hour and a half each way.

TXGunNut
10-24-2014, 11:46 PM
If you want a nice drive, go down to Cimmarron and turn right. Make the drive up to Eagle Nest, at least. One of the prettiest areas anywhere. On into Red River is worth another 30 minutes, too. About an hour and a half each way.

My favorite drive is up 555 from Raton at about sundown. Lots of elk, deer and occasionally bear visible from the road.
Trees along the Canadian river are still quite colorful this week.
And you're right, Rick. This place is a world-class shooting facility, better than it's ever been. Just keeps getting better. I spent a half hour teasing my shooting buddy about a trip up here, one pic of one of the skeet fields and he was quite interested. As a Delta pilot he flew over the place, just never set foot there. I sure hope it's not another seven years before I make it back.

starmac
10-24-2014, 11:47 PM
If you do make that drive, eat at the Kit Carson at cimmaron. The walls are covered with old pictures of hunting camps and hanging deer, or they was 20 years ago. Also if you do, definately go on to red river. It is a tourist trap, but the prettiest one in NM.

TXGunNut
10-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Did the Red River thing about 10 years ago after I retired from PPC shooting and came up here to run the firing line for what we called the Rocky Mountain Nationals. For a tourist trap it's not a bad little town. Had an excellent "gourmet" burger in an outdoor dining area on the "main drag"...just figured out two good possibilities for lunch tomorrow. Speaking of Cimmarron I heard on the radio today that the Boy Scouts acquired the Cimmarroncita (sp?) Ranch adjacent to Philmont, adding 26K acres to their 100K+ acres.

starmac
10-25-2014, 12:35 AM
Glad to see the scouts got it, someone must have wanted to spite Turner.

TXGunNut
10-25-2014, 10:00 PM
If you do make that drive, eat at the Kit Carson at cimmaron. The walls are covered with old pictures of hunting camps and hanging deer, or they was 20 years ago. Also if you do, definately go on to red river. It is a tourist trap, but the prettiest one in NM.

Only restaurant open in Cimmarron today was the Express at the St James Hotel. Very nice decor in an historic hotel, excellent food as well. Cruised by Philmont after lunch; they had their millionth visitor this summer.

starmac
10-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Cruised through cimmaron at 3 am once, side walks had been rolled up since 6 pm, got past the edge of town and noticed flashing lights coming, pulled over to let him by. The rookie trooper (probably very bored) pulled in behind me and got out with his ticket book. I jokingly told him I probably did it, but what did I do. He said he was giving me a speeding ticket. I told him he could put his book up, as I never drove that pickup over 55. To that he said, you were running 35 when you came through town. Yup I got a ticket. lol

Rufus Krile
10-25-2014, 11:52 PM
My first trip to Red River was in 1952... it's changed a bit but it's still a place you can just turn the kids loose. More likely to get stepped on by a horse than a car... and they ain't gonna drown in THAT 'river'. Lived in the now-closed motel at Cimarron while working a drilling rig out on the Vermejo in '73. Back then it was the old Adams Cattle Co.... later sold to Pennzoil for $55/acre. Only two gates in and out... the south gate was the old Costilla road aforementioned which comes out at "Cold Beer, NM" emporium. It wasn't there in '73 so we had to get clear into town (10 miles) to get a beer. Cimarron rolls up early now but back then Augie would keep his beer joint/pool hall open as long as us oilfield trash would drink. The oilfield used to be a lot more fun than it is now....

Rufus Krile
10-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Needs a little more explanation... Pennzoil got in a cash bind and sold just about everything but their name... Devon Energy bought most of their onshore mineral holdings and Vermejo went to Turner.

starmac
10-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Yup and it takes the big bucks to hunt vermejo now, Valle vidal is next to it and it is, or was a once in a lifetime draw for elk. Just west of that is the rccla land, and elk permits are somewhat spendy and you have to hire one of their guides, which are members. I'll second that the oilfield used to be more fun, as was most any construction, but I don't think I could handle that much fun these days. lol

TXGunNut
10-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Nothern New Mexico is indeed a little bit of Heaven on Earth, got home a little while ago and I'm already looking forward to a return trip. Just hope it doesn't take me another seven years to make it back up there. It still feels like my second home but I could tell I'd been gone awhile.