PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks on the 41 mag

Irascible
02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Gas check moulds seem hard to find for the 41 magnum. Gas checks are impossible to find in .411.
Do I need a gas check for full power 41 mag loads? I don't on the 44 mag, but do on the 357 mag! Which one does it take after? If I do need them, do the 416 checks work well?

AZ-Stew
02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Depends on how hard you want to drive them.

With a hard enough alloy (edit: shoulda added earlier "and a plain-based bullet"), you can drive them as hard as you want with little or no leading. With as-cast WW alloy, I'd keep them under 1,100 fps.

All that said, I've never used a gas check bullet in .41. I use the Lyman 410459 (round-bottom grease groove Keith style, plain based SWC), the Saeco equivalent and the recent Group Buy Keith type cast from a Lee 6-banger. The only leading I've ever had was on full-power loads, and that was light smearing within an inch of the muzzle of my 6" Smith. With straight linotype and a good lube, you should have no leading. Add a bit of lino to your WW alloy and water quench them for a similar hardness and less cost.

The vast majority of what I shoot is straight WW, air cooled, powered by 6.7gr SR-7625 (gray label/can) sparked by a standard CCI large pistol primer. It runs about 950 fps from my Smith, is very accurate, is easy on both the gun and shooter and penetrates VERY well. It's every bit the equivalent of the oft mentioned .44 Mag load using 8 gr Unique, .45 Colt factory loads or any load in the .40 S&W. It's a little better than a .45 ACP.

I quit shooting "hot" loads in my .41s years ago. I don't need them.

Regards,

Stew

Leftoverdj
02-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Irascible, if you've got a mould cut for GCs, you need the GCs. Some folks have managed low power loads on GC bullets without the GC, but I never have. Fortunately, you can still get the proper GCs by ordering them from Gator or getting in on group buy from Gator.

I'm with Stew on the loads. My magnum days are over. Anything I want to do with a pistol can be done with a 210 SWC at c. 1000 fps, and that's easily done with plain base.

runfiverun
02-06-2008, 09:57 PM
you could also open the base of that mould up and remove that g/c part

jellybean
02-12-2008, 08:19 PM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm
Lyman still lists this mould although they don't list their .41 gas checks anymore.

Mavrick
02-23-2008, 06:09 PM
I've used a lot of gcs in my .41, an S&W 57 6". I like them, and came across 25K a while back, so I'm not likely to run out for a while.
That being said, My fave boolit is The RCBS 210gr semi-wadcutter, which is a plain-base Keith-type. Sometimes, I throw 'em out at over 1300fps...a lot go at 900-1050fps. I change the alloy for what I'm trying to do.
My gc-boolit is a Lyman 215gr semi-wadcutter cast of lino, and sent out at over 1300fps. I'm going to try a bunch of these, except cast some softer, at different velocities, to see any advantage for gcs. I'll write on the results later,FWIW.
If your mold is for gcs, you should use them. The gases will go around the base and flamecut or soften the lead, and streak the barrel. If the mold is not for gcs, you can't use them. .416 gcs won't stay on the base, but you could start one in the belled case, then seat the bullet....A lot more trouble than it's worth. There are dies available to make your own gcs from aluminum cans. They work...or you might look around more, Lyman doesn't make them but there are several small companies that might. I might get a die set, and sell some, tho' I haven't, yet.
If your mold is for gcs, but you decide not to use them, you can use a Dremel tool and "adjust" the mold. I had a taper-heel design that I like more, now. Be careful...you are working with the base.
Have fun,
Gene