PDA

View Full Version : Nose annealing boolits questions

Cowboy_Dan
10-19-2014, 07:56 PM
I have found the load I intend to try against a deer this season. .44 mag with a 240 gn Kieth-ish boolit. They are comercially cast and too hard to scratch with my thumbnail, so I think I should anneal the nose if I want any expansion, which can't hurt my chances. But first off, is expansion necessary using this weight and caliber? I have not chronied it, but it should be middling speed for weight and caliber.

Second question: what is the best method? I have read about a process on lasc.us which involves covering the driving bands in water and playing a lighter flame on the nose. I would need to reread the article for the exact process and to know when to stop, but is there a better way?

RugerFan
10-19-2014, 08:47 PM
I have found the load I intend to try against a deer this season. .44 mag with a 240 gn Kieth-ish boolit. They are comercially cast and too hard to scratch with my thumbnail, so I think I should anneal the nose if I want any expansion, which can't hurt my chances. But first off, is expansion necessary using this weight and caliber? I have not chronied it, but it should be middling speed for weight and caliber.

Second question: what is the best method? I have read about a process on lasc.us which involves covering the driving bands in water and playing a lighter flame on the nose. I would need to reread the article for the exact process and to know when to stop, but is there a better way?

No. Drive that boolit through the chest and you will be greeted with trashed lungs and a quick kill.

44man
10-20-2014, 09:10 AM
I have used a water dropped WW boolit of 20 to 22 BHN on deer for years with the .44 and it does the job.